cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus link and a GTX 1050? How strict are the compatibility requirements exactly?

chrisbardon
Honored Guest
Trying to get Link working with my laptop (Dell XPS15 with a 1050), and while I saw that the GPU wasn't supported, I was wondering whether that was "not supported because performance will suck" or "not supported because it'll just completely fail".  Right now I can load the software, get the prompt in VR to start Link, and then it immediately boots back to the Quest home screen.  Cable is the same one I've used to run SideQuest, so it should be OK for data + power.  Is this just a case of "wait until later in the beta" to get this working, or have others managed to get a similar configuration to progress? 
76 REPLIES 76

20jlyons
Honored Guest

Mattfranc said:

Connecting my quest via Oculus Link is working fine with my laptop. I've got a GTX 1050 (4gb) Non-Ti.

Can you give more details? How did you get past the "Your systems graphics card is incompatible with the Rift system software?" 
I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 with a Nvidia GTX1050 non-Ti with 4GB.
TIA.

softtouchph
Explorer

Richooal said:

I have your exact laptop and a oculus link original cable, but my oculus pc application, gives an error in red on the top, complaining i have to reboot my pc or contacting oculus support.
I did this and we discovered in the logs of the oculus app on my pc, the issue was due just to my gtx 1050 Ti that is not in the list of supported gpu's.

its working for me now. i i held the power button for 2 seconds then pressed power off then loaded my oculus quest back up and oculus link started working

How exactly did you do it?

You said "I have your exact laptop". That guy has only made 2 posts and doesn't say if he's using a laptop or a desktop. He also only gives one spec - GTX 1050 Ti. Yours would be a mobile version and his might be a desk top version. They're very different.
Not even the GTX 1060 mobile version is supported, only the desktop version.

My 1060m works fine with my MSI Laptop, even its listed as not supported.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Richooal said:

Mattfranc said:

Connecting my quest via Oculus Link is working fine with my laptop. I've got a GTX 1050 (4gb) Non-Ti.

According to my research............
GTX 1050 has 2GB. If your's has 4GB, it is a "Ti".

EDIT: They also released a 3GB version 18 months after release of GTX 1050.

I was a little confused initially but after digging through the Nvidia forums, I came across a post which mentioned about a 4GB Ti vs the 4GB non-Ti. Head over here to read more on it - www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/247762/gtx-1050-4gb-non-ti-version/ (apologies as my account is still to new to post complete links) and it looks like its only available for laptops. 

Here's another write-up on the GTX1050 non-ti (laptop version) :
laptopmedia.com/video-card/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-4gb-gddr5/

Anonymous
Not applicable

20jlyons said:

Mattfranc said:

Can you give more details? How did you get past the "Your systems graphics card is incompatible with the Rift system software?" 
TIA.
I'm using a HP Pavillion Gaming Laptop 15 (i7-8750H @ 2.20 GH), 8 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, 1TB HDD.

I downloaded/ updated all the necessary drivers, adjusted my preferred graphics processor to use the High-performance NVIDIA processor, bought a high quality USB C to USB A 3.0 cable , plugged in my Quest and woah, it worked like a charm. I found that loading your VR games from the SSD works about 9/10 times as compared to loading it from your HDD.

Looks like there's a potential work around for the error message that's popping up , hope the link below helps 😃
forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/32464/disable-your-computer-doesnt-meet-rifts-recommended-specifications-message-in-oculus-home

20jlyons
Honored Guest

Mattfranc said:

20jlyons said:

Mattfranc said:

TIA.
I'm using a HP Pavillion Gaming Laptop 15 (i7-8750H @ 2.20 GH), 8 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, 1TB HDD.

I downloaded/ updated all the necessary drivers, adjusted my preferred graphics processor to use the High-performance NVIDIA processor, bought a high quality USB C to USB A 3.0 cable , plugged in my Quest and woah, it worked like a charm. I found that loading your VR games from the SSD works about 9/10 times as compared to loading it from your HDD.

Looks like there's a potential work around for the error message that's popping up , hope the link below helps 😃
forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/32464/disable-your-computer-doesnt-meet-rifts-recommended-specifications-message-in-oculus-home

Thanks for the reply, I ran the script from the link for fun but the i7 processor isn't the issue. Sorry to be so nit picky, but did you not get the error message for the nvidia? We both have the GTX1050/4GB and I get green on the USB cable and have even loaded the Rift version of Google Earth to the headset but I get a hard stop in Oculus Home with the error message and cannot get the Rift home to load on the headset.

If you're not getting the error, what might you guess is different between our setups?
Thanks again.

Edit: BTW, there's no obvious ID in the registry for the graphics processor so spoofing the registry doesn't look as easy for that. Also, I set everything related to the Oculus to use the Nvidia processor.

Anonymous
Not applicable
How has it been working for those with a GTX 1050 TI? I will buy a quest if it has been working for the GTX 1050 TI.

grove21
Protege
RTX 2060, i get a lot of stutters in multiple games.

ThePaladin
Protege

20jlyons said:

Mattfranc said:

20jlyons said:

Mattfranc said:

TIA.

Thanks for the reply, I ran the script from the link for fun but the i7 processor isn't the issue. Sorry to be so nit picky, but did you not get the error message for the nvidia? We both have the GTX1050/4GB and I get green on the USB cable and have even loaded the Rift version of Google Earth to the headset but I get a hard stop in Oculus Home with the error message and cannot get the Rift home to load on the headset.

If you're not getting the error, what might you guess is different between our setups?
Thanks again.

Edit: BTW, there's no obvious ID in the registry for the graphics processor so spoofing the registry doesn't look as easy for that. Also, I set everything related to the Oculus to use the Nvidia processor.

I'm in the same boat and wondering if there's any solution?  Im wondering what Mattfranc did that we're not, or what's wrong with Oculus Home's detection routine.  Everything on my laptop is a go, except for the graphics card incompatible message.  What's interesting (irritating?!) is that it is listed as supported by the Rift (https support dot oculus dot com/326247701060681/?locale=en_US albeit at the minimum spec)!!  Talk about frustrating...

enigma01
Trustee

ThePaladin said:
 What's interesting (irritating?!) is that it is listed as supported by the Rift (https support dot oculus dot com/326247701060681/?locale=en_US albeit at the minimum spec)!!  Talk about frustrating...

You need to look at the requirements for Link not Rift... https://support.oculus.com/717936525348321/

Oculus Link uses more CPU / GPU load than gaming with Rift I believe. 

ThePaladin
Protege

enigma01 said:

ThePaladin said:
 What's interesting (irritating?!) is that it is listed as supported by the Rift (https support dot oculus dot com/326247701060681/?locale=en_US albeit at the minimum spec)!!  Talk about frustrating...

You need to look at the requirements for Link not Rift... https support dot oculus dot com/717936525348321/

Oculus Link uses more CPU / GPU load than gaming with Rift I believe. 

Actually it shouldn't since it's a self-contained unit and the Rift requires a gaming PC to work.  Even if that were true though, if I were to take their minimum specs from that page, and I went out and bought a Rift headset, I would still get the same message since it's the exact same Oculus Home app that gets downloaded for the Rift, not to mention that it works for Mattfranc.  I really think they have an issue with properly detecting my graphics card and those of a lot of us with dual video card, gaming laptops.  I've put in a support ticket and referenced that page.  We'll see if anything comes of it...