cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making stereoscopic 3D photos and videos for Oculus Go

maximsadym
Explorer
Hi all,
I'm going to hiking trip to mountains and I want to make some stereo photos and videos.
The question is how to make it? I don't want to have just 360 photos, I want real 3d stereo photos and videos.
Did anybody tried to solve this? I'm considering getting 2 goPro and fix them onto a stick, which will allow to make even Hyper Stereo, which will be very impressive in mountains. But the questions are:
1. How to synchronise photos and videos
2. How to merge them to 1 photo
3. How to view them afterwards on my Oculus Go and how to share it with my friends?
27 REPLIES 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wazzup ?

So I've been taking quite a few 3D pics with my 3D1 and they come out pretty good on the GO, not "in your face" like with a lenticular screen but stil pretty enjoyable. I've also noticed that you can zoom in/out with the pad in the Samsung VR app and that helps with immersion.

Has anyone compared the results between HSBS in the SamsungVR app and SBS in the Pigasus app ? Is it worth the money to upgrade? Thanks !

fisherro
Protege
Most of my stereo photos are from my Nintendo 3DS, so the quality isn't good enough to say whether Samsung VR or Pigasus was better.

diverswan
Explorer

Wazzup ?

So I've been taking quite a few 3D pics with my 3D1 and they come out pretty good on the GO, not "in your face" like with a lenticular screen but stil pretty enjoyable. I've also noticed that you can zoom in/out with the pad in the Samsung VR app and that helps with immersion.

Has anyone compared the results between HSBS in the SamsungVR app and SBS in the Pigasus app ? Is it worth the money to upgrade? Thanks !

With Pigasus you can view from full side by side or Hsbs. The resolution would be a bit better in full. Also you can adjust the brightness/darkness/contrast/saturation and view a slideshow. It can be viewed (picture or film) in flat or curved screen. The screen can be zoomed in on and it easily adjusts to where your head is oriented. It's worth the 3-4$ for me. For films you can have subtitles and adjust the sync. The audio sync can also be adjusted. If you choose to view in the theatre you can dim the theatre lights and have a choice of close, normal and way in the back to view the film/pictures. Anyway, enjoy the 3D stuff!

Anonymous
Not applicable

diverswan said:

Wow my 3D1 pics look pretty decent even in Half SBS, best way to view 3D pictures so far and I've tried them all (I think), hehe...the most frustrating must have been the Gadmei 8 3D !

Do you know if there's a way to batch process in SPM ? I can see an "Open File List" menu but can't seem to make much happen there, thanks.

In case you haven't already sorted it out in SPM click "File" and go down to "Multi Conversion". Under "output file type" choose hsbs (scroll to bottom) or leave as full sbs if you are using Pigasus Viewer. They must be in parallel view not in cross-view. I usually put the files in one folder. Launch a photo from the folder in SPM. Go to the multi-conversion window and after selecting settings, down on the lower right is an option to "Convert All Files".

Good luck to the original poster finding the right way to get your 3D fix in the hills. If and when you do please share them with us...? I've gone ahead and ordered a QooCam to try my own 1803D stuff with. I'll try to report back once I've tested it out.
https://www.kandaovr.com/en/qoocam/#/overview

I've got an old FujiW3 that I still use on occaisions... some of my footage is up over on the Tube...
https://www.youtube.com/user/diverswan/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

How did you like the QooCam ? I'm looking into getting the new EVO maybe, the 180 FOV is a nice upgrade over what I get with the 3D1 !

trakart_trakart
Honored Guest
In 3ds max, when we put camera height for 360 render images @ 1300mm, the view in oculus go is showing from mid level. Even if we change the camera height the view is not correct (seee it as normal), how to solve this scaling issue

goodhikers
Honored Guest

Hi all,
I'm going to hiking trip to mountains and I want to make some stereo photos and videos.
The question is how to make it? I don't want to have just 360 photos, I want real 3d stereo photos and videos.
Did anybody tried to solve this? I'm considering getting 2 goPro and fix them onto a stick, which will allow to make even Hyper Stereo, which will be very impressive in mountains. But the questions are:
1. How to synchronise photos and videos
2. How to merge them to 1 photo
3. How to view them afterwards on my Oculus Go and how to share it with my friends?

Easy peasy with ANY camera or phone camera. NO NEED FOR FANCY STEREO CAMERAS. 

For DSLRs: set the exposure to manual not automatic. Take your picture at exactly 90 degrees to your subject, take a half step right and take picture again at exactly 90 degrees (i.e. don’t turn camera towards subject). You’re done for now. When you get home, find a stereo photo maker on internet. Many are free. I use one called stereophotomaker from a developer named muttyan.

For phones: search various app stores for stereo photo makers. I use several but i3DSteroid works well on my iPhone 8. 

Video is a different media and does require specialized equipment but basic stereo pictures do not!

Bing_9876
Honored Guest
That method works kind-of well. But, your big problem is that the world moves while you take that half-step to the right. Wildlife and people move around in between shots and your stereo picture will not be two pictures of the same thing. Your 3-D picture will turn out poorly.

Even if you are taking pictures of still objects like landscapes, some things do move, such as clouds and water.  Your final picture will look weird.

For similar reasons, you need to keep the camera exactly 90 degrees ahead, as the previous responder said. That's difficult to do. Also, you cannot tilt the camera forward or backward even slightly. Nor can you twist or rotate the camera even a little bit.

Also, the quality of the final 3-D picture will depend on how far away the subject it. The closer it is, the more likely that tiny errors will ruin your photo. But, for things far away, the stereo effect is minimal.

I tried this method for years and it's just way too easy to create bad 3-D pictures -- maybe 1 in 15 worked out well. I finally broke down and bought a 3-D camera off of Amazon for about $200. It's easy and works great in almost every environment.

goodhikers
Honored Guest
Actually, I've been using this method since 1983, so I guess I've perfected the technique.  

For DSLRs: On the moving wildlife, people, etc. I usually photoshop out if they are bothersome.  On the other hand, if the photo is really important, I use a tripod and put a neutral density filter on my camera. I also chalk mark the position of the legs.  When I'm ready for the right shot, I move the tripod 6-8 inches to the right. Yes, the exposure time can exceed 30 seconds, but moving objects are blurred out for the most part.  On the other hand, most of my 3Ds were either my own travel pics or for work, and I was able to hold my DSLR steady enough to get good photos about 80-90 percent of the time.  Biggest screw up: moving camera toward the subject.  Second biggest screw up: changing the vertical of the camera--that's why I ALWAYS use a crosshatched screen display and find a prominent object on one of the lines.  I use StereoPhotoMaker as my go to app--really a great and easy-to-use program, or if really important, put the two photos side-by-side Photoshop canvas and adjust manually (usually for special work requirements).

For mobile phones: the process is far easier but the quality not quite as good.  For me, its plenty "good enough" for most of my travel photos.  I have several apps, but have settled on i3DSteroid for my iphone.  There are others, many are free or cost very little.  It is VERY, VERY easy to use.  You take the left shot and as you move right, the left had shot is "ghosted" onto the screen making it easy to make sure the vertical alignment is good.  In this regard, I have about a 95% success rate.  Biggest screw ups, same as above.  

Finally, viewing in the Oculus Go.  The only app I found acceptable is Pigasus. Once you get it working, it gets you full 4:3 pictures and looks very good (not 4K but much better than what you get in cheaper phone insert headsets).  It has one annoying feature though, not explained:  when you pull up the side-by-side view, it doesn't tell you how to get it into stereo.  You have to go into the menu below each and every picture and select "Side-by-side, full view."  Eh, voila, the 3D photo comes into 3D view.  After going through every single picture in the folder (yes, make them relatively small), you can loop, randomize, or just manually move the next one and pigasus will remember the setting.

Finally, I have absolutely nothing against buying a stereo camera but with a fair amount of practice you can get decent 3D photos with a DSLR. My camera bag is completely full and I just don't need to lug another camera body around.
More importantly, with just a little practice on your mobile phones, you can get some very good pics at a very high success rate.  Just my two cents.