cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Expects Coronavirus To Impact Oculus Quest Production

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Looks like IRL issues is taking over the virtual world!

Facebook stopped accepting new orders for Oculus Quest this week and expects an impact by the Coronavirus on production of the standalone headset.

Here’s the statement from a Facebook spokesperson:

“Oculus
Quest has been selling out in some regions due to high demand. That
said, like other companies we’re expecting some additional impact to our
hardware production due to the Coronavirus. We’re taking precautions to
ensure the safety of our employees, manufacturing partners and
customers, and are monitoring the situation closely. We are working to
restore availability as soon as possible.”

Full article:
https://uploadvr.com/facebook-coronavirus-quest

And with Pimax's news about moving their support back to China (all 5 of their support staff), this will likely impact Pimaxers as well!

😮

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
This could end up starting a major worldwide recession tbh, although Chinese trade hasn't been too good for a while since a certain person started a Trade War (and no, we don't need to go on a discussion about it, we don't want any mods having a nervous breakdown lol).

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

This could end up starting a major worldwide recession tbh, although Chinese trade hasn't been too good for a while since a certain person started a Trade War (and no, we don't need to go on a discussion about it, we don't want any mods having a nervous breakdown lol).

But then you just started a discussion about it... probably not a wise move.
😉
Pretty sure it is not related to the Virus in any way.

Anonymous
Not applicable
No it's not. Everyone knows that Brexit is to blame lol ??

Congratulations
Adventurer
This is bad news, not for the short term either, this will could stop VR coming popular.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

This is bad news, not for the short term either, this will could stop VR coming popular.

It's being called a pandemic. Theoretically, this could stop the human race from becoming popular. Definitely bad for VR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator
Consultant

snowdog said:

Let's not get political. Not everyone agrees with your view. Let's stick to the topic.

Yes, I think the seasoned members should know the score and lead by example, no politics please.

As to the virus, I think a vaccine will be developed within a few weeks but as always, getting it to all those that need it will take some time and the virus will linger on, I'd expect disruption to many industries possibly for the rest of the year.

Sympathies are with everyone affected.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I heard a vaccine won't be available for around 8 months and that it will be more likely 2021 before we see one. I hope it's weeks away, but I haven't seen anywhere that they expect one within weeks.