cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official "Books Worth Reading" Thread

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I used to be an avid reader, but over time I've found it difficult to commit to the literature being released. I figure I just must be missing out on the good stuff. Use this thread to recommend the "best of the best" that you've encountered.

I've read all but the last "Game of Thrones" (Ice and Fire) books. However, my favorite series of all time is Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. Before that, I read a ton of fantasy and horror books, but none worth really recommending. Probably my favorite Stephen King book is Needful Things.

Any other readers out there?
152 REPLIES 152

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Quick update,

I just finished Book 3 of the Mistborn trilogy. As a lover of puzzles (it's my favorite gaming genre), this series is an absolute gem. I burned through all three books in the trilogy rather quickly. I don't think I've read any series that has so many interwoven stories, formulas, and connections that sensibly unfold with surprise throughout such a rich tale of science, combat, power, and religion. Fantastic read!

On the downside... and to my dismay...
It literally ends the exact same was as the Sword of Truth series. FML. They both end with a character obtaining a Godlike status, narrating to the reader as they put the Universe, Planets, and Life itself back to the way things were before all the tragedy happened.

I could tell that I was being setup for it, when I noticed some direct cross-over with the third Matrix film. There's a part in the Book 3 of Mistborn where the Neo-like hero flies high above what the world knew as a darkened sky, goes beyond it, to see the clear view beyond. And then falls back down to darkness and ash and combat. As I read it, it perfectly narrated that scene from the 3rd Matrix film. It was then that I thought, "oh crap. This author put all his effort in to the awesome puzzles and combat of the Mistborn tale. But the overall story is going to follow a formula when it comes to its conclusion."

I'll probably move on to the next part of the Mistborn series: Wax and Wayne. Overall though, my hunt continues for something truly original.

Luciferous
Consultant
I haven't read anything like the Bobiverse before, you may want to give that a try. 

I am enjoying prince of Thorns, on book two. it's hard to compare mist-born to it as completely different writing styles but Mist has it so far I think. Prince of Thorns is a simpler tale and has many parallels to Game of Thrones in style. Great read though.

'The book of the new Sun' is hands down the most different series I have ever read but it's so different I am not sure everybody would take to it. 

As Brandon Sanderson says  'Journey before destination'. Which I think means the journey is more important than the destination.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Yeah I am learning the hard way that even with games, books, and films (Movies, TV Shows, Anime) that there is going to be a bit of regurgitation on the endings themselves; while the journeys offer up the uniqueness. I hadn't know of Brandon's quote, but it makes perfect sense. Even I am guilty of lacking originality in creating an ending. My old Mod, Mystrock, borrows its ending from Star Wars lol

It's almost as if I'm looking for an answer to a philosophical question in my quest for the perfect storybook ending.
  • The Hobbit/LOTR series has a great story and ending. Evil is destroyed, our heroes go on to live the remainder of their lives. Retirement ending.
  • The show, Breaking Bad, has a fantastic ending to a compelling story. Our hero dies. Tragic ending.
It seems like the only thing left for new stories to do, if they aren't going to borrow from the above endings, is pick between something that never ends (e.g Star Wars, The Matrix) or executes my least favorite of all endings, the comic book Multiverse ending (godlike status that changes life and the universe itself to undo tragedy and restart the story).

Although in this sense, I'm also a hypocrite because one of my favorite films of all time - Fight Club - ends with the "undo tragedy and restart the story" concept. But I loved it anyway. Most likely because it was done in a blunt way, using chaos and destruction as opposed to some supernatural power that almost rewinds time (ala Superman spinning the Earth backwards to move time back).

I find it fascinating that the stories I have loved the most above all others (the Lady Death comic series, Sword of Truth, Mistborn series) all use the ending that I dislike the most. There's a lovely bit of irony in that. Even the poppular comic, Walking Dead, ended recently. I never read the comics (I only watched the show), but I read the spoiler ending. And it employs one of the endings I mention here.

But on the bright side, I am getting back in to some heavy reading (I'm already loving Book 4 of Mistborn), so this is a fun journey.

Thanks again for all the recommendations from everyone. I'll likely be reading on a near daily hobby for a few years straight lol

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Quick update,

I completed Book 4 and Book 5 of the Mistborn series. Going to pick up the final book today, The Bands of Mourning.

Of the entire series, Book 4 was probably my favorite. It's the first book in the new trilogy of this series, and while overall it had a lot in common with how combat works in Naruto coupled with a Matrix vibe, the story itself was very unique. Most importantly, the ending of Book 4 was fantastic. I can't speak to how original it was, but for me it was something I hadn't encountered before and it was very unpredictable.

In contrast, I found Book 5 to be the least favorite of the series. It was a struggle for me to get through the story; I was never fully invested in the plot and the ending was rather lackluster. But hey, they can't all be zingers.

I'm looking forward to completing the final book in the Mistborn world; after which I will be moving on to a new series entirely.

Luciferous
Consultant
I finished Prince of Thorns trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed it. Jorg Ancrath is a very naughty boy 🙂

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

Quick update,

I completed Book 4 and Book 5 of the Mistborn series. Going to pick up the final book today, The Bands of Mourning.

Of the entire series, Book 4 was probably my favorite. It's the first book in the new trilogy of this series, and while overall it had a lot in common with how combat works in Naruto coupled with a Matrix vibe, the story itself was very unique. Most importantly, the ending of Book 4 was fantastic. I can't speak to how original it was, but for me it was something I hadn't encountered before and it was very unpredictable.

In contrast, I found Book 5 to be the least favorite of the series. It was a struggle for me to get through the story; I was never fully invested in the plot and the ending was rather lackluster. But hey, they can't all be zingers.

I'm looking forward to completing the final book in the Mistborn world; after which I will be moving on to a new series entirely.

There is actually one more book after that planned. It's been delayed but you will have another to look forward to! 

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer

I finished Prince of Thorns trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed it. Jorg Ancrath is a very naughty boy 🙂

I'm happy you enjoyed it! Like I said awhile back, it's probably one of if not my favorite series ever. The author made a second trilogy in the same universe that is ALMOST as good too FYI. 

Luciferous
Consultant
@JeremyC85 so any recommendations on my next read? ?

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Brian Lumley's Necroscope series. 

One of my top fav ever is  Swan Song by Robert McCammon. 

Luciferous
Consultant
@Comic_Book_Guy Iv'e downloaded Swan Song  🙂