cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controller Batteries - Short Life

elvard
Honored Guest
I use rechargeables in my Xbox controller and they last forever. In the Quest controllers, they are dead in a week while NOT being used. Anybody know anything about this? Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Yes, but my RiftS is worse than my Quest.  I have these coming tomorrow
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FDVZLYY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So with any luck it will be a problem solved.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

elvard said:

I use rechargeables in my Xbox controller and they last forever. In the Quest controllers, they are dead in a week while NOT being used. Anybody know anything about this? Thanks.

That is strange - I use mine every day and they last more than a week.

Mind you, if they are weak (amperage-wise) and not eneloop they won't last as long. eneloop is always the priority - I use 2450mAh "pro" ones - they work very well and hold their charge in new and original Touch, as well as all my other battery operated stuff like cameras etc. Standard eneloops are 1900mAH and do a good enough job, too, though I find the charge doesn't last quite as long.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

elvard
Honored Guest
They are Eneloops

Richooal
Consultant
This problem has been around for years and Ocubook is not listening.
Even if you're using rechargeables, it's unacceptable for battery power to be drained when not in use.

I modified my battery covers (original Touch) so that I can slip a piece of plastic between the battery and terminal. The result is zero battery drain when not in use, and no adverse effect on the controllers.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/81139/improving-touch-controller-battery-life-warni...

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why not just remove the batteries when not in use?
If I am going to go a few days without using the controllers that is what I do.

Richooal
Consultant

dburne said:

Why not just remove the batteries when not in use?
If I am going to go a few days without using the controllers that is what I do.

I used to, but this is way quicker.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

elvard
Honored Guest
What a stupid wasteful design. That is a flaw I can't live with. I just bought mine back in November. I think I'll be selling on eBay. 

KarstenS80
Adventurer

JD-UK said:

elvard said:

That is strange - I use mine every day and they last more than a week.

Mind you, if they are weak (amperage-wise) and not eneloop they won't last as long. eneloop is always the priority - I use 2450mAh "pro" ones - they work very well and hold their charge in new and original Touch, as well as all my other battery operated stuff like cameras etc. Standard eneloops are 1900mAH and do a good enough job, too, though I find the charge doesn't last quite as long.

I used the white Enelop a while. Every second day I had to replace them. 

NiZn rechargeables lasted much longer. 

Now I'm testing Li-Ion rechargeables in AA format (these with a Micro USB connector for charging).

Ray_Sover
Expert Protege
You may want to check with Oculus that NiZn are safe to use long-term as their fully charged voltage is around 1.85V. Fully charged Eneloop NiMHs are around 1.45V, so comfortably inside the 1.5V the controller is expecting. Unlike some cheaper NiMHs, Eneloops also stay above 1.2V for roughly 90% of their discharge cycle under light loads.
Intel i7-6700K OCed to 4.7GHz (all cores) @ 1.37V with Corsair Hydro H60 Rev.2 liquid cooling | Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 OCed to 1.7GHz boost clock @ 1.05V | 16GB (2x 8GB) HyperX Predator DDR4-3333 CL16 RAM | Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3 motherboard | Win10 Pro 64-bit on 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD on PCIe3.0 x4 | Corsair RM750x PSU | Oculus Rift S