cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contemplating on buying a Vive DAS for my Quest. Is it worth it?

BigAssTaco
Explorer
Like the title says, I'm thinking about getting a DAS for my quest to add more comfort. I'm just not sure if it's worth the $140+ CAD price tag, plus another $40 due to the fact that I'm also planning on buying a 3d printed DAS adapter which is $20 plus another $20 for shipping. For the people who already have a Frankenquest, what are your thoughts on it? Is it worth it?

P.S. And no, I'm not going the velcro route. While it's way cheaper, I want feel good knowing that my DAS won't have a chance of falling off, even if it's a small one
12 REPLIES 12

ohgrant
Superstar
 Well worth it IMO. and so is the 3D printed adapter kit, I got my adapter kit from ninjaprint3d.etsy.com
You have to press really hard to get the round part o seat, you'll hear a satisfying snap when it's seated..
v0fs4h95hmp3.jpg
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

BigAssTaco
Explorer
@ohgrant Can you go into more detail about the comfort? Does it alleviate any pressure on the face? What about the audio quality of the integrated headphones? Sorry for asking a lot of questions.

ohgrant
Superstar
  I've been angling  it slightly from the pivot point, so that the face material barely touches my face. I've also ordered a replacement face gasket that has more comfortable material. 
 I really didn't notice how uncomfortable the stock Quest was until the link cable came out and I started to use it in longer sessions. Very comfortable now. That Vive wireless battery I have in the back in the picture, I only use that for un tethered games. 
 The audio quality is really nice too, very loud, in fact I have to turn the Quest audio down a bit or it will drive the headsets into saturation. 
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

KarstenS80
Adventurer

ohgrant said:

The audio quality is really nice too, very loud, in fact I have to turn the Quest audio down a bit or it will drive the headsets into saturation. 

Compared to the usage with the Vive, the noise level is very low with the Quest.

When I raise the volume to the point where the warning appears, it is still less loud than with the Vive at a volume setting of around 20/100.

BigAssTaco
Explorer
I've decided to pull the trigger and buy the DAS. Hopefully I won't regret my purchase. Worse comes to worse, I can just put up for sale on eBay and get my money back.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I was looking into this - bought the VR Cover interface and pad instead for a lot less and certainly don't regret it. Comfier and relieves the standard faceplate strain. Was amazed how much it rebalanced things.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

enigma01
Trustee

JD-UK said:

I was looking into this - bought the VR Cover interface and pad instead for a lot less and certainly don't regret it. Comfier and relieves the standard faceplate strain. Was amazed how much it rebalanced things.

I also have the VR Cover headstrap pad too and love it, it definitely makes a real difference.   

I bought the Quest for its portability, it doesn’t look as compact and portable once you do the DAS mod and I couldn’t justify the cost of it.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
I thought about getting it, but I already bought the Oculus case and it is super compact. Instead, what I did was 3d print a head relief piece that sits on your forehead, and got the official Oculus ear buds. All that fits nicely in the case and pulls the weight off my forehead and cheeks. I'll upload a picture when I get home.

gwkp0xwob19f.jpg

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Will you post the .stl files ?

Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.