cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infinite restart loop bug

Anonymous
Not applicable
Support are you looking into the infinite boot loop "Oculus software restart required"?? There is no public announcement from you guys acknowledging the bug even exists despite admitting to my self and numerous other users via support tickets, so do Oculus have any intentions of letting people know this bug that they have said they have no ETA on a fix for exists to prevent people buying headsets that could possibly arrive plagued by this bug? My self and lots of other Rift S users have had essentially had our previously working headsets took off us due to this bug and the lack of support Oculus is offering is just wrong.

I have been in contact with support and followed every step the guy has gave me and reinstalled the software on 3 different computers (2 of which worked perfectly with the headset for over 3 months) more times than I can remember... I have provided logs from 2 of my computers also. Basically jumped through every generic hoop and more. The support has got a point where I have been told they need to investigate the issue further and I will have to wait 3-4 working days until I next get a reply.

I get it bugs happen but the way this is being handled is just sketchy and underhanded, there is a headset bricking bug out there and Oculus won't even publicly admit it. I my self have only been dealing with this problem since Saturday the 25th other users I have spoken to though have been dealing with this issue as far back as December, all of whom have contacted support and have had the software bug confirmed to them by support. Again people have been reporting this bug since December and Oculus still have not publicly admitted it is a problem while telling people via support tickets they know it is... how this is legal I don't know.

People have been left without a ETA since December for this headset bricking bug when are Oculus going to start taking us seriously?  When are Oculus going to start taking supporting their own product seriously? I hope this issue is fixed soon but based on the lack of transparency from support and the fact they have kept people waiting since December I am doubtful. I have set a date in my head once that date is passed I will be requesting a refund which I'd rather not have to do as I would prefer to have a working Rift S but at the end of the day I am not going to allow Oculus to fob me off like they have to countless others since December... We literally can't use our headsets unlike other bugs that are been given priority...

12 REPLIES 12

Tronator2000
Honored Guest
I have the same problem. I have been speaking with support to tell me that I need to wait for an update. I bought this headset in January 24th, I haven't played since then because of the problem. If I could have enough money for Valve Index I definitely would refund the oculus to buy the index. This is not normal, so I have been saving money 1 year for this. Disgusting.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Boom and there it is. You are a prime example of why I think it is so shady and underhanded that Oculus won't publicly announce this issue. Oculus sold you a headset that they knew had a defect and refused to share public announce this defect so it would not affect their sales. Oculus knowingly sold you a defective product I really don't know how this is legal.

In a similar situation my self I saved up from January 2019 for my headset and got 3 months use out of it before being bricked with this bug. I suppose I should consider my self lucky as you never even got to use yours.

Fully imagine Oculus is going to ignore this thread and not reply despite the fact I can see them actively replying to other lesser issues (I'm not saying other issues aren't important but with those issues the headset can at least be used unlike us suffering with this bug) but by all means feel free to prove me wrong Oculus support...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Furthermore assuming this bug actually gets fixed are we going to be offered anything in terms of compensation? I feel the the people waiting since December certainly deserve some Oculus store credit as well as people like Tronator2000 who you knowingly sold a bricked headset to...

TheOtherSlug
Honored Guest
Something to try that fixed this issue for me once was going into device manager, then seeing if you have a errored out USB device, disable that and re-enable it, if there is one.

TheOtherSlug
Honored Guest
c2r9lsjotsx8.pngaunxak2yyy0l.png

kobs57
Heroic Explorer

I have the same problem. I have been speaking with support to tell me that I need to wait for an update. I bought this headset in January 24th, I haven't played since then because of the problem. If I could have enough money for Valve Index I definitely would refund the oculus to buy the index. This is not normal, so I have been saving money 1 year for this. Disgusting.

My advice get the refund and get out of the FB oculus courtyard you will thank me later
VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
 MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
v14 PTC seems to have majorly improved things currently got the headset working on both computers again.

This update seems to have mostly fixed my restart required boot loop. The headset is now connecting to both of my computers with minimal effort, maybe have to restart once but this is nothing major and I often had to do this before I got the bug. Only inconsistency is that the software seems to be forgetting my play space and I have to redraw it each time I restart the computer but this is minor and nothing really worth complaining about. Just happy to finally have it back online!

Anonymous
Not applicable
All was fine till last night and now back in the restart loop... Can see from notifications that an update came in which I suspect is what bricked it again... Also still no reply from support after my quoted 3-4 days for a update, it's only been 14 days like... Disgusting excuse of a support team!

Anonymous
Not applicable
No idea why this thread is marked as answered when I clicked "no" on each reply. Yet another Oculus bug....