cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to update to windows 10 even though i am running windows 10? [SOLVED]

Misopithicus
Protege
There is a blue bar at the top of the oculus software that says "Starting January 14, 2020, we will no longer support your version of Windows. Please upgrade to Windows 10. Learn More."  the problem here is, I HAVE WINDOWS 10 ITS EVEN THE PRO VERSION! Please help... Looked everywhere but nobody had this issue?l75tdykjxjdi.pngcuiymhn2cj2r.png

what
26 REPLIES 26

Misopithicus
Protege
Would redownloading oculus uninstall the games aswell?

Pic0o
Protege
Reinstalling should not make you need to re-download games as it would be like running an update.  If you uninstalled the Oculus software first, yes then you would likely need to re-download all your games again.

Just to verify, if you run cmd.exe, it will show your current windows version in that command prompt window.
In my case, I am on Windows Version [Version 10.0.18362.418] When googling that, it gives extended details on my patch level for 1903 build of Windows 10.

Hopefully a reboot and cmd check of your version clears that error message in the Oculus software. 

Digikid1
Consultant

How do i update it?

Just go to windows update in your settings. It will be there. No need for another full ISO install. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have windows 1909 and I reinstalled oculus and I have windows update assistant and it still appears at the top of my screen saying I can't use my oculus rift s until I upgrade to windows 10

tonywyg
Explorer

I have windows 1909 and I reinstalled oculus and I have windows update assistant and it still appears at the top of my screen saying I can't use my oculus rift s until I upgrade to windows 10

exactly same issue under W10 1909 wilth all udpates done ... :'(
Anyone have solution ? 🙂

jayhawk
Superstar
Are they legit copies of windows? I wonder that every time I see a consumer with Pro.

tonywyg
Explorer

jayhawk said:

Are they legit copies of windows? I wonder that every time I see a consumer with Pro.

yes legit copies

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
If these are legit copies and you have actually activated them (see your win10 system settings) you should be ok as far as win10 goes.

You may also need to update your USB drivers.  The easiest way is to go into win10 device manager and delete all your usb listings.  Then when you restart your PC win10 should reinstall these.  You then just need to go and check that the power savings option on each of these in disabled.

You may need to reinstall your nvidia drivers to make sure you have the win10/64 version.  I think I needed to do this when I first upgraded from win7 to win10 a few years ago (free at that time).

To make sure you get the right win10 Oculus drivers installed and recognised I suggest you unplug all your Oculus gear and do a full Oculus software uninstall as described at Oculus support;

First, to uninstall the Oculus software:

1. Click the Windows key.
  2. Type in "Add or Remove Programs" and then select Add or Remove Programs.
  3. Locate the Oculus app within Add or Remove Programs and click Uninstall.
  4. If Windows asks you if you’re sure you want to open this process, click Yes.
  5. After the Oculus app loads, click Uninstall within the Oculus app and wait for the uninstall to complete.
  6. Once the software is uninstalled, navigate to /ProgramFiles/Oculus on your computer and manually delete the Oculus folder.
  7. Restart your PC.

After your computer restarts, reinstall the Oculus software:

1. Go to https://www.oculus.com/setup.
  2. Click Download Oculus Software to download OculusSetup.exe.
  3. Open OculusSetup.exe and follow the onscreen instructions to install the latest version of the Oculus app.
After this, go through the complete setup again and plug things in along the way.  Hope this helps.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

tonywyg
Explorer
Thank you for your advices  @TomCgcmfc !

I don't really check what you write sorry, cause I see on reddit forum a solution, working for me (waiting better , support ticket is open) .
I create a "Super admin" Windows profile (or hidden admin) and install software from this new session.
>no error message, no need to update W10 (!?), and Quest is connecting as Rift S with Oculus Link 😉

So the issue is about admin rights ?

PS : using "execute as administrator" from user session not working in case you ask

phillabust
Explorer
how about a quick hot-fix patch to the oculus software to stop it from incorrectly displaying this message for people who have windows 10?

I'm not an expert, but this seems like the most logical solution to the problem..

asking us to jump through all these hoops to fix it ourselves is like... if i bought a tv from best-buy, and brought it home, and it didn't work properly, then the best-buy employees sent me a saudering kit and instructions on how to trouble-shoot and fix it myself..

just get the annoying blue message off the top of my oculus software, I'm not gonna go through the entire setup process and re-download all my games just because there's an annoying blue message at the top that shouldn't be there..

Maybe I'm way out of line here, but it's just a blue message. as far as i can tell, they are still supporting our version of windows, because we are on the latest version of windows 10. So how far are you willing to go to remove a blue message?