cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone w/ a dell precision laptop 7720 with Nvidia Quadro p4000 get past the HDMI issue?

xsculpt
Honored Guest
Hi, new to windows 10, new to oculus. I bought a new dell precision 7720 laptop to run VR and to be able to meet CAD CAM requirements. The Nvidia Quadro P4000 was recommended and it seems to be a pretty good card. I've updated all the drivers and other aspects of the dell system with help from Dell.

When setting up the oculus, when I connect the headset I get a yellow caution that says: "Your HDMI is plugged in correctly. However, for best performance please use a different HDMI port." Of course this is the only HDMI port on the computer excepting using an adaptor for the firewire port or the mini dp. 

I've ignored it and continued the setup to abysmally slow performance. I've read about getting an adapter but only 1 in 8 of the manufacters's adapters working. Any solutions?

thanks in advance. 

michael rees

3 REPLIES 3

xsculpt
Honored Guest
Update. Without embellishment my team succeeeded in getting this to work, even though it’s not listed as a supported computer. We tried a variety of hdmi to mini dp connectors, to no avail. What worked was the dell laptop dock station. Runs smooth. Here’s a link http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/331-7950?ref=p13n_ena_pdp_vv&c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs 

I see nobody commented on this. What do you do if you want to do CAD CAM and VR on a laptop?  I can’t be the only one.

fhnwapsvr
Honored Guest
Hey there - we struggled with the same issue with several DELL 7720s and P4000 / P5000 cards. The solution that worked for us was disabling the internal Graphic Chip (Intel): Bios Settings --> Video --> Switchable Graphics --> disable "Enable Switchable Graphics" and restart.
Good luck and let us know if this did the trick.

routerbox
Honored Guest
I have a Dell 7720 and it has a Quadro M2200.  Am I out of luck for the Oculus Rift?