cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Films Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well bollocks, we've got a telly thread so I thought I'd create one for films too.

I'm currently working my way through Movies With A Twist Collection 3 which I downloaded years ago from TPB. All of those torrents are now dead which is a shame because I didn't get around to downloading Collection 4. I'm downloading all of those separately which is a hassle but will be worth it in the end going by 1-3 so far.

Am in the middle of watching Law Abiding Citizen, I think I've seen it before but i was so long ago I've forgotten what happens.

The problem with watching these films knowing that there's a twist makes it easy to work out what the twist in question is so probably better if you watch them without that knowledge lol

Here's a list of some of my all-time favourite films of all-time in no particular order:

Brazil
The Life Of Brian
The Holy Grail
The Meaning Of Life
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Lifeforce (a terrible film but the female lead vampire spends most of it naked lol)
All Lethal Weapons
All Die Hards
Every Dirty Harry Film
The Jungle Book (the Disney original)
Pi
Falling Down (just for the McDonalds scene lmfao)
Silent Running
Logan's Run
All 60s-70s Planet Of The Apes
Soylent Green

Am going to stop there otherwise this post is going to be HUGE lol

583 REPLIES 583

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Mailman brought this week:

kc2xdolpe4vt.jpg
gmrx77e4ogqz.jpg

- and for the wife and kids - son has learned about the Roman Empire in school, and this movie is still above 8 on IMDB:

erub7msthcy5.jpg

- and for the Wuhan perspective:

Image result for 12 monkeys blu-ray

- lastly this one is in the mail and should arrive Monday, I'm starting to feel slightly stressed, also need time for Saints and Sinners, lol
nuun4kmicvgy.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Luciferous
Consultant
So you are the one buying discs 🙂

I thought Once Upon a time in hollywood sucked.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

So you are the one buying discs 🙂

Seems so o:) 4K discs are the only way to get the best versions as fast as possibly on my TV, Netflix 4K is compressed and then I'd have to wait even longer to see the movies  B) And I like to have the possibility to watch movies when the zombies come and the internet goes down, lol (and Netflix has a way of removing and replacing movies after some time). 

Beware of the 12 Monkeys 2009 blu-ray release though - the transfer is quite bad, nearly looks more like a DVD version. Should have read this first - image quality rated only 3/5 for the blu-ray release...

Let me get this out of the way right up front: 12 Monkeys will never be as sharp, as dazzling, or as striking as other notable catalog releases... regardless of how extensive a restoration it receives. Not only did Gilliam shoot the majority of his scenes with diffusion filters (to submerge the image in an unsettling, dreamlike haze), he relied on clashing light and shadow, jarring shifts in perspective and focus, and intermittent bursts of clarity and softness to keep his audience continually questioning Cole's sanity and motivations. As a result, some viewers will write off Universal's faithful 1080p/VC-1 transfer as an underwhelming fluke; a mismanaged presentation that doesn't boast the high definition swagger required to stand alongside the best catalog releases on the market. 

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/12-Monkeys-Blu-ray/5595/

- there's a new 2018 version though, which seems to be better. Unfortunately I didn't get that one. Still fun to watch the movie with my 12 yo son. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Luciferous
Consultant
Great film 12 monkeys.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Don't you just love when you order the much cheaper standard edition and some nice idio* *cough!* some kind dude makes an error and ships the limited edition steelbook instead?   🙂

yxi3wce4tm9p.jpg

Note that Ad Astra is a true 4K release, the movie is not upscaled from 2K res. Atmos sound should be close to the best ever (5/5 - https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ad-Astra-4K-Blu-ray/252161/ )

Also just got this one - it's a massive 8.6 on IMDB, can't wait to see it including HDR and Atmos sound! After comparing what the Sony 85" (series 9 panel) can do when it comes to colors, sharpness, motion flow (calculating more than 24 fps) and black levels I'm close to done going to the theaters. 

t9pi4ofyyp7o.jpg

Yup - continuing the disc show, I can't be the only one in here supporting 4K discs producers?  B) 😄 
The TV reveals all flaws, I'm really done viewing downloaded movies in severely compressed formats (MKV, HEVC, mp4 whatever) - guess that's an important thing to consider when buying a large TV with extremely clear image quality. 

Note that Joker is a true 4K movie, you'll really need the 4K version for optimal image quality - and it may just be close to the best 4K image quality ever (I've enhanced some of the text with bold and italics):

Joker was shot entirely on digital with a variety of high-res Arri Alexa cameras, some as high as 5.1K (5120x2880), and finished at a true 4K digital intermediate. This means that Warner Bros.' 4K disc is a near-perfect representation of the film and, as such, boasts an extremely detailed and impressive 2160p transfer that gets the added boost of HDR color enhancement. While the separate Blu-ray edition is by no means a distant second, this disc clearly offers the tighter image in direct comparison and stands as one of the format's best-looking non-film releases to date. Though somewhat desaturated by design, Joker absolutely pops with color in all the right places: warm era-specific interior decorations (Murray Franklin's set is a particular standout), moody lighting, costume designs, and Arthur Fleck's clown makeup stand out strongly among the colder and more muted color choices that dominate most backgrounds. High Dynamic Range contributes to the transfer's most impressive color-related moments, from an early chase sequence to a deadly subway encounter and its immediate aftermath. Even if your current 4K television is not equipped to decode the full HDR10 signal, you will notice an obvious difference when compared to the Blu-ray's SDR image.

Of course, not all of Joker's visual strengths are color-related. Textures and fine detail are also extremely refined from start to finish, from those aforementioned costume designs to skin pores and caked-on clown makeup. While some of the perceived detail has been artificially produced via a fine grain filter over the digital image, it's a convincing formula that gives Joker an unusually film-like appearance. Modest to strong depth is achieved with various focal techniques, while black levels and shadow detail are both very stable with absolutely no flagrant signs of banding or compression artifacts. Warner Bros.' Blu-ray -- even with its surprisingly low bit rate -- received top marks in the video department, so it's no surprise that the 4K's much heftier 2160p transfer proportionally earns perfect scores by its own rating scale. This is simply a top-tier disc that likely rivals even the best theatrical experience just a few short months ago.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Joker-4K-Blu-ray/251615/

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Btw, Ad Astra was not as good as I hoped for. It's not bad either, and may be considered an attempt to provide a post-modern version of 2001, lol. Maybe it's a more realistic, lonely and dark version of 2001. It's a movie that helps me accept not being an astronaut 😉 Not sure Brad Pitt is my first choice for the main character in Ad Astra, but I never really liked Brad Pitt, he always fails to connect with me, but I did enjoy Fight Club...
Ad Astra has many great vistas and special effects, and plenty of spaceships, the movie is worth watching just for the tech show and the vision of the future. Can't decide if it's 6/10 or 7/10 - let's say 6.5/10. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Got myself a couple of Shaun Of The Dead hoodies delivered last week. Got shafted by Customs for 12 quid though:

oginfpf4goc7.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

t9pi4ofyyp7o.jpg

Fun thing, I did not watch the Oscar 2020 Academy Award show a few days ago - but after watching Joker last night I thought that Phoenix did the most impressive job - and then I checked and saw this, lol:

l33zt14kpsph.jpg

Never thought Phoenix could beat Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight, but Phoenix did the impossible - and there's no doubt - I think this short user review from IMDB is spot on - this movie is a 10/10 (even if there are no spaceships in it 😉

mp3m5lg7zpr6.jpg

The 4K version is reference when it comes to 4K image quality, maybe topped only by Mortal Engines. Blacks are really blacks due to HDR and the resolution is so high it feels like swinging a microscope over Phoenix face from time to time. I could even clearly see the dirt under his bitten fingernails - which was kinda gross. Also his dirty teeth, and every skin imperfection, all his hair etc. This movie was so disturbingly clear I was thinking that maybe the more blurry blu-ray version would be better, lol - but the clarity did add presence like (close to) never before. Felt like watching a stream of photographs. There's a small amount of film grain used, but you don't notice it in most scenes. 

Sound and music were awesome too, and the 4K disc contains Dolby Atmos sound as usual - in fact the music may be another reason for buying the 4K disc version - Joker got a second Oscar:

b6u52agv9b16.jpg

After watching the film I was thinking that now I had just watched my very first superhero (ok, supervillain then) movie. Frank Miller would be proud - I hope, because this is the first movie from DC where I felt the atmosphere and story matched or transcended the best books. Ledger might still have delivered the best comic book Joker performance, but Phoenix just went beyond the books and made the Joker come out the books and made him into a real person. Like for the first time turning Pinocchio into a real boy 😉

I do think there might be an age problem though, unless we're going to see Batman beating up the elderly in later movies, but maybe some clever writer can fix that, lol.  

Note that Joker isn't for kids including young teenagers, not really because of violence, but this is a movie for adults. It's not funny nor is it an action movie, mostly I think - like Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns books - this is a film about society - a political film about wealth inequality and the consequences. A movie cleverly disguising and reflecting our current world. To quote the movie Seven:

"Wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you'll notice you've got their strict attention."

- and the Joker hits you with a sledgehammer like never before. You could say it's also a movie about the nature of being evil. - In psychology the term does not really exist, because being evil can be reduced to many different components, so is the Joker really evil - or sick - or a product of society - or everything combined (=sum of traumatic incidents and triggers)? That - together with Phoenix' godlike performance - make this movie a 10/10.

https://youtu.be/qdVAMime0g8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I still think that Jack Nicholson was the best Joker. People wouldn't have been raving about Ledger if he was still alive imo. Michael Keaton has also been the best Batman by far too. Those first two Tim Burton Batman films were awesome, particularly the second one with Michelle Pfeffer in a rubber catsuit lol 😄

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

snowdog said:

I still think that Jack Nicholson was the best Joker. People wouldn't have been raving about Ledger if he was still alive imo. Michael Keaton has also been the best Batman by far too. Those first two Tim Burton Batman films were awesome, particularly the second one with Michelle Pfeffer in a rubber catsuit lol 😄

Point taken with Nicholson, but I still think Phoenix is in a league of his own. Simply because the Joker no longer felt like some weird comic book character, but real. Being "real" (at least to some degree) is taking a step away from the original books, but I like it - also this new origin of the Joker feels much more logical and coherent, there's no longer any need the take a bad in strange chemical substances (at least not literally ;-). Also confirming what we know from normal life - thus the Joker isn't born as a Joker, but life turns him into the character. Love the many triggers in the movie - the movie is like a journey through triggers, lol.