cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 1080 vs 2080 graphics card

gtx1080
Protege
Had the Rift  S for a while now and just getting around to seting it up for the first time.  To take advantage of the better lenses and resolution do you think its worth it to move up to a 2080 card ( I do like the ray tracing that the 2080 offers)  Will sell my mint GTX 1080 founders edition.
Can I sell it on this forum?
Thank you
25 REPLIES 25

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

I've read that a Geforce 3080Ti might only increase the performance of Ray Tracing and might not be such a big leap up from a Geforce 2080Ti. Guess we'll have to wait to find out if that's true or not.

I'd be happy for a 20-30 % leap over 2080 Ti, we'll see. 

20% faster than Rtx 2080 Ti would make the 3080 Ti twice as fast as a 1080.

Would also like 3080 Ti to use 200w or less. Intersting how the plain vanilla 3080 will perform.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Btw, this sounds nearly too good to be true:

NVIDIA Ampere GPU: 50% faster than Turing at HALF the power?!

NVIDIA Ampere GPU rumor states the next-gen 7nm GPU will be a MONSTER

"Taipei Times is reporting from a client note by Yuanta Securities Investment Consulting Co that NVIDIA's new Ampere GPU would have a 50% increase in graphics performance while "halving power consumption". NVIDIA has been king of efficiency for a while now and that is on the 16nm, 14nm, and 12nm nodes -- but it looks like it has struck lightning on 7nm if these rumors are true. We could well see the '50% faster performance' in the ray tracing (RT) side of things, and not a general 50% performance improvement."
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/69629/nvidia-ampere-gpu-50-faster-turing-half-power/index.html

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
67mv4fsht3ld.jpg

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
If that was really the case I could see it being well out of my price range - for a high-end one, in any case. I know people think they 'learned' from the 2000 pricing experience, but I see 2080Ti everywhere I go on the 'net, so they can't have sold that badly - and considering it's the flagship model.

They will also be wanting to recoup some of the millions they've lost due to the Coranavirus effect imho. (edit "They" meaning Chinese industry as whole, not nVidia on their own 🙂  )

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Rumor has it Ampere also will be cheaper than Turing, also slightly "confirmed" here:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/rtx-3080

Guess speed, price and power consumption are all reasons why I'm greatly anticipating the Ampere arrival. It may be the gpu to increase VR adoption a lot - also Nvidia may face competition from AMD and Sony's PS5 (and a new XBox?) making the Ampere launch a lot different from the Turing launch. Maybe...

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Rumor has it Ampere also will be cheaper than Turing, also slightly "confirmed" here:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/rtx-3080

Guess speed, price and power consumption are all reasons why I'm greatly anticipating the Ampere arrival. It may be the gpu to increase VR adoption a lot - also Nvidia may face competition from AMD and Sony's PS5 (and a new XBox?) making the Ampere launch a lot different from the Turing launch. Maybe...

Yeah, NVIDIA will have to get their prices right because people will just turn away from PC gaming if they continue pricing their cards too high. I'm still getting a PlayStation 5 though, because I think Sony's next VR headset will be great and they have a good VR game library I want to play through. I'll finally be able to play Resident Evil etc.