cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rechargeable controllers

Infxrno7
Sightseer
i sort of wished they were rechargeable or had accessories to make them rechargeable because i go through a lot of batteries quite quickly maybe making some controllers that are rechargeable would help 
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why not just get rechargeable batteries?

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
Solution... rechargeable batteries. Believe me rechargeable controllers like the ones on the Valve are not the greatest. Imagine you're in a game and you struggled to get where you are after a few hours of play, all of a sudden you lose one of your controllers (low battery) with rechargeable battrries you can switch them on the spot, with the vive you have to plug them in for at least half an hour, your game is lost. Oculus has the greatest controllers ever built power wise 
Get yourself 4 energizer rechargeables they last for days and when you get the message switch with the ones in the charger and put the weak ones in
EDIT: Not to mention that eventually the batteries in a rechargeable controller will get weak, even rechargeable batteries have a max lifespan  what then... new controllers, a lot more expensive than a new set of batteries
VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
 MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

Infxrno7
Sightseer
just feel like that's alot more effort than getting controllers that you can just plug in overnigt other than taking the batteries out

Infxrno7
Sightseer

kobs57 said:

Solution... rechargeable batteries. Believe me rechargeable controllers like the ones on the Valve are not the greatest. Imagine you're in a game and you struggled to get where you are after a few hours of play, all of a sudden you lose one of your controllers (low battery) with rechargeable battrries you can switch them on the spot, with the vive you have to plug them in for at least half an hour, your game is lost. Oculus has the greatest controllers ever built power wise 
Get yourself 4 energizer rechargeables they last for days and when you get the message switch with the ones in the charger and put the weak ones in

fair enough ill give it a try

Ray_Sover
Expert Protege
Eneloop Pro rechargeables have excellent capacity and are ideally suited to use in controllers like these. They're very low self-discharge too, so it's no hassle to keep a spare pair ready-charged and know that they'll always be ready to go.
Intel i7-6700K OCed to 4.7GHz (all cores) @ 1.37V with Corsair Hydro H60 Rev.2 liquid cooling | Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 OCed to 1.7GHz boost clock @ 1.05V | 16GB (2x 8GB) HyperX Predator DDR4-3333 CL16 RAM | Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3 motherboard | Win10 Pro 64-bit on 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD on PCIe3.0 x4 | Corsair RM750x PSU | Oculus Rift S

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
I also have a set of those regular Eneloop, not the pros though, they last a little less than the energizer
VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
 MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

Ray_Sover
Expert Protege
Yes. The regular Eneloop is only around 75% of the capacity of the Pro. It's not designed for such heavy loads as the Pro can handle either so may take more of a hammering when the vibration kicks in.

The Energizers you recommended are very good too.
Intel i7-6700K OCed to 4.7GHz (all cores) @ 1.37V with Corsair Hydro H60 Rev.2 liquid cooling | Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 OCed to 1.7GHz boost clock @ 1.05V | 16GB (2x 8GB) HyperX Predator DDR4-3333 CL16 RAM | Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3 motherboard | Win10 Pro 64-bit on 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD on PCIe3.0 x4 | Corsair RM750x PSU | Oculus Rift S

kojack
MVP
MVP

Ray_Sover said:

Yes. The regular Eneloop is only around 75% of the capacity of the Pro.

The standard ones do handle far more recharge cycles than the pros though. 2100 vs 500.
So you need to charge the standards a bit more often, but they can handle 4 times the recharges.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kobs57 said:

EDIT: Not to mention that eventually the batteries in a rechargeable controller will get weak, even rechargeable batteries have a max lifespan  what then... new controllers, a lot more expensive than a new set of batteries

Yes, this.

I've always got a spare set ready to swap over, it's pretty much the perfect solution for the Touch controllers. Plus it's surprising how useful the eneloop pros are for all your other bits of kit in the house. Built-in Li-ion batteries are necessary for higher demand things like phones and Valve Knuckles, where regular NiMH batteries just wouldn't cope.

The Touches don't fall into that category though with battery life nearing 40 hours of play per charge.