cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus link and a GTX 1050? How strict are the compatibility requirements exactly?

chrisbardon
Honored Guest
Trying to get Link working with my laptop (Dell XPS15 with a 1050), and while I saw that the GPU wasn't supported, I was wondering whether that was "not supported because performance will suck" or "not supported because it'll just completely fail".  Right now I can load the software, get the prompt in VR to start Link, and then it immediately boots back to the Quest home screen.  Cable is the same one I've used to run SideQuest, so it should be OK for data + power.  Is this just a case of "wait until later in the beta" to get this working, or have others managed to get a similar configuration to progress? 
76 REPLIES 76

dustojnikhummer
Explorer
It will most likely work. Games might not, but that is another thing.
According to Oculus, GTX 1060M (which does not exist btw but lets pretend they mean 1060 MaxQ) is NOT supported, yet my Dell 5587 with a 1060 MaxQ runs Link just fine.

SamaritanMan
Protege

It will most likely work. Games might not, but that is another thing.
According to Oculus, GTX 1060M (which does not exist btw but lets pretend they mean 1060 MaxQ) is NOT supported, yet my Dell 5587 with a 1060 MaxQ runs Link just fine.

But are you referring to a Rift or Rift-S, not Quest?
The oculus support told me that with Rift-S, my 1050 Ti is supported, but with the Quest it doesn't.

SamaritanMan
Protege
This is a very strange market strategy: my Gpu passes the SteamVr test and so it can run vr games, maybe not those more intensive, but that should me a question of mines not an Oculus one.
There are many not graphical heavy games available and i could buy many of them, giving money to the software companies as i usually do with my Quest device.
Instead they decided just to ban me from even try pcvr games and apps and so from buying them.
This is a very strange market strategy that for sure can take some money to the big gpu and hardware brands, but obviously takes a lot of money away from software producers.

Richooal
Consultant

I have your exact laptop and a oculus link original cable, but my oculus pc application, gives an error in red on the top, complaining i have to reboot my pc or contacting oculus support.
I did this and we discovered in the logs of the oculus app on my pc, the issue was due just to my gtx 1050 Ti that is not in the list of supported gpu's.

its working for me now. i i held the power button for 2 seconds then pressed power off then loaded my oculus quest back up and oculus link started working

How exactly did you do it?

You said "I have your exact laptop". That guy has only made 2 posts and doesn't say if he's using a laptop or a desktop. He also only gives one spec - GTX 1050 Ti. Yours would be a mobile version and his might be a desk top version. They're very different.
Not even the GTX 1060 mobile version is supported, only the desktop version.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

808Exile
Protege
I used it with an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti FTW, (desktop version) and it worked, but when I tested it using the free Oculus Tray Tool software it was hammering the card hard. It did work though but there was some visible lag and hangs. Upgraded to a GeForce RTX 2060 Super and it results in a much smoother experience. If you encounter other problems and open a support ticket that is going to be one of the first things they are going to point out.

Ex3_Gam3r
Honored Guest

Zoidburg said:

I used oculus link on my Acer Nitro 5 laptop with a 1050 ti, it worked fine. I know the ti is supported as the bare minimum for rift s. That being said the 1050 ti isn't on the list and I had no problem using it and my laptop didn't overheat. so try another cable, make sure it's USB 3.0, I had literally 12 cables I tried that failed before I ordered one from amazon that did. This is the one I used, AmazonBasics-Double-Braided-Nylon-Type-C

thanks dude I have an acer nitro 5 too so I think I should be good

Anonymous
Not applicable
So over all, it has been working for people with a GTX 1050?

Richooal
Consultant

So over all, it has been working for people with a GTX 1050?

Nobody on this thread said that.

Some people said they got it working on a GTX 1050 Ti.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Connecting my quest via Oculus Link is working fine with my laptop. I've got a GTX 1050 (4gb) Non-Ti.

Richooal
Consultant

Mattfranc said:

Connecting my quest via Oculus Link is working fine with my laptop. I've got a GTX 1050 (4gb) Non-Ti.

According to my research............
GTX 1050 has 2GB. If your's has 4GB, it is a "Ti".

EDIT: They also released a 3GB version 18 months after release of GTX 1050.

Edit 2: I was wrong. They did indeed make a 4GB GTX 1050 for mobiles. It's getting harder to keep up these days. Sorry, @mattfranc