New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

v14 PTC PC Software Release Notes

Comments

• guenter.huber22guenter.huber22 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Hey @barabba9174 , don´t reinstall another time. The following should help. Quote from myself above:
    If you are on Quest V13.0.0.298... and PC V14 PTC and get thrown out of Link mode immediately: www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/f0ni0m/oculus_link_fix_for_those_of_you_who_has_kicked/

If it´s not the above, it might be this one: www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/eziev6/oculus_link_fix_for_v14_ptc_v13_quest/
  • barabba9174barabba9174 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hey @barabba9174 , don´t reinstall another time. The following should help. Quote from myself above:
    If you are on Quest V13.0.0.298... and PC V14 PTC and get thrown out of Link mode immediately: www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/f0ni0m/oculus_link_fix_for_those_of_you_who_has_kicked/

If it´s not the above, it might be this one: www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/eziev6/oculus_link_fix_for_v14_ptc_v13_quest/
    Now I’m using the v13 and I’m ignoring the update message (it installs the v12...). Before moving on pct I wait a most stable version (also because my pc is connected to the living room TV, and my husband wants to watch the 6th Nations championship... so I cannot play with Link!) 
  • guenter.huber22guenter.huber22 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    edited February 9
    barabba9174 said: Now I’m using the v13 and I’m ignoring the update message (it installs the v12...). Before moving on pct I wait a most stable version... 

Well, I wanted v13 on the PC as well, but -- as you say -- it doesn´t seem to be available so far and I wanted to keep using Link, so I took the plunge and enabled the PTC.

I had enabled the PTC with v12 as well, only to find out minutes later that it wasn´t compatible with Quest v12, so I quickly switched PTC off again, praying it wouldn´t kill my PC app.

It went back to the released v12 version without a hitch (going back seems to have worked for you as well), so I think if you are eager you could jump on v14 PTC and go back when v13 is available on the PC.
    I´d guess it can´t be long that v13 turns up on the PC.
    Cheers
    G.
  • SergeMeister1234SergeMeister1234 Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    edited February 10
    Performance is still terrible with V14 in Assetto Corsa Competizione (Unreal Engine). On top of that when the sun sets and my room is lit with the room
    light tracking struggles, stutters a lot. Was never an issue before this mess started. 

Why has it been broken for so long? Is it impossible to fix? WHY CANT I ROLL BACK TO THE LAST WORKING VERSION!? 

Opting out of PTC takes me back to where the disaster began, V12. 
    | AMD Ryzen 3800X CPU | Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti 11G  | RAM: 16GB | PSU: 850W | W10 x64 | Simucube2 Ultimate Wheel Base | Precision Sim Engineering GT3 Wheel | HRS Xero-Play Quick Release | Fanatec CSS Shifter V1.5 | Heusinkveld Ultimate Pedals | Rift S | Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro Headphones | Sim-Lab P1 Racing Cockpit | Sparco Evo Seat
  • morphee7morphee7 Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    Performance is still terrible with V14 in Assetto Corsa Competizione (Unreal Engine). On top of that when the sun sets and my room is lit with the room
    light tracking struggles, stutters a lot. Was never an issue before this mess started. 

Why has it been broken for so long? Is it impossible to fix? WHY CANT I ROLL BACK TO THE LAST WORKING VERSION!? 

Opting out of PTC takes me back to where the disaster began, V12. 
    funny you say that my acc seemed to be running ok a couple of days ago then yesterday the stuttering was back and the head tracking was jumping really bad but this also happens slightly on the oculus home.

afterwards i thought id check the debug tool and saw in there the ASW was on auto again so ive disabled that again and i will test later

Art3mis
    well comgratulations oculus ive just rolled back to version 13.0.0.280.463 (13.0.0.280.463) by dropping out the PTC i put on my rift s home screen head tracking is stuttery, i fire up assetto corsa competizione and i get the grid with the 3 loading dots, ive unpluged the rift s rebooted pc and cold started it how can something work and then not thats ment to be the same version as before, your update system is absolutly screwed how can you run a professional company like this?
  • StreamofConsciousStreamofConscious Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    So, glutton for punishment that I am, I updated Oculus and everything back to cutting edge versions to get this new patch drop. Of course I was first greeted with the ominous 3 dot black matrix and then the black screen. So, I began what everybody that owns a Rift S does....I started pulling cables, putting cables back in, restarting services,  rebooting the PC, etc. I did all of this with the Rift S plugged in.....I did all of this with the Rift S unplugged..........and guess what! It worked. Of course at that point I looked down at my virtual watch and saw that I should have been in bed 30 minutes ago because I have to work in the AM. So, I guess I will never know how long it might have worked before I had to begin the Rift S hustle again. It's painfully obvious that since that first update back in Mid-December of last year you have to find that mystical utopia where all the drivers sync up just right, in the right order, at the right time, with the right purpose........and it works. You just have to hope it happens before you run out of actual time to play. I was unlucky this night....but who knows what the next attempt will bring.....maybe it will only use up half my time and I will get to play some wonderful VR game. OR....maybe Oculus will finally throw in the towel, stop wasting peoples lives, and just allow everybody to go back to that time when things.........just worked.
  • TurinTurambarTurinTurambar Posts: 11
    Brain Burst
    I just has an update of the PTC, now it's Oculus App Version 14.0.0.83.710 (14.0.0.83.710)
    Of course no idea of what it implies. Any idea?
  • ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 271 Oculus Staff
    I just has an update of the PTC, now it's Oculus App Version 14.0.0.83.710 (14.0.0.83.710)
    Of course no idea of what it implies. Any idea?
    For PTC, we provide release notes when we first release a new major version. Smaller PTC updates (i.e. not a major version number like v13 vs v14, etc.) are typically focused on stability improvements and bug fixes. If there's something major you should be on the lookout for, we try to call that out with an update to the release notes. Otherwise, you really shouldn't see too much difference between these "same major version number" PTC builds.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,519 Valuable Player
    Hoping one of these updates soon restores my Quest Link to working with my PC again.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,607 Valuable Player
    edited February 11
    For PTC, we provide release notes when we first release a new major version. Smaller PTC updates (i.e. not a major version number like v13 vs v14, etc.) are typically focused on stability improvements and bug fixes. If there's something major you should be on the lookout for, we try to call that out with an update to the release notes. Otherwise, you really shouldn't see too much difference between these "same major version number" PTC builds.

And yet, strangely enough, there actually is a "What's New" with this minor update. It wasn't there on the initial release of PTC 14, 7 days ago or on the first update 5 days ago.
    Somebody, somewhere, is listening. Could that person get a pay rise please.

Pro tip:
    You should be on the lookout for a new button.  ;)
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    edited February 11
    This is ridiculous!

The PTC version 14 finally fixed the stuttering/frame drops. I was able to use my Rift S again for the first time in 2 months.  Not one week later the PTC is updated again and I do not have the option to skip the update.... and now its broken AGAIN. All the problems are back. If I opt out of the PTC I go back to version 13 which is equally broken. So now my headset is useless again and I have no idea what you guys even did to break it again because the notes simply say "various bugfixes and stability improvements." Or maybe its the Oculus Link update that broke it, which doesn't even apply to my S. This is exactly what happens when you keep throwing more new code into a build that was flawed 10 updates ago.

This has been the most frustrating piece of hardware I have ever owned in my life and I am convinced that the current build has gone beyond the point of ever salvaging. Oculus you destroyed what was once a good thing.

Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • MrBMTMrBMT Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 12
    Not one week later the PTC is updated again and I do not have the option to skip the update....
    When you have a build that works well for you, you can just turn off automatic updates within the Oculus Software under Settngs -> General -> Automatic App Updates can't you?
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 & Thunderbolt 3 Add-in card, i7 7700k, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti, 13TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro
    Oculus Quest v13 Update, Official Oculus Link Headset Cable
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,607 Valuable Player
    MrBMT said:
    Not one week later the PTC is updated again and I do not have the option to skip the update....
    When you have a build that works well for you, you can just turn off automatic updates within the Oculus Software under Settngs -> General -> Automatic App Updates can't you?

No, you can not.

That only stops Apps/Games from updating. Oculus updates are forced through, unfortunately.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• MrBMTMrBMT Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 12
    Richooal said:
    MrBMT said:

No, you can not.

That only stops Apps/Games from updating. Oculus updates are forced through, unfortunately.
    Just when I thought Oculus' update practices couldn't get any more stupid, it turns out they already were and I simply wasn't aware. Oh dear.
    If they really want rolling updates for the majority of users, fine. But at least give us the ability to opt-out. Let us bypass rollout delays to get the latest version straight away and also not update at all if we wish to.
    Thanks for the info.
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 & Thunderbolt 3 Add-in card, i7 7700k, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti, 13TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro
    Oculus Quest v13 Update, Official Oculus Link Headset Cable
    Richooal said:
    Somebody, somewhere, is listening.
    Whoever could that be? :smile: The v13 release notes showing under 'What's New' for the previous v14 PTC release was a bug that has been escalated. The correct v14 release notes that you're seeing under 'What's New' are the same ones that were shared as the OP for this thread. There were no additions / major edits from the new PTC update that went up yesterday.

@adam.poole.313 It is surprising to hear that you're having severe issues again, as nothing major changed to my knowledge, as mentioned above. I'd recommend continuing to troubleshoot via your support ticket. We did ship a couple v13 updates to help with performance issues / frame drops that were being mentioned here on the forums, but from what I've been seeing, it appears most of those have been resolved at this time. If you haven't done so already, you may want to explore a completely clean installation of the Oculus software, if not a fresh Windows reinstall, in an effort to get back to a known good configuration.

As always, if others are experiencing issues with this latest software release (or any software version) please be sure to utilize the Help Center > Provide Feedback option in the desktop software to file a bug report.

I finally figured out why my Quest Link was not working with Oculus.
    I had my Virtual Headset Mic disabled in Windows, due to the mic on my Rift S being so iffy. I use a desktop USB Mic.
    I enabled the Virtual Headset Mic in Windows and now I can connect to Oculus Link with my Quest once again.
    Crazy.
    I left my desktop USB mic as default so hopefully this won't cause any issues.
    This is with PTC Version 14.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 154
    Art3mis

@adam.poole.313 It is surprising to hear that you're having severe issues again, as nothing major changed to my knowledge, as mentioned above. I'd recommend continuing to troubleshoot via your support ticket. We did ship a couple v13 updates to help with performance issues / frame drops that were being mentioned here on the forums, but from what I've been seeing, it appears most of those have been resolved at this time. If you haven't done so already, you may want to explore a completely clean installation of the Oculus software, if not a fresh Windows reinstall, in an effort to get back to a known good configuration.
    Believe me I have done that. Fresh installs of Oculus and Windows. There is zero chance support is going to help. I'm sorry but both people I have dealt with have made it clear that they do not believe there is a problem and just want to close my ticket. I keep requesting it be reopened and keep submitting new logs. To be clear, I can manually install the last pre-12 driver and block updates through my firewall and everything is fine again. You just can't do much with it with the firewall blocking the apps too. Sorry for the attitude, because I know its not your fault or responsibility, but at this point my frustration outweighs my hope for a working unit. I canceled my Quest order and put my Rift S on a shelf. If I get back into VR it will be with a Vive.
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • iZombie91iZombie91 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    iZombie91 said:
    This update seems to have mostly fixed my restart required boot loop. The headset is now connecting to both of my computers with minimal effort, maybe have to restart once but this is nothing major and I often had to do this before I got the bug. Only inconsistency is that the software seems to be forgetting my play space and I have to redraw it each time I restart the computer but this is minor and nothing really worth complaining about. Just happy to finally have it back online!
    Worked until last night and boom back in a restart loop today. Clicked on Notifications and can see an update happened last night therefore I feel pretty comfortable saying it is whatever was updated last night which has bricked it again. Do you guys even test these things before throwing them out for customers to use? 
  • iZombie91iZombie91 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Would love to continue my support ticket but they haven't replied to me in 14 days after telling me they would get back to me in 3-4 days...
    @adam.poole.313 and @iZombie91 - I totally empathize with your frustration. I was able to locate both your tickets and checked in with support on them. It appears they are both still open and under investigation, which can sometimes take a while for certain issues. You should either hear back from support shortly and/or know that support is following up with engineering on the things you have reported, depending on what they determine are best next steps for your specific issues. While I don't have any resolutions for you here, I do want to thank you for hanging in there while the team works through this.
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 114
    Art3mis
    I’m a little frustrated.
    During the previous days the software v12 and PTC14 didn’t work on Quest v13.
    This morning I’ve seen on this forum that there was an update, so I repaired my v12 with the latest default.
    Fine, finally I had the v13, but it didn’t work and the software suggested an update... so it became v12 again!
    Now I’m installing from scratch, but it’s 6.47GB every time. 
    What is exactly the best procedure to install everything properly?

UPDATE: I've reinstalled, the v13 works fine, but after few minutes I received a notification about a required update to do. SNOOZE IT! If it started it returns to the v12.

I'm reinstalling for the 4th time in a row. :-(
    If it's about trying to prevent an update from happening, you can use something like Process Explorer, find OVRLibraryService and suspend it.

Oculus won't restart it, and it won't download anything.
    Keep in mind this means it won't download your games though.

If they can install properly at all anyways
    Oculus please for the love - get rid of the annoying red X warning showing in the Rift S headset desktop app saying headset has no audio when using the audio jack.
    I know you have much bigger fish to fry right now, but at some point it would be nice to see this fixed and my headset show all green in the desktop app.
    Don

Brain Burst
    Richooal said:
    MrBMT said:

No, you can not.

Yup. So basically Oculus is saying....it will work for everybody when we figure out how to make it all work together.....no matter how long it takes. So, settle in....its not like we sold you a product and promised that it would ALWAYS work. LOL. I mean, working every 3 updates is a pretty good percentage, if you look at how often they put them out lately, right?
    Brain Burst
    Richooal said:
    Somebody, somewhere, is listening.
    Whoever could that be? :smile: The v13 release notes showing under 'What's New' for the previous v14 PTC release was a bug that has been escalated. The correct v14 release notes that you're seeing under 'What's New' are the same ones that were shared as the OP for this thread. There were no additions / major edits from the new PTC update that went up yesterday.

As always, if others are experiencing issues with this latest software release (or any software version) please be sure to utilize the Help Center > Provide Feedback option in the desktop software to file a bug report.

You know....Oculus support is a strange thing. They considered my ticket closed when I told them that the only way I could get my Rift S to work even semi-reliably was to hack a software downgrade back to pre-December update which effectively made it so I couldn't connect to Oculus Home without changing system files. How is that a fixed ticket? I've come to realize that Oculus has so much going on, with this Frankenstein build they are trying to create that will run everything, that trying to test each new iteration is a large drain of time. So, again, why are users being forced to beta test against their will? Why not let people roll back to a version when nobody was complaining. I mean support is telling people that their Rift S, which has worked fine for months, is somehow suddenly broken or worse, that their system is somehow not compatible now. Talk about madness.
  • skoutanskoutan Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited February 13
    After reading these discussion, I was able to connect Oculus Quest and PC by Oculus Link.
    but, Oculus Quest gets frozen right away after connection to PC.
    It was always happened at previous version. This version gets worse.
    Time that device works got shorter.
    I'm desiring the improvement for this problem.
    Art3mis
    dburne said:
    Oculus please for the love - get rid of the annoying red X warning showing in the Rift S headset desktop app saying headset has no audio when using the audio jack.
    I know you have much bigger fish to fry right now, but at some point it would be nice to see this fixed and my headset show all green in the desktop app.
    i cant understand how oyur getting that problem as i have the bionic mantis earphones on mine and never had that red cross, and this brings me back to my previos statement about i believe there to be different revisions of the rift s.

Well after this latest release that i got at like 4am yesterday morning assetto corsa competizione looked amazing again and looked flawless and that was with ASW on auto on the debug tool but i must admit that was only with 10 people in the server but i will do more testing tonight hopefully with more people in a server and then test higher grsphics settings
    Brain Burst
    morphee7 said:
    dburne said:
    i cant understand how oyur getting that problem as i have the bionic mantis earphones on mine and never had that red cross, and this brings me back to my previos statement about i believe there to be different revisions of the rift s.

Well after this latest release that i got at like 4am yesterday morning assetto corsa competizione looked amazing again and looked flawless and that was with ASW on auto on the debug tool but i must admit that was only with 10 people in the server but i will do more testing tonight hopefully with more people in a server and then test higher grsphics settings
    Morphee7,

I've been wondering about different revisions of the Rift S myself. It seems some people are saying that they have never had a problem, some are saying they have the black screen problem, some have the displayport disconnected issue, some have the USB not detected issue. At this point I have to believe that Oculus has at least some idea of what PC hardware is causing issues....there must be some pattern. If they were more open with this whole thing then maybe people could provide some good testing that could be used to build a matrix of affected hardware. From there they could give people a heads up of what to expect or not expect. Instead....vague recited answers that enlighten no one about anything. If a particular version of Nvidia card or USB 3.0 interface needs an update how can anyone act on it if Oculus isn't releasing any info?
    edited February 13
    morphee7 said:
    dburne said:

Yeah well today, go figure, mine has been showing all green with no fake warnings. Been a long time since I have seen that, no idea whatsoever why it was all green today.
    Will see what tomorrow brings LOL.

Either way though, at least my Rift S has been working perfectly all along for me.

Don

• UN-SectionOneUN-SectionOne Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited February 14
    I've installed the Oculus v14 and now i get a message on my PC:
    "A Quest software update is available for Oculus Link (Beta). ..."

My Quest is on v13 and shows no updates...