cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Garbage software for a whole year.

Malugor
Honored Guest
Honestly the Rift S has been out for an entire year and this issue is still not fixed where the headset and controllers lose tracking for literally no reason. Honestly, fix this crap.
8 REPLIES 8

Ray_Sover
Expert Protege
You're wording it as though it's a global problem affecting everyone. It isn't.

Assuming you want help, someone will probably try to help you if you provide specific details of your hardware.
Intel i7-6700K OCed to 4.7GHz (all cores) @ 1.37V with Corsair Hydro H60 Rev.2 liquid cooling | Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 OCed to 1.7GHz boost clock @ 1.05V | 16GB (2x 8GB) HyperX Predator DDR4-3333 CL16 RAM | Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3 motherboard | Win10 Pro 64-bit on 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD on PCIe3.0 x4 | Corsair RM750x PSU | Oculus Rift S

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Rift S headset won't be out for an entire year until the latter part of May.
That is when I got mine, and have been using it daily ever since. Tracking was a little iffy the first few weeks but they got it solidified nicely shortly after. Suggest you check things like your room lighting maybe.

Revvin
Honored Guest
Got mine last June, and the brand new USB 3.0 card I bought turned out to be a problem.

With the first card I used, it would constantly lose tracking, and i'd get choppy framerate - and often completely lose tracking altogether. This made the system completely unusable. I swapped it out for another new one with a recommended chipset and its all worked perfectly ever since. Something to do with the bandwidth apparently and efficiency of the chipset.

I can honestly say, with probably around 150 hours usage, my Rift S is outstanding. My biggest want for an upgrade is a wider FOV, but other than that this thing is AWESOME!

Honestly, this crap is fixed!

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

Revvin said:

Got mine last June, and the brand new USB 3.0 card I bought turned out to be a problem.

With the first card I used, it would constantly lose tracking, and i'd get choppy framerate - and often completely lose tracking altogether. This made the system completely unusable. I swapped it out for another new one with a recommended chipset and its all worked perfectly ever since. Something to do with the bandwidth apparently and efficiency of the chipset.

I can honestly say, with probably around 150 hours usage, my Rift S is outstanding. My biggest want for an upgrade is a wider FOV, but other than that this thing is AWESOME!

Honestly, this crap is fixed!

I like mine too, I think the Rift S and the Quest are good products.  The only bummer with the Rift S is that I step on the wire, That really pisses me off.  The problem with the Quest is that it is heavy and hurts my very delicate face......  
I wish they could make a lighter quest, as light as the Rift S, with the halo band, that gave a really good wireless PCVR experience.   I would buy one of them !

Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad its working for you Revvin but something isn't fixed if there are still problems for a large number of people. Read around on these forums and on reddit and something definitely happened to the driver release in December that BROKE Quests/Rifts that were previously working fine. Its not our hardware because we can fix it by hacking an install of the last working driver. Its their software that they screwed up. They know it but they don't know how to fix it. Despite what Oculus seems to claim this is not a small number of effected people. Even those that seem to have their problems alleviated in a new driver release come back later stating that the problem comes back in a later release. Its been two steps forward three steps back since December.

No this crap is not fixed!

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

Glad its working for you Revvin but something isn't fixed if there are still problems for a large number of people. Read around on these forums and on reddit and something definitely happened to the driver release in December that BROKE Quests/Rifts that were previously working fine. Its not our hardware because we can fix it by hacking an install of the last working driver. Its their software that they screwed up. They know it but they don't know how to fix it. Despite what Oculus seems to claim this is not a small number of effected people. Even those that seem to have their problems alleviated in a new driver release come back later stating that the problem comes back in a later release. Its been two steps forward three steps back since December.

No this crap is not fixed!

Well its never been broken for me.  I notice you don't post your system specs.  I don't doubt you have problems, but by your very own logic, as many of us don't have problems therefore it must be your hardware or something your doing wrong 🙂
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Umpa_PC feel free to read the forums some more. Oculus devs have acknowledged that they are aware a problem was introduced in a driver update

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero LGA 1151 ATX 
Intel Core i7-8700K 4.7Ghz
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM X 2 (32GB)
1TB SSD
4TB SSD
Windows 10 Home Edition

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Yes - but understand what I have said.