cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronavirus Impact on VR Goods from China

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this with regards to products made in China. Things like the Valve Index and Pimax headsets are manufactured in this country not sure about Rift. Does the current lock-down mean delays in these and many other goods coming from the region especially after CNY. Not so much for fear of spreading the virus as that's virtually impossible but delays due to the restrictions on the workforce? Any ideas?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
27 REPLIES 27

OldSpyGuy1
Explorer
I am waiting for my Quest to be manufactured.  My current ship date is Feb 21.  I suspect that won't hold.  Does anyone know that the factory has reopened?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mine is supposed to ship on March 3rd. My biggest fear is what we do not know about the Coronavirus. It was just confirmed it is airborne, that means it can be caught without direct contact. They said the surface life of the virus is roughly 5 days on an object until the virus dies. Hopefully that is actually correct, so that products we get that are manufactured in China are no risk.

inovator
Consultant

Ahyote said:

Mine is supposed to ship on March 3rd. My biggest fear is what we do not know about the Coronavirus. It was just confirmed it is airborne, that means it can be caught without direct contact. They said the surface life of the virus is roughly 5 days on an object until the virus dies. Hopefully that is actually correct, so that products we get that are manufactured in China are no risk.

I dont think it's a worry. If it is we are all in trouble. Do you know how many items we buy from china? Yup zillions.

OldSpyGuy1
Explorer
I just got an order update saying my order was processed and my Quest is being prepared for shipping.  So, I am hoping for the best and also hoping it comes with Vader Immortal since I ordered it on December 28th.  (Oculus is showing my invoice date as February 2nd.)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
My Woojer update suggests Chinese Government extended the period of rest until Feb 19th now.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
maybe if they held the product in quarantine for a week it would kill whatever is in the box. so if your worried just keep it boxed up for a week then open it.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
WHO says that the virus life on surfaces is 5 days.  Any packages I get from China usually will have been in transit 5-10 days anyway so I'm not too worried.  However, I'll tell my wife (aka The Inspector General) not to open anything of mine for a while.  Win-win, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

OldSpyGuy1
Explorer
A UPS shipping label has been created for both my Quest and the case I ordered with it.  Crossing my fingers it will be on it's way soon.

ryandh23
Honored Guest
I got a notice today that my Quest is preparing to ship. Ordered January 17. 

OldSpyGuy1
Explorer
UPS says I should receive my Quest Feb 13th.  My original ship date was Feb 21st.