cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift Build 13.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
All of these features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of February 3, 2019.

Events
  • We’ve made improvements to the Oculus Event Invite feature.
    • Event hosts can now allow guests to invite their own friends.
    • Viewing a developer created event will now allow you to view a list of all your friends who have indicated that they are interested in the event.
    • Viewing a user created event will now allow you to view a list of all users who have indicated that they are interested in the event as well as all users who have been invited to the event, similar to Events pages on Facebook.
    • You can control whether or not you appear as part of the above invited or interested lists via the "Who can see your activity on Oculus" privacy setting.
Oculus Mirror
  • We’ve exposed the customization options to the Oculus Mirror tool as a Graphical User Interface.
    • These options will allow you to do things like adjust the mirror type, choose which eye(s) is displayed on the mirror, adjust the FOV scale of the mirror, and also take screenshots.
    • You can also save and load Oculus Mirror settings within the File menu, which will also save and restore the window position and size.
    • Hotkeys for these new options can be found next to each item within the Settings and File menus.
    • The tool will automatically reconnect to the Oculus Service in the event of a service restart.
    • The Oculus Mirror tool can be launched by navigating to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics and selecting OculusMirror.exe.
98 REPLIES 98

MrBMT
Expert Protege
Can we get an update on the rollout please?
It's now the week after you said we'd originally get it, and I still haven't received the v13 software update.
When are those of us that don't have it yet likely to receive it? Will we even get it this week?
Edit: Finally just got it.
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 & Thunderbolt 3 Add-in card, i7 7700k, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti, 13TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro
Oculus Quest v13 Update, Official Oculus Link Headset Cable

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Hey folks - confirming that v13 should now be available to 100% of PC users now. For real this time. 🙂

Thanks again for your patience while we worked through this!

Cain-
Protege

Hey folks - confirming that v13 should now be available to 100% of PC users now. For real this time. 🙂

Good stuff. Dropped for me too 🙂
Now if we could just get some acknowledgement of the Link Encode Resolution problem that seems to be affecting Nvidia users mostly (we need to drop down from 2912 to somewhere around 2784 otherwise there's audio but no image when Link is running), that would be great. This is an issue with both v13 and v14.
Really, it would just be nice to know that the right people at Oculus are aware of the problem.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

It would be nice to know what changes you have actually made compared to the previous final 12.0.0.306.268 (which I'm currently on).  If this auto-updates to v13 and screws up my X Plane 11 shutdown I'm not going to be a happy chappy, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
@Colonel_Izzi - Yep, We're aware of those encode resolution issue reports. Engineering is investigating!

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
@TomCgcmfc - The rule of thumb is that the changes listed in release notes are the things you should be on the lookout for in a given version. Re: your mention of X Plane 11, I may have said this to you previously, but I always recommend testing with apps that from the Oculus store. We don't always have great visibility into compatibility with specific apps run via Unknown Sources.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@TomCgcmfc - The rule of thumb is that the changes listed in release notes are the things you should be on the lookout for in a given version. Re: your mention of X Plane 11, I may have said this to you previously, but I always recommend testing with apps that from the Oculus store. We don't always have great visibility into compatibility with specific apps run via Unknown Sources.

Sorry but I would expect a bit more detailed release notes, esp. for non-Quest users.

As far as 3rd party apps go, this is the usual useless Oculus Support response.  The fact that X Plane 11 shutdown worked perfectly for a long time (since v1.36 to and including v12) and v13ptc broke this (without any changes to xp11 btw) then this seems to me to be an Oculus related issue, not a 3rd party one. I did send Oculus Support my previous 13ptc logfiles but I'm starting to doubt that anything happens with these.  Once my current v12 auto-updates I guess I'll find out for sure, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

TomCgcmfc said:

Sorry but I would expect a bit more detailed release notes, esp. for non-Quest users.

As far as 3rd party apps go, this is the usual useless Oculus Support response.  The fact that X Plane 11 shutdown worked perfectly for a long time (since v1.36 to and including v12) and v13ptc broke this (without any changes to xp11 btw) then this seems to me to be an Oculus related issue, not a 3rd party one. I did send Oculus Support my previous 13ptc logfiles but I'm starting to doubt that anything happens with these.  Once my current v12 auto-updates I guess I'll find out for sure, lol!

Welcome to my wold with Assetto Corsa Competizione. Logs seem to go nowhere, and I’m just being told to test with Oculus content. I haven’t run any Oculus content before so only way that test would be useful is if OCULUS LET US ROLL BACK TO PREVIOUS WORKING VERSIONS!!! That way you could at least back to back test it. Would also require sone Oculus content software based on the Unreal engine which I have no interest in paying for out of my own pocket to troubleshoot Oculus’s failures.

People are blaming Kunos for the bad performance when it’s Oculus, was running really well then an Oculus update destroyed it. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
OK, I got my dreaded v13.1 auto-update 1.5 hours ago.  Seems to have the same problems as I got when I tried v13ptc but at least I have found a couple of workarounds that are not too much of a pita.

1) The Oculus dash/desktop continues to show a lot of black artifacts on both sides of the Desktop panel when I shift my head right/left.  The workaround is to go to the dash/settings/graphics and enable the bottom option VR panel rendering.  This fixes this and looking at task manager it does not seem to have any effect on my cpu/gpu % usages.  BTW, the top option to enable AA still does not seem to make anything clearer for me.  However it does double my gpu % usage.  So for now I just disable it.

2) X Plane 11 once again has the good old pre v1.36 shutdown bug (hangs on exit) again and I need to use task manager to kill it.  The workaround for me is to startup xp11 from the Oculus dash/desktop, selecting its shortcut.  When I want to exit I just pause xp11, then press the Oculus button.  This brings up the usual reset view/exit app panel (with the dash/desktop panel in the background).  Minimise the Oculus reseat/exit app panel and use your mouse to select task manager (I have it pinned to my bottom task bar) and right click on xp11/end task.  This kills the program and lets me continue on without the need to remove my headset.  Not very elegant, but at least it seems to work ok.

Overall, the performance of all the Oculus Store and Steam games I've tried so far seems to be about the same as v12.1.  Still not quite as good as v1.38/1.39 imho, but not too bad.  At least for me with my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors v13.1 hasn't Bricked it, lol!

Edit; I do not have ACC but Assetto Corsa (original version) seems to work perfectly fine for me.

StreamofConscious
Expert Protege

Good stuff. Dropped for me too 🙂
Now if we could just get some acknowledgement of the Link Encode Resolution problem that seems to be affecting Nvidia users mostly (we need to drop down from 2912 to somewhere around 2784 otherwise there's audio but no image when Link is running), that would be great. This is an issue with both v13 and v14.
Really, it would just be nice to know that the right people at Oculus are aware of the problem.

<RANT>They are aware of the problems. The reality is that they have no clue what they are doing. They are attempting to mesh the rift, the rift s, and the quest all into one package....along with the facebook BS, and they have broke the internal workings again. The black screen problems happened originally on the Rift back in 2018 and now they have brought them to the Rift S. My guess is that nobody on the Oculus team fully understands how their Frankenstein software works now. Every iteration brings some new weird twist while not fixing anything. And all of this would be fine if they were allowed to revert back to a pre-December version when nobody was complaining. I mean, they can't even roll out software now without hosing it up. So in a vacuum where they don't even give release notes so that nobody call follow their inept attempts to fix anything....we all just get to spin around and around in the mess they have let happen.</RANT>