cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Man's Sky framerate in Oculus Link

ReverendRevenge
Honored Guest
Hi all

Finally got Link working on my PC after receiving REALLY bad advice from Oculus Support (i.e. Yes you are on the latest Quest software, when in fact I was on v8), and most things I've tried so far are very smooth.

However, No Man's Sky, running via SteamVR is awful - really laggy, gittery, etc.  Unplayable.

This seems odd, as on my previous PC I was able to run it very well in Virtual Desktop, and my new PC is far more powerful:
Intel i9 9900k
MSI RTX 2080 Duke
32gm RAM

Has anyone had any joy playing NMS through Link?
9 REPLIES 9

RattyUK
Trustee
NMS VR doesn't run at all well on my PC - to the extent that I have decided to play pancake until something sensible is done e.g. Direct mode...
Others claim to have a fine VR experience so I guess there is more to NMS VR than is apparent 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Was it purchased on Steam? I'm nor sure how Link cable works, but might it have something to do with to much Super Sampling in the Steam VR settings? I'm not even sure if Super Sampling in Steam VR settings works using Oculus Quest, but I'm just throwing this out there if it can and it's set to high.

ReverendRevenge
Honored Guest
Thanks Red Rizla (silver are better ;)) I'll have a look at that - it sounds worth a go.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I was mostly fine playing NMS and other SteamVR games over Link, but when I opened the SteamVR overlay menu, my frame rate went to hell and everything became laggy. I’m not sure why that happened, it’s always fine on my Rift and I never had that problem streaming SteamVR to my Quest with Virtual Desktop. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

jayhawk
Superstar
Man I wish people would stop using 'pancake' to describe flat. Pancakes are f' round! (lol)

enigma01
Trustee
I installed NMS last night and also suffered serious lag making the game unplayable with Link. 

I haven’t had any lag like this from any other Steam VR or Oculus game using Link.

Even after closing NMS game, the Steam VR environment continues to lag. If I take off the headset still with it connected to my PC and Steam open if I try to move my mouse curser it jitters across the screen and this continues until I close Steam VR  down. 

My specs should exceed the minimum required and my temps look okay, way below T Junction.

Any suggestions on what I could try please?

RattyUK
Trustee

jayhawk said:

Man I wish people would stop using 'pancake' to describe flat. Pancakes are f' round! (lol)

Crumpets are round too...  apart from toaster ones that are rectangular....
I also make pancakes in a rectangular skillet...

amiwrong? >:)
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've just spent around 2 hours in No Man's Sky with my Quest. I think it's pretty good in this headset - I was playing wireless, using Virtual Desktop. In fact I enjoyed it so much I lost track of time and it just died on me a couple of minutes ago.

Performance is very good playing this way. Every 5-10minutes there is a stutter for a couple of seconds, but that's all there was to worry about. It didn't bother me in the slightest.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

enigma01
Trustee
Found out what was causing my issue after installing Boneworks and having the same problem.

I recently got a new Razer mouse and with the software it installed Razer Cortex. It was attempting to optimise my Steam VR games, but was actually causing serious performance issues, during Boneworks it actually caused my computer to reboot itself. So whatever the software was doing can’t have been good! Uninstalled it and both games now work fine with no lag.