cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play areas for squares?

Mystic_Monkey
Honored Guest
Is there a way to draw perfectly straight lines or set up a perfectly square boundary for play areas?

I know the boundary is for safety than appeal and I know other peoples play areas may vary in shapes for their comforts so this question may seem irrelevent for most, but if you insist I play inside a virtual box I'd rather it be perfectly angled than have any curves along it's walls.

Is there a line-tool or a way to connect the ✛ up on the floor? Or is there an option or menu to specify a play area by measurement?

9 REPLIES 9

MikeF
Trustee
no but if you have walls surrounding your play area you can just run your hand along them while holding the trigger and you'l be set

Mystic_Monkey
Honored Guest
I have boxes and furniture which I usually push asside so it's usually safe for my arms to pass through the boundary, I'm only conscious of my feet which sometime bump into the boxes. My play area is roughly a bit over a meter squared. Not much but I'm not a physically active VR player so I don't need a big play area.

Still it would be nice if I could draw a perfect square than a slightly wonky one.

Netheri
Rising Star
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6iezwq/guardian_boundary_editor_customizestraighten_your/ this piece of sorftware needs to be ran in admin mode. Also, i don't know does it work with S and Quest but works with CV1 for sure.
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

Mystic_Monkey
Honored Guest
Thank you.
I might be doing something wrong. I "run as administor" the GuardianBoundaryEditor and allow the app to make changes to my device but it still has the "Error trying to load Oculus Settings".

Do I need to put the folder contents somewhere specific or just that it doesn't like the S?

Netheri
Rising Star
@Mystic_Monkey
I would be almost certain that ti doesn't like the S then. 😕

EDIT: Although there was this one post that you must stop the Oculus service before editing the boundary on S. Dunno about that, i havent had to kill the service, only the desktop app has to be closed when i have used this on CV1.

i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

Mystic_Monkey
Honored Guest
That's kinda weird. Problem is though whenever I run the GuardianBoundaryEditor it automatically runs the Oculus app. And if I shut down the Oculus app with the Boundary Editor running it shuts down the editor. I must have both running or none at all.

Netheri
Rising Star
@Mystic_Monkey i asked this from the dev directly and he said that Oculus has totally changed the data somehow so that the editor either works or doesn't. I have luck that at least on my CV1 it still works. Dunno for how long though.

Mystic_Monkey
Honored Guest
Will the Guardian Boundary Editor will have an update eventually to allow Oculus Rift S users to set their boundaries?

Mystic_Monkey
Honored Guest
I found a "near-perfect" sollution for my problem without the use of an editor... though an editor would still be prefered.
Firstly I dunno how to align the floor-grid (those ✛ patterns) to the alignment of my walls so while I have achieved straight walls it is still crooked. It's like my headset knows which direction my PC is and the layout of my room in the Oculus grid-space but it's a random direction for the ✛ when I set boundary.
Y'see you're allowed to draw your play area with both oculus touch controllers but it only has the one drawing function.
To draw a perfectly straight line in boundary set up what you do it aim one oculus touch pointer to where you want the line to begin and aim the other oculus touch pointer to where you want the line to end. Then by pressing both triggers simultainiously this tells the drawing function to draw between two seperate pointers making a perfect line between them, thus it requires steady hands and precision aim to where you want to draw.

It's kinda irritating that while my play area boundary is nearly perfectly square, looking down it is still crooked to the gridded floor in Oculus white-space.
But when/if GuardianBoundaryEditor is updated for Oculus Rift S I'll be quick to use that instead, but until then this method is the only method I have to make a tidy box for a play area.