cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
BTW, I noticed something that made me in a very good mood the other day. In Boneworks, the Index res allows me to see ultra-tiny details that I'm convinced you cannot see (clearly) using CV1. This is the benefit of having nearly 100% increased res compared to CV1, but it only works if devs provide ultra-high texture res. 

In Tested's Alyx video, Norm said something that resonated with me when explaining the benefits of the Index high-res displays: "I could actually for example put my gravity gloves up close to my face and I can even read out the microchip text that was on the pcb board" 

- and then the other dude said that he was 10 years older and that had affected his eyesight so he could no longer see such tiny details, lol - jump in 10:25:

https://youtu.be/T54aGkkXfuc?t=623

It has been rumored that the Source engine is more than capable of showing ultra-high-res (4K) textures - until proven otherwise, I think what Norm experienced is a testimony of Alyx being able to provide details you'll need a high-res gen2 hmd to experience, and of course Reverb may be king of that hill... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Luciferous
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

Maybe nobody bought the Cosmos except Tom, I cannot think why you would.

You do get 5% more res than the Index - for games like Chronos, Kin and Lucky's Tale it might work great even in SteamVR res 200% (maybe also in some sims?), but agreed it may be more problematic in games needing proper tracking - but I've never tested the Cosmos, I really hope HTC can fix the tracking problems. 

Yes the controls but also the design really affects the FOV as you cannot dial it in.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
How many Index, Rift S and Quest etc have been sold altogether? Is there numbers somewhere for this? 

I'd love to see how many have sold during all time...totally number since release for every HMD?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How many Index, Rift S and Quest etc have been sold altogether? Is there numbers somewhere for this? 

I'd love to see how many have sold during all time...totally number since release for every HMD?

Doesnt exist sadly - at best - you can look at Steam Hardware and maybe get a rough idea. You would have to ask each company and they def. dont wanna spill out numbers without them being very large. At least with Steam Hardware you can only round up - so if the numbers there look good there for you on creating software - then you are fine.

Just for example, Oculus GO was sold to Walmart so you can assume at least a good few percents didn't make it to the Steam Hardware page. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

There's this one - but you have to add all years together - and then you have to correct for GO etc if you're only into PCVR (numbers seem sound for 2017 and 2018, maybe not for 2019):

https://www.statista.com/statistics/671403/global-virtual-reality-device-shipments-by-vendor/

We did the math in another thread last year, where it seems we were close to 10 mill sold hmds if you add PSVR and PCVR hmds, making it possible for devs to profit from their games - like we've recently seen with Beat Saber, Job Simulator and SuperHot VR. Zuckerberg once said you need 10 mill hmds for devs to have a sustainable platform. 
So we need PSVR as a driving force - for now - for devs to make ends meet.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kevinw729 said:

Just as I posted this, this interesting Superdata "crystal-ball gaze" came in!ujhhxnlvfdta.png 

The deeper meaning of the chart may be that about 1 mill hmds were sold in Q4 2019 - note that the chart does not include WMR hmds and more. So maybe the number of sold hmds in total grew by close to 10% in Q4 2019 which would be amazing. 
And now we're in the weird situation that increasing VR adoption isn't only about consumer interest, but seems right now limited by factories being unable to meet the demand, lol. Valve and Index may be a prime example of those new limits to adoption. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Nice  ❤️ Did see that some patch was ready for download, now I know why  🙂

BORDERLANDS 2 VR PATCH: JANUARY 29, 2020

POSTED: JAN 29 2020

Today, we will release a patch for Borderlands 2 VR that adds support for the Valve Index headset as well as some community-requested quality of life improvements!

Official Index Support

• BL2VR now supports the Index headset!
  • Added Index controller meshes, in-game controller layouts and created a new “2K Knuckles Config” Index Binding as the default option for Knuckles controllers

Motion controller-based movement

• Added an option in-game to change between head vs. MOVER-based movement

Scope Framerate Option

• Added an option to choose between 30, 60, 90, and 120 FPS for the scope window
But what I want most is support for the 4K texture pack! BTW, Borderlands 2 is in fact a real AAA game, although it wasn't built ground up for VR. It's estimated that Borderlands 2 had a $35 mill budget - and that's without adding costs of later patches and VR versions. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
God knows where this dude gets his supply from... 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valve-Index-VR-Kit-Brand-New-and-Sealed-Newest-2020-Model/223613927041?hash...

He's really not that expensive, I might sell mine for 5K  o:)

EDIT: Bummer - he's cheap because he does not have any kits "WE WILL SHIP YOU THE KIT AS SOON AS THEY ARE AVAILABLE!"  :s Sounds like fraud, unless you live in a Valve-unsupported country... 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
This looks awesome, might get one, $45 on Amazon:

bckru350jeo4.jpg5bemcx0hz2bf.jpgjh617szpojv5.jpgge5amj16gxuh.jpgs34qz0yifq04.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Played ZED the other day - this game that never really got finished, but still is a great "walking simulator":

https://youtu.be/y5bVwPZzrD8

Now, one might assume that this game would look awesome using the Index, but unfortunately I think the devs used a lot of temporal antialiasing in the game, at least it looks horrible using Index. 
I then found out that the game supports native Oculus drivers, so I could use my CV1 - and the experience is really night and day. Just like Kobold. 
You really need the have an oled hmd to enjoy some (older) games - I would not be able to enjoy ZED using an lcd hmd - at least I don't think even 144 Hz using Index res 200% would help enough (ok, it might, but that's a pipe dream for now, lol). Also performance isn't great on my rig with the Index (the game seems badly optimized), I greatly enjoy having asw 2.0 to help me out.
ZED has official Index support, but it does not really matter before devs redo the entire game to ensure that lighting, antialiasing etc. are appropriately set for lcd hmds:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/953370/ZED/