cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link Freezing Quest

Happyduckk
Explorer
So yesterday (11/22) I was using the Link for ours and I had no issues, but today any oculus link games are freezing inside the headset. The games are perfectly fine on my PC, but the headset will freeze and I'll need to power off/restart the headset in order for it to do anything again.
Anybody else having this problem? :Has anyone found a fix for this?
Thanks 🙂

P.S: . I have made sure that no cables are disconnected when the freezing occurs.
        . I have a high-end PC, so specs aren't the problem
        . This has occurred with all of my Link compatible games, not just one specific game.
        . I have the recommended Anker USB cable, so hopefully that isn't the issue
161 REPLIES 161

TheTonaZ
Expert Protege
If only i was still in time to get amazon refund.... Now its too late. And oculus do not refund. Maybe i sell it or exchange it with a rift s with someone. 

PWal83
Protege
I finally got pc software version 13.1 and the freezing happens more often now than ever, it completely unusable. I guess all I can do is wait for the next update and pray it works next time.

I'm really unhappy with my quest and I'm starting to feel that's not going to change and maybe I should just cut my losses and sell it.

cmaffia2019
Protege
No problems here with official Link cable or the Anker cable.

TheTonaZ
Expert Protege
Which is damn short

PWal83
Protege
I like to buy the official cable but as I'm not sure it would fix my problem i'm going to wait, I don't want to risk wasting my money 

squ1gly
Honored Guest
I'm on 13 using the Anker cable and it's been freezing all day. I've been trying to troubleshoot it but no success.

stQuietMan
Honored Guest
I was having this problem the last week.  I seemed to have gotten it working tonight (2/10/2020).  I was able to play long enough tonight without freezing to almost induce vomiting while trying out Boneworks. (Side note: I hope Half Life : Alyx doesn't give me motion sickness like Bone Works)

Here are things I did to get it to stop freezing:
  • First thing I did was turn V-Sync off in Nvidia Control Panel at a GPU level. 
  • Next thing I did was get the Recommended Anker 10 foot cable. (I was using a $40 party link cable before, Type c to type c)
  • I plugged the new Anker cable into a USB 3.0 port on my tower. (The Party Link cable I was using was plugged right into the USB-c port on my GPU before)
  • Also, today, the Oculus app on my PC updated from 12 to 13 and it forced me to update the headset to a newer version as well in order to use Link support.  
  • Disabled In Game Overlay in Geforce Experience

I know it's a lot of variables, but I hope this helps someone.  I will report back here if it was just a fluke and it starts freezing again.  (That is if I use link.  I was only using it for Boneworks to prepare for HL:A  at the moment and I'm not sure I can play that game without getting sick 😕 )

TheTonaZ
Expert Protege
In your case the only point is the anker cable and the port you used. The rest is not relevant

PWal83
Protege
I disabled v-sync, turned off Geforce Experience overlay, updated my USB drivers and none of it helped still freezing, running out of ideas to try now

stQuietMan
Honored Guest

TheTonaZ said:

In your case the only point is the anker cable and the port you used. The rest is not relevant

How are you so sure that V-Sync, In Game Overlay, and Software and Firmware versions would not impact the freezing?  Those seem like they could definitely be the culprit. Especially the V-Sync.  What happens when the monitor is running at 120 and the headset can only go up to 90?  Not to mention my monitor is G-Sync which could also play a role.

I've also seen the Nvidia InGame Overlay mess up so many other applications before.

I don't know how you could be so bold to say the rest is not relevant.