cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v14 PTC PC Software Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Oculus Link

• A new button on Dash allows to you quickly exit Oculus Link to go back to the Quest Home screen.
  • Important note: This PTC software is not compatible with the Oculus Link feature on Oculus Quest if your Quest is still on software version v12 or lower. The v13 software update is rolling out to Quest currently, which will enable you to utilize Link on both PC software version v13 and this v14 PTC. We continue to work on improving this experience in future releases. Thanks for your patience!

Miscellaneous

• Various bug fixes and stability improvements
147 REPLIES 147

nalex66
MVP
MVP

MrBMT said:

Some further information Re: v13 Quest and v14 PTC Software Oculus Link issues:
  • When you start Link, you can hear the Oculus Home environment, but you only get a black screen with three dots showing.
  • If you move about while the black screen/3 dots is happening, you can see your Guardian edges and if you move out of the play zone the Passthrough activates as normal.
  • When you move your controllers, you can hear your controllers moving over the UI.
  • If you run OculusMirror.exe within C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\ you can actually see the Oculus Rift home environment on your PC, and it moves as you turn with your headset on/move your controllers. So it's being mirrored correctly, but Link just isn't streaming it correctly to your Oculus Quest.
So currently, there's definitely an issue with Oculus Link with v13 on the Quest and the v14 PTC Software for PC.

I've had those exact symptoms before, when trying to go back into Link after exiting it. I resolved it by disconnecting the Quest from my PC, rebooting the PC, and rebooting the Quest, then reconnecting and trying Link again. Not sure if it will help, but it's worth a try. I've also found that Quest updates generally don't fully work properly until I shut down and restart the Quest after getting the update.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

MrBMT
Expert Protege

nalex66 said:

MrBMT said:

Some further information Re: v13 Quest and v14 PTC Software Oculus Link issues:
  • When you start Link, you can hear the Oculus Home environment, but you only get a black screen with three dots showing.
  • If you move about while the black screen/3 dots is happening, you can see your Guardian edges and if you move out of the play zone the Passthrough activates as normal.
  • When you move your controllers, you can hear your controllers moving over the UI.
  • If you run OculusMirror.exe within C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\ you can actually see the Oculus Rift home environment on your PC, and it moves as you turn with your headset on/move your controllers. So it's being mirrored correctly, but Link just isn't streaming it correctly to your Oculus Quest.
So currently, there's definitely an issue with Oculus Link with v13 on the Quest and the v14 PTC Software for PC.

I've had those exact symptoms before, when trying to go back into Link after exiting it. I resolved it by disconnecting the Quest from my PC, rebooting the PC, and rebooting the Quest, then reconnecting and trying Link again. Not sure if it will help, but it's worth a try. I've also found that Quest updates generally don't fully work properly until I shut down and restart the Quest after getting the update.

I appreciate the suggestions, unfortunately I've tried rebooting my PC
and Quest multiple times, re-plugging the Quest in, running a repair install (which took me back to v12) etc. but
it's made no difference.
At this point unless the PTC gets updated to fix it, I guess I'll just have to wait until I get the v13 software on my PC and hope that actually works.
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 & Thunderbolt 3 Add-in card, i7 7700k, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti, 13TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro
Oculus Quest v13 Update, Official Oculus Link Headset Cable

Cain-
Protege
Link users on Quest v13 and PTC v14 should try turning the Link encode resolution down in ODT if they want to get up and running again, at least until there is a proper solution. 2784 is about the highest resolution that works for me now with that build combo. 

Try a headset and/or PC restart if it doesn't work immediately. 

(EDIT: after some further testing/refinement I've found that I can get right up to 2880 on my 1080, but not 2888 or above)

MrBMT
Expert Protege

Link users on Quest v13 and PTC v14 should try turning the Link encode resolution down in ODT if they want to get up and running again, at least until there is a proper solution. 2784 is about the highest resolution that works for me now with that build combo. 

If that's what was breaking it for me... I'll be very happy. Literally just completely uninstalled the Oculus software, nuked everything Oculus related from the AppData directories and it's re-installing now as what was going to be my last-ditch effort.
I know my Encode Resolution was previously set to 2912, so if there's some bug breaking that now... that'd explain things.
Whenever the Oculus Software finishes re-installing and I've re-opted in to the PTC, I'll test and report back.
Edit: Reducing the render resolution fixed Link for me. Thanks so much @Colonel_Izzi

These are the steps I took that fixed it for me:
  • Make sure you're using the v14 PTC Software for PC.
  • Unplug your Oculus Quest from your PC.
  • Open OculusDebugTool.exe (by default, in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics)
  • Under the Oculus Link section make sure that "Encode Resolution Width" is set to 2784 or less.
  • Reboot your PC.
  • Reboot your Oculus Quest.
  • Plug your Oculus Quest in to your PC.
  • When the Enable Link? Popup shows, click Enable and it should now actually work.

ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 & Thunderbolt 3 Add-in card, i7 7700k, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti, 13TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro
Oculus Quest v13 Update, Official Oculus Link Headset Cable

gregor616
Adventurer

Thank you for posting this. I had not made any changes in the Debug tool and my resolution was 2912 by default, so clearly they changed something that broke shit!
Oculus Quest 
AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard

loui100
Protege

gregor616 said:

Thank you for posting this. I had not made any changes in the Debug tool and my resolution was 2912 by default, so clearly they changed something that broke shit!

It worked for me personally, though I have to check if it upped the resolution too (that would explain why it feels like the framerate is worse). I really cannot fathom why a company as big as Facebook can't get this stuff right. It just boggles the mind

OneFatal
Protege

Sadly it didnt worked for me, even with everything set to default in the debug tool. It always close instantly when i try to launch link. Their update system is really bad and it dont ven work. Still waintg for v13 for the app.

themrgshow
Explorer
Same problem here but changing the Encode Resolution Width didn't fix it. Running 14 on the PTC and 13 on the headset. Getting a message in Oculus App on the PC to update the headset software. But no update is available. Have tried several restarts, etc.

Soulless512
Expert Protege
Why does it seem to me like you all are trying to brick everyone's rift and attempt to force people to get a quest? 

loui100
Protege
Btw I was testing v14 yesterday and I reached the conclusion that ASW is still completely unusable, even in The Walking Dead where I have sufficient headroom and almost constant 72 FPS (Oculus Link), I get unbearable stutter every few seconds. Turning off the ASW helps but I don't understand why we have to tinker with the settings to get to a playable state