cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Expects Coronavirus To Impact Oculus Quest Production

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Looks like IRL issues is taking over the virtual world!

Facebook stopped accepting new orders for Oculus Quest this week and expects an impact by the Coronavirus on production of the standalone headset.

Here’s the statement from a Facebook spokesperson:

“Oculus
Quest has been selling out in some regions due to high demand. That
said, like other companies we’re expecting some additional impact to our
hardware production due to the Coronavirus. We’re taking precautions to
ensure the safety of our employees, manufacturing partners and
customers, and are monitoring the situation closely. We are working to
restore availability as soon as possible.”

Full article:
https://uploadvr.com/facebook-coronavirus-quest

And with Pimax's news about moving their support back to China (all 5 of their support staff), this will likely impact Pimaxers as well!

😮

16 REPLIES 16

RedRizla said:

I heard a vaccine won't be available for around 8 months and that it will be more likely 2021 before we see one. I hope it's weeks away, but I haven't seen anywhere that they expect one within weeks.

Moderna and Inovio are using DNA sequencing and said they'd have a vaccine ready for testing on animals in 1 month and that was a week ago when they were given the full DNA sequence of the virus. Probably 2 more months after that for clinical trials.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Yeah, if something is going to get injected in to my body, I prefer it go through a lengthy QA and QC period!

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

Anonymous
Not applicable
I read that scientists in the UK were close to developing a vaccine last week. Hope it gets done sheepish because if I end up catching it I'm dead  😮

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are way farther away from a vaccine than a few weeks. Maybe years.

Not to fear monger, but not even the Japanese can afford to test everyone on a cruise ship for the virus, let alone test everyone who has the sniffles, and give specific people vaccines as the symptoms can take as observed up to 24 days, as by that time more people will be infected. Once this goes worldwide pandemic it will easily overrun the West's medical facilities, the U.S alone only has 100,000+ intensive care units. The world is simply not set up or ready to deal with this, and if this hits overcrowded areas like cities in India, or Tokyo, its practically unstoppable. A vaccine could take a long time to create, and by that time we risk the Virus mutating into either something deadlier, or it will kill itself out.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just realise my auto correct on my post above. Bloody thing, should have typed 'sharpish' instead of 'sheepish' lol  😄

Well I'm pretty sure they said that here in the UK we were a few weeks away from getting a vaccine sorted out, but then you have to test the thing properly so we're probably talking about 6 months or so I reckon before it comes out to everyone.

I don't think that we'll be looking at this thing causing the end of civilisation as we know it though, if this had happened 20-30 years ago then we could have been looking at it being a SERIOUS problem but genetic research has made some pretty big leaps since then.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:

I heard a vaccine won't be available for around 8 months and that it will be more likely 2021 before we see one. I hope it's weeks away, but I haven't seen anywhere that they expect one within weeks.

Moderna and Inovio are using DNA sequencing and said they'd have a vaccine ready for testing on animals in 1 month and that was a week ago when they were given the full DNA sequence of the virus. Probably 2 more months after that for clinical trials.

How long to produce 300,000 doses of the vaccine? My guess is it would take around another 5 to 6 months to produce that amount. Unfortunately, there are already nearly 100,000 cases of the Virus already, so at that rate they won't be able to produce the vaccine quick enough. I hope I'm wrong and they are able to produce it a lot quicker or are able to contain the virus.
I do find it strange when I see a coach driver ferrying people suspected of having the virus and not wearing a mask though. There's a coach load of people wearing masks and a few guys in white protective suits with masks. But then there's the coach driver who looks like he's ferrying passengers on a day trip to the beach.