New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift S stuck in software restart required loop

Comments

• FL-SimulatorsFL-Simulators Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited January 29
    For what it's worth, this is what I got from Oculus support yesterday.
    We have multiple VR simulators in the field using the Rift (CV1) without issues.
    Since we switched to Rift S, some of the new units work without any issues and others don't.
    Using the exact same configuration and setup process.
    Tried everything in this string without success, didn't try to reboot in safe mode like described below.
    I'll give it a try...

----------------------------------

Can you please try the following troubleshooting steps listed below:

• Try another USB 3.0 Port

• Run a Repair on the Oculus Software by following the instructions found here

• If the above is not successful can you please ensure there is no antivirus or firewall enabled on your PC and run a manual uninstall and reinstall as listed below:

• Disconnect your computer from the internet.

• Backup any necessary content.
    • Reboot into Safe Mode.

• Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.

• Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:

• C:\Program Files
    • Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:

• C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
      • C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
    • Restart your computer in normal mode.

• Reconnect your computer to the internet.

• Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website 

-----------------------------------------------------------
  • TheOtherSlugTheOtherSlug Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I've spent so much time troubleshooting this device. I would return and buy another headset in the price range/ capabilities if there was one. So disappointing.
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 794
    Trinity
    I've spent so much time troubleshooting this device. I would return and buy another headset in the price range/ capabilities if there was one. So disappointing.
    You have only made one post - why not share your computer specs and problem.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • milton.logo.1milton.logo.1 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I fixed my loop by first reupdating windows then fiddling with the cable on the headset side (ie. Disconnecting and recconecting the cable from the headset.) And finally going through new headset setup and setting up the headset as a new one. This took a few tries until I tried a specific USB 3 port on my motherboard and it worked. Was able to use the headset as normal. Before I fixed it I had tried a few of the other fixes like reinstalling the Oculus app, deleting the drivers from the device manager for the headset, running the Oculus driver exe and some others mentioned here. None of them worked and was on it for about 3 hours. Was about to give up before I solved it. So just don't give up you got this. 
  • freddapfreddap Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Got a reply from support about this issue:

Hello Fredrik,

Thanks for your patience while I reviewed your case, and thank you for those logs and images. I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've encountered with the Oculus software, and I'm happy to help!

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that we are currently aware of this issue, and we are actively investigating.

This is a very high priority for us, and we hope to be able to provide a resolution as soon as possible. I will reach out to you once I have more information to provide.

Please feel free to reply to this email with any other questions, concerns, or issues you may have in the meantime. I'll be happy to continue to assist you!

Kind regards,

T****
    AR\VR Support

• Tyr0xTyr0x Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    VR2018FR said:
    Is there a option to get a earlier version of Oculus to run the Headset well?
    YES ! Yesterday I tried to retroffited my oculus drivers-diagnostics-runtime folders from my offline computer and oculus updates from october 2019 and it worked yesterday night and i woke up this morning and no problem at all so far with our missing display port and  oculus software stuck in an infinite loop ( the only thing is that  I don't have the oculus home  anymore, it says that : "some  oculus functionnality are not available etc, but  you can play offline-online-buy games, updates  apps.

I got my Rift S last week.  I used to lose connection to the controllers (and eventually the HDM tracking) within 5-10 minutes of starting anything - Oculus Home, Steam Home and SkyrimVR.

Since then I've bought an unnecessary powered hub and a PCIe USB 3.1 (Gen 2) card.  Switched between PTC and v12 of the Oculus software.  This firmware downgrade seems to have fixed just about every problem I had (tested for an hour). 

For me at least, this was 100% a firmware issue, not USB power/USB spec etc.  .This comment and post it refers to should get a lot more attention.  

@VR2018FR My gratitude is beyond words. You are a legend.
  • alb1221alb1221 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited February 12
    edit: found a fix that works for me, full description below
    NerveGear
    edited February 12

This one actually did it for me, it's an evasive issue because it has everything to do with circumnavigating legacy Windows code. Add 'er to the list.

Fix performed with latest Occulus BETA drivers.** 

Go into your device manager (you can type it into search), open the Universal Serial Bus pulldown menu. Right click every featured entry, click properties, and if you see a checkbox next to powersaving tab, uncheck it. Particularly anything with the word hub in it. Now press OK. Please share your results.

other stuff:

The Occulus isn't connected before the software calls for it, it's more to do with Windows throttling USB power than not having enough to begin with. In this issue having faster Windows boot times reproduces the bug more often. In the cases of external USB you're going to have mixed results because your hub is subject to the same power throttling and have to be similarly adjusted, with even more device perimeters. Solutions will vary wildly as people change the way Windows handles USB power.

There are many places in Windows registry that would provide bandaid fixes, but really they just need to hark the call for hardware windows hasn't recognized yet. It's a simple piece of code in the firmware that allows ~3 seconds between Rift to power up before the software tries to look for it. They haven't compensated for legacy windows code.

Reproducing success on other setups giving good results. Try this and let me know how it goes, I have isolated it to an delayed interaction between the Windows USB controller and the Occulus call for the hardware before it's been loaded into system memory.

System Information
    ------------------
          Time of this report: 2/11/2020, 22:23:28
                 Machine name: DESKTOP-S81N2QJ
                   Machine Id: {C7B1E0B2-C7B6-4F46-A13B-1D59D7D8AF56}
             Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
                     Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
          System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
                 System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
                         BIOS: P1.50 (type: UEFI)
                    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
                       Memory: 16384MB RAM
          Available OS Memory: 16318MB RAM
                    Page File: 7547MB used, 11843MB available
                  Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
              DirectX Version: DirectX 12
          DX Setup Parameters: Not found
             User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
           System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
              DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                     Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
     DirectX Database Version: Unknown
               DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

Display Devices
    ---------------
               Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
            Manufacturer: NVIDIA
               Chip type: GeForce GTX 1080
                DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
             Device Type: Full Device (POST)
              Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B80&SUBSYS_859B1043&REV_A1
           Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER] 
     Device Problem Code: No Problem
     Driver Problem Code: Unknown
          Display Memory: 16238 MB
        Dedicated Memory: 8079 MB
           Shared Memory: 8159 MB
            Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)
             HDR Support: Not Supported
        Display Topology: Internal
     Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709

-------------

• TheReviewerTheReviewer Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    If anyone is still experiencing this issue and the other strategies did not work.  This is what you could do.  

1:

• Unplug both display port and USB port (Before or during the system restart)
    • If you did unplug before the restart quickly go to the Oculus App and press Restart. Do this as fast as possible as Oculus will not allow you to do that once detected it is not connected.
    • Wait for the app to reopen
    • Once the app is reopened wait 10 seconds in the device tab.  
    • Go and plug the USB and the Display port back in
    • It should be fixed
    If all fails do the following
    2:

• Unplug the USB and the Display Port
    • On the Device tab in the app, press the device then press remove the device
    • Re-Do the setup. (so far this only works until the computer shuts off) 
    NerveGear
    edited February 12
    Look up how to disable all Windows USB power control, there's a lot of places to check but can be found with a quick Google
    NerveGear
    The USB power fix was posted in December as well and didn't work then. 
    Does it work only with the latest Oculus Beta version ?
    About time they fix this 
    NerveGear
    edited February 13

1. When the Power Options window opens, click the Change plan settings link to the right of your current power plan.
    2. Click the “Change advanced power settings” link.
    3. Expand the “USB settings” and then expand “USB Selective suspend setting“ and disable it. ...
    4. Click Apply to save your changes.

Okay short of a full shutdown I'm fine, but restarts and sleep mode are a go
    NerveGear
    Doesn't work for us. 
    Beta program installed 14.0.0.83.710
    USB power setting disabled
    also turn off power management for all USB devices in Device Manager

Still stuck in the restart required loop

• RigollRigoll Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    To anyone who is going to bus oculus shit s just dont. Buy other brands this is not working for now. to many people have problems I had this update problem then solved it when i did I immediately got the next problem with the tracking solved that and then got my next problem, the contolers stoped working solved that now the headset is blank. Im returning this asap.
    NerveGear
    edited February 14
    Doesn't work for us. 

Bear with me and try this, did a lot of digging and I'm getting towards a broader workaround:

Open Windows Powershell (enter it into search and Windows will find it) right click it, run as administrator, and copy paste the line below:

Powercfg.exe -setacvalueindex 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c 2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a3 48e6b7a6-50f5-4782-a5d4-53bb8f07e226 0

let me know how it works, also look up how to disable any fast-boot options on your bios and windows, and disable them. To fully disable USB throttling you have to also suspend other powersaving options and in some cases, disable fastboot and hiperboot.

to self: lookup "change what my power button does" it's somewhere buried in windows, and make sure it's shutting down your entire computer. 

The broad workaround to this issue is letting the software boot up before the hardware. 

**after troubleshooting unplug, and replug your Rift then repeat the action causing the sensor to disable (computer restarts / shutdowns) disable sleep modes, and check for an eventual white light, which may be preceded briefly by an orange one. I've nearly fixed the issue 24/7 on my machines.
  • gene.cullupgene.cullup Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    How did we get to usb power? Anyway I was caught in the restart because something went wrong situation. Did so many things, restarted many times. I was moving hard drives around on my computer to that is what started me moving the Oculus installation library files. After trying the install on a NEW admin account a couple of times, I am watching the screen and it always put the icon on the desktop then takes it away and it says it fails, so at the last minute I reached down and unplugged the usb and the display port plug and it succeeded! I am using the usb plug into a usb 3.1 gen 2 plug because before I kept loosing controller connection when plugged into my usb 3.1 gen 1 plug? It works, thats what matters.
  • Coins135Coins135 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have tried every single possible fix for oculus support and this comment thread.  NOTHING WORKS.   AND TO WAIT 3 DAYS FOR SUPPORTS TO REPLY TO EMAILS IS CRAZY.  I would steer clear of the S.  Obviously their focus is somewhere else.  The Oculus Company is too big to care.  Its time to take our money somewhere else.   I wish the Valve Index was in stock.......I cant believe im willing to dish out 1000K for a VR system that works.  Oculus needs to pull this product off the shelf.   I feel abused.
  • labourbelabourbe Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Also encountering this kind of issue since almost the beginning. I happen to make it work on one of my USB 3.1 gen 1 port (other ports do not seem to work as well for unknown reasons) and when starting the computer, I unplug the HMD USB cable. DP  always remains plugged in. Then I start oculus. It never works the first time, but an unplug/plug action does the trick and I'm off till a new computer restart. But not satisfactory. I haven't tried all the other tricks stated in the forum.
    My config, if that helps: Z93 D3F- i5-4690k OC- GTX1080ti (had a 1060 before, but same problem).
    Expecting a fix.
  • PhojiPhoji Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am having the same issue and am expecting a fix to be implemented.  Until then this works every time for me to reset it, just annoying having to do this every time I open the oculus software...
    I copied nethfys' post (modified) from Reddit because it wouldn't let me post the link here with steps for disabling and then re-enabling the Windows camera access that gets the Rift S working for me every time. It is still a pain because it stops working when I put the computer to sleep and wake it up again. I hope a better fix is found soon because it is a ridiculous problem to have.

• Close the Oculus app

• Unplug the Rift S

• Disable the camera permission ("Windows key + I" to open the settings - Privacy - Camera - Flip the "Allow apps to access your camera" toggle to "off")

• Plug the Rift S in again

• This should automatically start the Oculus app too, otherwise do it yourself

• Now you should get the "Sensors can't track headset" error

• Unplug the Rift S

• Toggle the camera permission to "on"

• Re-plug the Rift S (plug in USB first, wait 5 seconds, then plug in the DP cable)

• Now the status dot should be green in the Oculus app (you might have to restart it)

• ChickenBiscuits12ChickenBiscuits12 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Phoji said:
    I am having the same issue and am expecting a fix to be implemented.  Until then this works every time for me to reset it, just annoying having to do this every time I open the oculus software...
    I copied nethfys' post (modified) from Reddit because it wouldn't let me post the link here with steps for disabling and then re-enabling the Windows camera access that gets the Rift S working for me every time. It is still a pain because it stops working when I put the computer to sleep and wake it up again. I hope a better fix is found soon because it is a ridiculous problem to have.

• Close the Oculus app

• Unplug the Rift S

• Disable the camera permission ("Windows key + I" to open the settings - Privacy - Camera - Flip the "Allow apps to access your camera" toggle to "off")

• Plug the Rift S in again

• This should automatically start the Oculus app too, otherwise do it yourself

• Now you should get the "Sensors can't track headset" error

• Unplug the Rift S

• Toggle the camera permission to "on"

• Re-plug the Rift S (plug in USB first, wait 5 seconds, then plug in the DP cable)

• Now the status dot should be green in the Oculus app (you might have to restart it)

Dosen't work for me. Thanks for posting. Oh and FUCK YOU OCULUS!
  • ChickenBiscuits12ChickenBiscuits12 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have nothing but USB port 3 needed and restart required errors with my Rift S and it'll work 1% of the time just to screw with me apparently. I hate Oculus and Facebook so much for putting out this garbage product and not really seeming to care. Waiting for the Valve index to go back in stock so I can't punt this piece of shit into the dumpster. Funny how eager I am to pay $1000 and have to deal with base stations all of a sudden. GO FUCK YOURSELF OCULUS.
  • Leif.PedersenLeif.Pedersen Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Thank you for replying. I appreciate all of the troubleshooting you have tried so far.

At this time, I must let you know that we are aware of this issue with Oculus software, and are actively investigating. I can also let you know, however, that we will certainly reach back out to you and inform the resolution once we have it confirmed.

I appreciate your understanding. Please let me know if you have any other questions I can assist with.

Kind regards,
    Oculus Support

I have tried everything, time to return it. 

NerveGear
    alb1221 said:
    Doesn't work for us. 

Bear with me and try this, did a lot of digging and I'm getting towards a broader workaround:

Open Windows Powershell (enter it into search and Windows will find it) right click it, run as administrator, and copy paste the line below:

Powercfg.exe -setacvalueindex 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c 2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a3 48e6b7a6-50f5-4782-a5d4-53bb8f07e226 0

let me know how it works, also look up how to disable any fast-boot options on your bios and windows, and disable them. To fully disable USB throttling you have to also suspend other powersaving options and in some cases, disable fastboot and hiperboot.

to self: lookup "change what my power button does" it's somewhere buried in windows, and make sure it's shutting down your entire computer. 

The broad workaround to this issue is letting the software boot up before the hardware. 

**after troubleshooting unplug, and replug your Rift then repeat the action causing the sensor to disable (computer restarts / shutdowns) disable sleep modes, and check for an eventual white light, which may be preceded briefly by an orange one. I've nearly fixed the issue 24/7 on my machines.
    I tried this and in addition tried disabling fast start up: didn't solve it
  • mdoodzmdoodz Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Try to unplug both usb and display port, then plug usb first, wait for about 15 seconds, and then plug display port. This seems to solve the problem for me.
  • Leif.PedersenLeif.Pedersen Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I SOVED THE RESTART LOOP PROBLEM. I just went back to the store and got a replacement device, the new one worked perfectly the moment I plugged it in. :/
    NerveGear
    mdoodz said:
    Try to unplug both usb and display port, then plug usb first, wait for about 15 seconds, and then plug display port. This seems to solve the problem for me.
    Yes, keeping it unplugged until hte Pc has completed startup and then plugging it in works as well.
    But that is a work around instead of a fix. It used to work before and it is still working on other machines we have.
    Still hoping for the magical update from Oculus 
    NerveGear
    I SOVED THE RESTART LOOP PROBLEM. I just went back to the store and got a replacement device, the new one worked perfectly the moment I plugged it in. :/
    Did you install it on the same machine?
    Without changing any settings or updates?
    So all you did was plug in a new headset?

I wonder if it is indeed just a bad production batch.
    The last headsets I installed also did not have this issue.

NerveGear
    edited February 19
    Did you install it on the same machine?
    Without changing any settings or updates?
    So all you did was plug in a new headset?

I wonder if it is indeed just a bad production batch.
    The last headsets I installed also did not have this issue.

Oh god, i really don't want to return this thing what a pain in the ass. i've just been keeping the computer on. Are new units shipping with different firmware? could this be an issue with updating firmware or not having the version the new headsets are shipping with?
    NerveGear
    edited February 19
    bump, a software update just rolled out, at least on the beta channel not sure about live
    NerveGear
    edited February 19
    the update fixed the issue for me entirely on my devices, it fixed everything it seems