Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kevinw729 said:

How long can OculusVR still continue to support Oculus Rift (CV1)?

Oculus stopped selling CV1 in March 2019, but shops had supplies for longer, and you got 2 years of warranty in the EU. I'd say at least until 2022.

Also Oclulus still sells brandnew CV1 sensors and Touch, these also come with 2 years of warranty. I doubt that Oculus has any plans of not supporting the CV1 the next years.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:
Also Oclulus still sells brandnew CV1 sensors and Touch, these also come with 2 years of warranty. I doubt that Oculus has any plans of not supporting the CV1 the next years.

Thanks for the observation. Fundamentally support comes down to two things "ability" and "intention". 

As we saw with the bricking of the CV1's when the person responsible for the MS license left the company and no one took up the role, there is a danger that the company may be intending to support up to the-end-of-2021, but if they do not have the experienced team remaining this ability may be a mute point.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

nalex66
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Quest Link is added to Rift-S, so the Rift-S popularity may be inflated in these numbers.

For market shares we see:

Rift-S + Quest is getting close to CV1, but CV1 is still king 😉 Index is close to all WMR HMDs. Vive non-pro still is no. 2 in the race... 

Based on a rough estimation for Quest, I'd say about 2/3 of the hmds are oled and 1/3 are lcd. 

According to Steam Support, the Quest over Link is not tracked by the hardware survey, so those Rift S numbers are just for actual Rifts. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

nalex66 said:

RuneSR2 said:

Quest Link is added to Rift-S, so the Rift-S popularity may be inflated in these numbers.

Rift-S + Quest is getting close to CV1, but CV1 is still king 😉 Index is close to all WMR HMDs. Vive non-pro still is no. 2 in the race... 

Based on a rough estimation for Quest, I'd say about 2/3 of the hmds are oled and 1/3 are lcd. 

According to Steam Support, the Quest over Link is not tracked by the hardware survey, so those Rift S numbers are just for actual Rifts. 

Did see that on Reddit, when Quest Link is registered correctly it will indeed be interesting to see the impact. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kevinw729 said:

RuneSR2 said:

Thanks for the observation. Fundamentally support comes down to two things "ability" and "intention". 

As we saw with the bricking of the CV1's when the person responsible for the MS license left the company and no one took up the role, there is a danger that the company may be intending to support up to the-end-of-2021, but if they do not have the experienced team remaining this ability may be a mute point.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. If Zuckerberg wants as many as possible to adopt VR including Horizon, it might not be the very best idea to cut support for maybe more than 1 mill hmds which will work just fine with Horizon. I guess CV1 sold about 1.5 to 2 mill, but it's guesswork how many will be active in a year or two. Maybe we've all switched to PS5VR then, lol 😉

nalex66 said:

RuneSR2 said:

That's surprising and makes the jump in Rift sales pretty significant. Just out of curiosity (as I'm not using Link yet), does the Quest list as a Quest in device manager when Linked up.. or as a Rift?

If the Quest ever comes up as a Rift i don't think it will have much impact.  I know those on here who own a Quest probably use it with the Link cable but everybody i know off this forum who has bought one has done so because they are not big PC gamers (they don't own a gaming rig).
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

kevinw729 said:

RuneSR2 said:

It's amazing to think that Steamvr may be supporting the CV1 way longer than the company who actually made it. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

I think as it becomes more of a known thing... and as it improves through the beta stages, increasing numbers of people will buy Quests for both mobile and PC VR, but yeah, right now, the numbers of people using Quests with Link may not be big. Mobile untethered VR is going to remain the main reason to buy a Quest for a while yet.

I think what the Steam hardware survey will eventually show, is whether people who have a capable PC, buy a Quest instead of Rift for PC VR gaming.

I think as it becomes more of a known think... and as it improves through the beta stages, increasing numbers of people will buy Quests for both mobile and PC VR, but yeah, right now, the numbers of people using Quests with Link may not be big. Mobile untethered VR is going to remain the main reason to buy a Quest for a while yet.

I think what the Steam hardware survey will eventually show, is whether people who have a capable PC, buy a Quest instead of Rift for PC VR gaming.

Good points!  
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3