Lenovo is building another standalone VR headset

ShocksVR
Superstar

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S
21 REPLIES 21

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
My take, is the more that make'm, the lower the cost.  I'm OK buying budget hardware.  For us cost is the main priority.  Its what it does more than what it looks like.  Now that's a little hypocritical as I have quite a few Macs and iPhones - lol, but I have since stopped buying them because I don't think they represent value for money anymore (but I do love the OS). 
And that (from what I have read) is where Facebook wanted to take Oculus, resulting from the standard thinking of producing really high quality hardware for a premium price.  I agree with this move - there will always be a premium brand for people with deep pockets (or more money than brain cells).  Lenovo seems to be for the masses, so I hope they will make a stand alone VR either tethered or free roam. Lets get VR in to every house !
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Well, given your budget VR PC build you may be hard pressed to get good PCVR results imho.  For those that can not see his signature (like viewed on many smart phones);

Oculus Rift S (love it)
Oculus Quest 128GB (Loving it too)
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK 
Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz
GTX 1050 Ti (4GB)
16 GB RAM
1TB HDD
1TB SSD

While you may not have deep pockets, as long as you are happy with the results, that's great imho.  Just enjoy what you have and maybe save up for future upgrades.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Luciferous
Consultant
Another unexciting launch. More of the same again.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I have to laugh at all these VR companies who seem to be taken VR backwards in time. No inside out tracking or outside in tracking and it's for educational purposes? Might as well just use the trusty projection screen to show people what you are trying to teach, or even a blackboard 😄  

Oculus should have given the Quest to Lenovo to build and just added inside out tracking to this headset. It has a better design then the Oculus Quest because I doubt it will feel front heavy with the Halo strap. The rest of the specs are also better then the Oculus Quest.

We are 3 years plus on and still my Oculus CV1 is the best VR headset to get for the price IMO. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Richooal said:

I see the path clearly now....................

1. Oculus Rift
    Oculus Go

2. Lenovo Rift S
   Oculus Quest

3. Oculus Rift 2
    Lenovo Quest S

Yup, that's exactly what I said a while back. I'm just hoping that Oculus will licence the Halo head strap from Sony because after I left my Rift S at home when I went to visit my Mum for a couple of weeks I borrowed my old Rift from a mate that I gave it to to work on my game whilst I was away, and the difference in comfort is ridiculous.  😮

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

I have to laugh at all these VR companies who seem to be taken VR backwards in time. No inside out tracking or outside in tracking and it's for educational purposes? Might as well just use the trusty project screen to show people what you are trying to teach, or even a blackboard 😄  

Oculus should have given the Quest to Lenovo to build and just added inside out tracking to this headset. It has a better design then the Oculus Quest because I doubt it will feel front heavy with the Halo strap. The rest of the specs are also better then the Oculus Quest.

We are 3 years plus on and still my Oculus CV1 is the best VR headset to get for the price IMO. 

It's actually a good business move from Lenovo if the price is reasonable enough, the educational market is HUGE and worth billions.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:
Yup, that's exactly what I said a while back. I'm just hoping that Oculus will licence the Halo head strap from Sony because .....

Yeah, sorry @snowdog no matter how much I love your "Tick-Tock" prophecy, the new Lenovo system is not a Quest-S or any kind of Oculus system. I think you will find that it s pure non-OculusVR supported. Just my personal perspective, the official announcement was due at Mobile World which was sadly cancelled. But kudos for your wishful thinking. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:
Yup, that's exactly what I said a while back. I'm just hoping that Oculus will licence the Halo head strap from Sony because .....

Yeah, sorry @snowdog no matter how much I love your "Tick-Tock" prophecy, the new Lenovo system is not a Quest-S or any kind of Oculus system. I think you will find that it s pure non-OculusVR supported. Just my personal perspective, the official announcement was due at Mobile World which was sadly cancelled. But kudos for your wishful thinking. 

I'm fully aware that it's an Oculus Go clone with an updated graphics chip and the article says that it's having a Lenovo Store. If you read the post I'm quoting @Richooal has just repeated what I've said in the past. The Oculus tock headsets will be manufactured by Oculus and the Oculus tick headsets (the S versions) will be outsourced to Lenovo (or another third party manufacturer). At no point in my post did I nor @Richooal imply that the Lenovo standalone was in any way connected to the Rift line of headsets.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

RedRizla said:

I have to laugh at all these VR companies who seem to be taken VR backwards in time. No inside out tracking or outside in tracking and it's for educational purposes? Might as well just use the trusty project screen to show people what you are trying to teach, or even a blackboard 😄  

It's actually a good business move from Lenovo if the price is reasonable enough, the educational market is HUGE and worth billions.

But all you are doing is basically looking at a screen with a controller that acts like a mouse no doubt. We might as well just stick to a laptop if that's the case. Yes you will see things in 3D, but Nvidia 3D vision did that and that's old hat. My main point was that after 3 plus years is this how far VR has advanced? When I look at all the other VR headsets this is hardly any advancement and for the price Oculus CV1 still wins hands down.

The rest of the VR headsets just don't come close to Oculus CV1 for the price and what you get. Great tracking, great controllers, great blacks, good headphones, etc. I'm waiting for something that is actually a lot better then Oculus CV1 and comes in at a good price. I would pay around £700 for a decent upgrade, but at this rate I don't think I'll see an Oculus CV1 winner for years to come.