cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S UNPLAYABLE. Can't last 5 mins without my Rift S crashing / rebooting

Chips4hoy
Protege
I decided to pick up my Rift S after a 2 month hiatus, let's be honest, Modern Warfare happened...but back to the topic: I can't even play any game nor enjoy any kind of entertainment on my Rift S because it's crashing and then restarting itself every few minutes.  The longest game session I had lasted maybe 8 minutes or so.  

If I had to describe what I observe when the crash happens, i hear a long "beeeeeeeeep" noise, before hearing nothing but static coming from my headset.  Now, back when Rift S launched, i would be stuck in a world of static...but at least in my current experiences, the  game I was playing would resume.  During this "black screen of death" experience, i can hear fellow team mates or players calling out to me that I'm still in-game, but I have to wait about 30 seconds before I'm back up and running.  
Windows itself pops up with a notice that it "can't find my headset", and the oculus software tells me that my displayport is not connected when it clearly is.  I have the headset plugged into my only "VR Ready" USB 3.1 port

If you are reading this Oculus Support, I hope you guys can find a fix real soon.

Hardware specs: 

AMD processor, 2700x  (not overclocking)
CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB - 3Ghz
MSI Geforce 2070 SUPER
MSI b450i Gaming Plus AC mini-itx motherboard

4 REPLIES 4

DewDurtTea
Honored Guest
I'd love to know if you find a fix.  I have the same problem.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
If you don't find a solution within 2 weeks, get the CV1 instead, even if it's used.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

DewDurtTea
Honored Guest

RuneSR2 said:

If you don't find a solution within 2 weeks, get the CV1 instead, even if it's used.

I really don't want to have to hang my cameras back up 😞  

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

RuneSR2 said:

I really don't want to have to hang my cameras back up 😞  

Looked up you specs, and it looks like a good system.  You have not skimped on a deal, that system should run VR just fine. ( I know thats not helping).

Have you tried the PTC latest update,
Also have you tried unplugging every USB device - start oculus then plug in your Rift S? 
Have you tried doing a factory reset on your MD, and used default settings ?
If you decide to try any of my suggestions, post back the results.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.