cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift Build 13.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
All of these features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of February 3, 2019.

Events
  • We’ve made improvements to the Oculus Event Invite feature.
    • Event hosts can now allow guests to invite their own friends.
    • Viewing a developer created event will now allow you to view a list of all your friends who have indicated that they are interested in the event.
    • Viewing a user created event will now allow you to view a list of all users who have indicated that they are interested in the event as well as all users who have been invited to the event, similar to Events pages on Facebook.
    • You can control whether or not you appear as part of the above invited or interested lists via the "Who can see your activity on Oculus" privacy setting.
Oculus Mirror
  • We’ve exposed the customization options to the Oculus Mirror tool as a Graphical User Interface.
    • These options will allow you to do things like adjust the mirror type, choose which eye(s) is displayed on the mirror, adjust the FOV scale of the mirror, and also take screenshots.
    • You can also save and load Oculus Mirror settings within the File menu, which will also save and restore the window position and size.
    • Hotkeys for these new options can be found next to each item within the Settings and File menus.
    • The tool will automatically reconnect to the Oculus Service in the event of a service restart.
    • The Oculus Mirror tool can be launched by navigating to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics and selecting OculusMirror.exe.
98 REPLIES 98

StreamofConscious
Expert Protege

TomCgcmfc said:

@TomCgcmfc - The rule of thumb is that the changes listed in release notes are the things you should be on the lookout for in a given version. Re: your mention of X Plane 11, I may have said this to you previously, but I always recommend testing with apps that from the Oculus store. We don't always have great visibility into compatibility with specific apps run via Unknown Sources.

Sorry but I would expect a bit more detailed release notes, esp. for non-Quest users.

As far as 3rd party apps go, this is the usual useless Oculus Support response.  The fact that X Plane 11 shutdown worked perfectly for a long time (since v1.36 to and including v12) and v13ptc broke this (without any changes to xp11 btw) then this seems to me to be an Oculus related issue, not a 3rd party one. I did send Oculus Support my previous 13ptc logfiles but I'm starting to doubt that anything happens with these.  Once my current v12 auto-updates I guess I'll find out for sure, lol!

Welcome to my wold with Assetto Corsa Competizione. Logs seem to go nowhere, and I’m just being told to test with Oculus content. I haven’t run any Oculus content before so only way that test would be useful is if OCULUS LET US ROLL BACK TO PREVIOUS WORKING VERSIONS!!! That way you could at least back to back test it. Would also require sone Oculus content software based on the Unreal engine which I have no interest in paying for out of my own pocket to troubleshoot Oculus’s failures.

People are blaming Kunos for the bad performance when it’s Oculus, was running really well then an Oculus update destroyed it. 

Affirmative. They are acting like there is no patient zero, no specific event that started all of this mess. The fact that they will not allow people to revert to a working version without hacking it is proof positive that the wheels have come off of their development. This has all been going on since Mid-December of last year! Sure, its obviously hardware specific for most, but if they cannot churn out software that is compatible all around then don't advertise requirements that people meet and then buy their product to be introduced to this circle jerk. Man up as a company and provide a reversion path and then those who still can't get it to work........send it back.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Just an idea but it might be useful to split new Oculus version threads into Rift cv1/S and Quest Link.  Maybe even move the Quest one to the Quest subgroup.  It seems to me that problems/solutions for each are not very relevant.  Anyway, just a suggestion.

It would probably even be better if they did not share the same Oculus desktop app imho.  I think that this may allow Oculus to hone in on each platform separately instead of trying to do all this within one app where changes on one seems to make a mess of the other.

Edit;  I could even envision the Quest Link app ending up similar to the good old Oculus v1.0.  This could potentially add extra performance to the Quest Link.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

StreamofConscious
Expert Protege

TomCgcmfc said:

Just an idea but it might be useful to split new Oculus version threads into Rift cv1/S and Quest Link.  Maybe even move the Quest one to the Quest subgroup.  It seems to me that problems/solutions for each are not very relevant.  Anyway, just a suggestion.

It would probably even be better if they did not share the same Oculus desktop app imho.  I think that this may allow Oculus to hone in on each platform separately instead of trying to do all this within one app where changes on one seems to make a mess of the other.

Edit;  I could even envision the Quest Link app ending up similar to the good old Oculus v1.0.  This could potentially add extra performance to the Quest Link.

Heresy!!! There must only be one!!! Splitting it out will displease the overlords and chaos will reign. Oh wait...I guess chaos is already reigning.....uh, do what he said.

morphee7
Expert Protege

TomCgcmfc said:

@TomCgcmfc - The rule of thumb is that the changes listed in release notes are the things you should be on the lookout for in a given version. Re: your mention of X Plane 11, I may have said this to you previously, but I always recommend testing with apps that from the Oculus store. We don't always have great visibility into compatibility with specific apps run via Unknown Sources.

Sorry but I would expect a bit more detailed release notes, esp. for non-Quest users.

As far as 3rd party apps go, this is the usual useless Oculus Support response.  The fact that X Plane 11 shutdown worked perfectly for a long time (since v1.36 to and including v12) and v13ptc broke this (without any changes to xp11 btw) then this seems to me to be an Oculus related issue, not a 3rd party one. I did send Oculus Support my previous 13ptc logfiles but I'm starting to doubt that anything happens with these.  Once my current v12 auto-updates I guess I'll find out for sure, lol!

Welcome to my wold with Assetto Corsa Competizione. Logs seem to go nowhere, and I’m just being told to test with Oculus content. I haven’t run any Oculus content before so only way that test would be useful is if OCULUS LET US ROLL BACK TO PREVIOUS WORKING VERSIONS!!! That way you could at least back to back test it. Would also require sone Oculus content software based on the Unreal engine which I have no interest in paying for out of my own pocket to troubleshoot Oculus’s failures.

People are blaming Kunos for the bad performance when it’s Oculus, was running really well then an Oculus update destroyed it. 

well after lots of testing last night after having to go back to the PTC to make my rift s work again with assetto corsa competizione i got to 18 cars in a server before the stuttering and jerking head tracking started, i know your probably going to say " drop your graphic settings" well you cant drop lower then low or disabled and when you run in swervers in a league championship with 30 - 45 cars in eatch race this is purely not good enough, now friends who run a original rift and valve index have no issues so i went into the debug tool and had a nosey as i tried to change the ASW options with the keyboard CTRL and 1234 with no effect and low and behold the wasnt changing anything.

so i change them in the tool and chose lock at 45fps and with ASW enabled and its flawless, infact i go into a server with 32 cars and no sign of stuttering or jerking head tracking, i even started uping my graphic settings again with no issues
now this confuses me because i have a Ryzen 7 2700x no oc and a 1080ti with 32gb ram in the rig now why this hardware cant run at 80fps on low settings is unbelievable, but im no codie or software wrighter so its the way it is

letmeinplease
Honored Guest

TomCgcmfc said:

OK, I got my dreaded v13.1 auto-update 1.5 hours ago.  Seems to have the same problems as I got when I tried v13ptc but at least I have found a couple of workarounds that are not too much of a pita.

1) The Oculus dash/desktop continues to show a lot of black artifacts on both sides of the Desktop panel when I shift my head right/left.  The workaround is to go to the dash/settings/graphics and enable the bottom option VR panel rendering.  This fixes this and looking at task manager it does not seem to have any effect on my cpu/gpu % usages.  BTW, the top option to enable AA still does not seem to make anything clearer for me.  However it does double my gpu % usage.  So for now I just disable it.

2) X Plane 11 once again has the good old pre v1.36 shutdown bug (hangs on exit) again and I need to use task manager to kill it.  The workaround for me is to startup xp11 from the Oculus dash/desktop, selecting its shortcut.  When I want to exit I just pause xp11, then press the Oculus button.  This brings up the usual reset view/exit app panel (with the dash/desktop panel in the background).  Minimise the Oculus reseat/exit app panel and use your mouse to select task manager (I have it pinned to my bottom task bar) and right click on xp11/end task.  This kills the program and lets me continue on without the need to remove my headset.  Not very elegant, but at least it seems to work ok.

Overall, the performance of all the Oculus Store and Steam games I've tried so far seems to be about the same as v12.1.  Still not quite as good as v1.38/1.39 imho, but not too bad.  At least for me with my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors v13.1 hasn't Bricked it, lol!

Edit; I do not have ACC but Assetto Corsa (original version) seems to work perfectly fine for me.

TomCgcmfc said:

OK, I got my dreaded v13.1 auto-update 1.5 hours ago.  Seems to have the same problems as I got when I tried v13ptc but at least I have found a couple of workarounds that are not too much of a pita.

1) The Oculus dash/desktop continues to show a lot of black artifacts on both sides of the Desktop panel when I shift my head right/left.  The workaround is to go to the dash/settings/graphics and enable the bottom option VR panel rendering.  This fixes this and looking at task manager it does not seem to have any effect on my cpu/gpu % usages.  BTW, the top option to enable AA still does not seem to make anything clearer for me.  However it does double my gpu % usage.  So for now I just disable it.

2) X Plane 11 once again has the good old pre v1.36 shutdown bug (hangs on exit) again and I need to use task manager to kill it.  The workaround for me is to startup xp11 from the Oculus dash/desktop, selecting its shortcut.  When I want to exit I just pause xp11, then press the Oculus button.  This brings up the usual reset view/exit app panel (with the dash/desktop panel in the background).  Minimise the Oculus reseat/exit app panel and use your mouse to select task manager (I have it pinned to my bottom task bar) and right click on xp11/end task.  This kills the program and lets me continue on without the need to remove my headset.  Not very elegant, but at least it seems to work ok.

Overall, the performance of all the Oculus Store and Steam games I've tried so far seems to be about the same as v12.1.  Still not quite as good as v1.38/1.39 imho, but not too bad.  At least for me with my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors v13.1 hasn't Bricked it, lol!

Edit; I do not have ACC but Assetto Corsa (original version) seems to work perfectly fine for me.

morphee7 said:

oculus im sorry but how can you release v13 for everyone over this week i believe the quote was when you have had reports from us PTC users provide feedback on the issues and before everyone has it you release a v14 PTC knowing there must be issues with v13

Thanks for the tip on the VR panel rendering, i was going nuts trying to find an answer to the problem.
I am new to the VR and it had run perfect until the recent update.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Not many v13 posts on Reddit (apart from a few Quest users having problems), guess v13 is fine for the majority. If not we'd also have seen more than 2 pages of this thread. 

Or maybe time to start patching some of my games - will buy me some time by postponing the v13 download on my very slow internet connection, better safe than sorry  o:) Also have a lot of faith in @TomCgcmfc, appreciate that I do not have to be a first mover, I do not have that kind of courage  😞  😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

gregor616
Adventurer

Hey everyone - thanks for the rapid feedback. I passed this info along to the team. They quickly investigated and found that there was indeed a previously unnoticed issue with the Rift rollout which prevented it from being available to the community. Really sorry for the miscommunication there and any inconvenience this caused! We’re working to remedy the situation as quickly as possible. We have confirmed that Rift S / Rift v13 has now been released to 30% of users. Our engineering team will review performance data, and assuming everything looks okay there, we will be making the update available to all users as soon as possible. The v13 Quest rollout is unaffected by the issue we discovered and that update has been made available to all users at this time. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Are there plans to ever drop this horrible distribution practice and give users the ability to update when they choose to? Your software updates are like going to the DMV. Only at the DMV we know where our place in line is and what number is currently being serviced. With Oculus we just have to wait and see. This is a great way to loose the confidence and support of your users and eventually lose them as customers. 

I have started buying my "link' games through Steam to future proof myself for when I decide to move to another brand. I really love my quest and had it before Link. I get that Link is still beta, but this has nothing to do with link. This is an internal software distribution policy that has always rubbed the community wrong, and as that community grows the rash this rubbing is causing is only going to worsen. You should be looking to fix that before you start losing customers because of it. 
Oculus Quest 
AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am going to go out on a limb here basing this on nothing but history - No.

OneDankSmell
Honored Guest
Can I get a free rift or rift s or anything really I dont care if I could afford one I would 

GamingTC2
Protege
Guardian setup keeps resetting with this version?  Am I the only one?  Every time I shutdown my pc and resart it, the guardian setup is gone.  And I have to do it all over again.  Really anoying.