New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rechargeable controllers

Infxrno7Infxrno7 Posts: 4
NerveGear
edited February 1 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
i sort of wished they were rechargeable or had accessories to make them rechargeable because i go through a lot of batteries quite quickly maybe making some controllers that are rechargeable would help 

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,315 Valuable Player
    Why not just get rechargeable batteries?
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • kobs57kobs57 Posts: 204
    Nexus 6
    edited February 1
    Solution... rechargeable batteries. Believe me rechargeable controllers like the ones on the Valve are not the greatest. Imagine you're in a game and you struggled to get where you are after a few hours of play, all of a sudden you lose one of your controllers (low battery) with rechargeable battrries you can switch them on the spot, with the vive you have to plug them in for at least half an hour, your game is lost. Oculus has the greatest controllers ever built power wise 
    Get yourself 4 energizer rechargeables they last for days and when you get the message switch with the ones in the charger and put the weak ones in
    EDIT: Not to mention that eventually the batteries in a rechargeable controller will get weak, even rechargeable batteries have a max lifespan  what then... new controllers, a lot more expensive than a new set of batteries
    VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
    32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
     MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
    EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
    Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD
  • Infxrno7Infxrno7 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    just feel like that's alot more effort than getting controllers that you can just plug in overnigt other than taking the batteries out
  • Infxrno7Infxrno7 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    kobs57 said:
    Solution... rechargeable batteries. Believe me rechargeable controllers like the ones on the Valve are not the greatest. Imagine you're in a game and you struggled to get where you are after a few hours of play, all of a sudden you lose one of your controllers (low battery) with rechargeable battrries you can switch them on the spot, with the vive you have to plug them in for at least half an hour, your game is lost. Oculus has the greatest controllers ever built power wise 
    Get yourself 4 energizer rechargeables they last for days and when you get the message switch with the ones in the charger and put the weak ones in
    fair enough ill give it a try

• Ray_SoverRay_Sover Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    Eneloop Pro rechargeables have excellent capacity and are ideally suited to use in controllers like these. They're very low self-discharge too, so it's no hassle to keep a spare pair ready-charged and know that they'll always be ready to go.
    Intel i7-6700K OCed to 4.7GHz (all cores) @ 1.37V with Corsair Hydro H60 Rev.2 liquid cooling | Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 OCed to 1.7GHz boost clock @ 1.05V | 16GB (2x 8GB) HyperX Predator DDR4-3333 CL16 RAM | Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3 motherboard | Win10 Pro 64-bit on 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD on PCIe3.0 x4 | Corsair RM750x PSU | Oculus Rift S
    Nexus 6
    I also have a set of those regular Eneloop, not the pros though, they last a little less than the energizer
    Brain Burst
    edited February 1
    Yes. The regular Eneloop is only around 75% of the capacity of the Pro. It's not designed for such heavy loads as the Pro can handle either so may take more of a hammering when the vibration kicks in.

The Energizers you recommended are very good too.
    Intel i7-6700K OCed to 4.7GHz (all cores) @ 1.37V with Corsair Hydro H60 Rev.2 liquid cooling | Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 OCed to 1.7GHz boost clock @ 1.05V | 16GB (2x 8GB) HyperX Predator DDR4-3333 CL16 RAM | Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3 motherboard | Win10 Pro 64-bit on 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD on PCIe3.0 x4 | Corsair RM750x PSU | Oculus Rift S
  • kojackkojack Posts: 7,063 Volunteer Moderator
    Ray_Sover said:
    Yes. The regular Eneloop is only around 75% of the capacity of the Pro.
    The standard ones do handle far more recharge cycles than the pros though. 2100 vs 500.
    So you need to charge the standards a bit more often, but they can handle 4 times the recharges.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,368 Volunteer Moderator
    kobs57 said:
    EDIT: Not to mention that eventually the batteries in a rechargeable controller will get weak, even rechargeable batteries have a max lifespan  what then... new controllers, a lot more expensive than a new set of batteries
    Yes, this.

I've always got a spare set ready to swap over, it's pretty much the perfect solution for the Touch controllers. Plus it's surprising how useful the eneloop pros are for all your other bits of kit in the house. Built-in Li-ion batteries are necessary for higher demand things like phones and Valve Knuckles, where regular NiMH batteries just wouldn't cope.

The Touches don't fall into that category though with battery life nearing 40 hours of play per charge.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.572)
    Brain Burst
    Yep. Swings and roundabouts, although the precise number of recharge cycles you'll actually get will likely be more load-dependent with the regular than the Pro when operating devices containing motors.

I'm sure the regular would still work out cheaper over its full life cycle, but at the cost of reduced usage time per charge cycle.

Assuming that you're alternating pairs from a set of 4 and having to recharge once a week, that's still nearly 20 years for the Pro.
    Nexus 6
    Depending on the games I play I recharge from once every 3 days to a week but my face is in that headset at least 7 hours a day loll
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 835
    Trinity
    kobs57 said:
    Rechargeable controllers done right are brilliant.  They would be l-ion with a docking station - would fast charge when you put them on the wireless/contact station, and run for about 18 hours on an 8 hour charge.  Just because one company failed to do it for their product, does not mean it can't be done right.
    Oculus is a company that is bringing VR to the masses, thus its low(er) cost ethos can't facilitate, but they should be an optional accessory.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
    Nexus 6
    edited February 1
    " They would be l-ion with a docking station - would fast charge when you put them on the wireless/contact station, and run for about 18 hours on an 8 hour charge. "

Yeah in a perfect world but no Co. will put those in, first because it'll cost too much and second not enough peoples will buy them because of their cost. They made the ones they make because it's a mid point between the best and crappy break easily
    Brain Burst
    Integrated batteries and charging systems have always tended to put me off buying hardware rather than encouraging me. When it goes wrong which it likely eventually will if you're a heavy user, you're potentially screwed unless it's fixable at a sensible price.

Give me an easily accessible battery compartment that takes conventional and readily available rechargeables over that any day. It only takes a matter of seconds to swap out discharged batteries for charged ones, so there's no hanging around at all waiting for anything to charge.
    Nexus 6
    edited February 1
    Even if you buy a great battery operated drill, what will you change first, not the chuck not the motor but the friggin battery. Valve  made a wonderful thing with sensors all over for your fingers but they made them so you will eventually (in a not so distant future) need to buy another set. Don't try to make me believe they didn't think of it, it's a marketing decision to have made them rechargeable. It's just too sad that peoples always want more money
  • kojackkojack Posts: 7,063 Volunteer Moderator
    Yesterday my left Touch battery ran low while I was playing TWD S&S. I changed the battery without even taking my headset off or pausing the game.
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
    Nexus 6
    Yeah that's the beauty of those wonderful touch controllers, which is what I was saying in the other post,Valve not doing that is telling it's customers "we will see you very soon and bring your wallet"