cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the current Oculus Rift Touch controller work with the new Oculus Rift S?

Rahotep
Protege
I would like to understand if the "old" Touch controller will work with the new Rift S headset.
18 REPLIES 18

dvnelson72
Explorer
FYI -- I tried to pair my Quest/RiftS controllers with my original Rift.  My dev laptop doesn't have a displayport and I don't use my desktop unless I have to.

The new controllers would not pair with the original Rift.

Tele_23
Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

Another reason not to get the Rift-S - I truly love Touch. The new Rift-S controllers don't seem to protect my fingers, when I hit a brick wall from time to time (and I do):

Image result for rift-s controller

Compared to my protective Touch semi-gloves 🙂

Image result for oculus touch

Honestly your just clumsy so people can choose at their discretion 

natedizzy
Honored Guest

better question might be,

anyone knows if it will be possible to use a rift s headset with original rift controllers, keeping the rift 1 sensors installed.

i could see this working in steam vr where you can tell steam vr to use multiple drivers (mixing wmr with steam wand controllers for example) but not sure it anything like that is available in rift core.

its a bit poor that they didn't think about this combo and maybe add constellation leds to the rift s so we could just replace the head set in existing setups and benefit from a higher resolution display without having to change our playspace, like what steam did with the vive to vive pro upgrade

SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS

kojack
MVP
MVP

natedizzy said:

better question might be,

anyone knows if it will be possible to use a rift s headset with original rift controllers, keeping the rift 1 sensors installed.

i could see this working in steam vr where you can tell steam vr to use multiple drivers (mixing wmr with steam wand controllers for example) but not sure it anything like that is available in rift core.

its a bit poor that they didn't think about this combo and maybe add constellation leds to the rift s so we could just replace the head set in existing setups and benefit from a higher resolution display without having to change our playspace, like what steam did with the vive to vive pro upgrade

SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS

It's not possible.

The original Touch controllers communicate directly with the Rift CV1 headset. While the sensors track the position of the controllers, they still need a connection via the headset (to send inertial tracking data, button state, etc). The sensors don't do that.
The Rift-S headset can't communicate with the CV1 controllers.

So... CV1 controllers only work with the CV1 headset. Rift-S/Quest controllers only work with the Rift-S and Quest.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Honestly, this question has been answered soooo many times.  It's hard to believe that some people still do not realise that the Rift S and Quest use inside-out tracking via their headset's cameras (4x on Quest, 5x on Rift S).  The older Rift cv1 uses external sensors, which are essentially cameras and it does not have any cameras on its headset.

So, pretty simple; Rift S and Quest controllers can be used with both Rift S and Quest headsets (2 at a time of course) and Rift cv1 headsets can only use Rift cv1 controllers.  Pretty darn simple and does not require much research imho. 

Sort of like asking if I have a car that runs on gasoline can I run it on diesel, and vice versa, lol! 
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

bigmike20vt
Visionary

TomCgcmfc said:

Sort of like asking if I have a car that runs on gasoline can I run it on diesel, and vice versa, lol! 

Just being a pedant but some diesels can run on petrol (or cooking oil) 😉
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

coluouse
Explorer
Excellent analogy, very interesting 🙂

Kyleo1234
Honored Guest
ok we cant use old controlers with new headset as is  but  what if we leave old headset pluged in (for conecting cv1 controlers) and then use a different headset for visuals    esentualy having 2 headsets plugged in but only rendering to one while getting tracking for controlers from the other?

kojack
MVP
MVP
Only a single Oculus headset can be active at a time. When you activate the Rift-S or Quest Link, the CV1 headset, sensors and controllers shut down.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2