cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Do beware of the sun - some dude had the Index in his living room and was not careful enough - sunburn looks like this (it's the black spot - see the yellow sun trail leading up to (or away from) the black spot):

ufr6h40xedo0.jpg

- and Rift-S isn't any different, here's a photo of the sun burning the Rift-S screen:

ssqlrbx0aybq.png

Rule of thumb: there must never be any direct sunlight in the room where you use your hmd, damage may occur in seconds.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

Do beware of the sun - some dude had the Index in his living room and was not careful enough

A while back I bought a whole shwack of these on Amazon:

gbmsq0cv3pf8.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0819NKR7F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SrdrEb3V9H5E0

I get sun coming into my play area from two sides, depending on time of the day, and there really isn't a way to shield my headsets by orienting them one way or another.

It's been several times now that I walked into my play area with my headset completely bathed in direct sunlight. Were it not for these little bad boys, I'm sure I would have ruined at least one of them, if not all

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Alyx will launch March 23, but if you've got Index hardware, besides getting Alyx for free you're in for a special treat:

"https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/status/1228040497706389505

Or from Steam:
Already own a VALVE INDEX headset or controllers?
You'll get Half-Life: Alyx free, plus extra content.

Customers who have purchased Valve Index hardware before the game is released on Steam will have access to unique bonuses starting in early 2020:

• Explore environments from Half-Life: Alyx in your SteamVR Home space
  • Alternate gun skins to embellish Alyx's arsenal
  • Special Half-Life: Alyx-themed content for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

Community-built environments

A set of Source 2 tools for building new environments will ship with the game, enabling any player to build and contribute new environments for the community to enjoy. Hammer, Valve’s level authoring tool, has been updated with all of the game’s virtual reality gameplay tools and components.

Note that getting Alyx for free may correspond to paying only $230 for Index controllers - if you already have base stations and a compatible hmd. Buying any piece of Index hardware will automatically give you Alyx for free and also includes the bonus content. 

Current system requirements are - and there are no "recommended" requirements for now:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Core i5-7500 / Ryzen 5 1600
    • Memory: 12 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GTX 1060 / RX 580 - 6GB VRAM

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Hmmm, I hope not the professionals get a strong taste for Indices and get first dibs compared to normal users... Looks fun though - but $12 for 4 min  :#

c9yyu089xmpm.jpg
8iatauls80t5.jpg

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Hmmm, I hope not the professionals get a strong taste for Indices and get first dibs compared to normal users... Looks fun though - but $12 for 4 min  :#

It is fun, really nice game with four player co-op action - and the impressive display from the Index all adds the the Out-of-Home entertainment platform. 

https://www.facebook.com/TwoBitCircus/videos/827806781001881/?t=15

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just got new firmware for the hmd, now I can switch refresh rate on the fly - I no longer have to restart SteamVR. In fact I can switch in the middle of an app or game, simply awesome!
And now it was very easy to compare 80, 90, 120 and 144 Hz. 80 fps are significantly worse than 90, just waving your hands it's easy to see you lack fps compared to 90 fps. Now 90 fps are far from as perfect as 120 fps, but 90 fps aren't bad - it makes sense for Abrash to consider 90 as the minimum for a great VR experience. And 72 fps are definitely a no-go. 2c.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Just got new firmware for the hmd, now I can switch refresh rate on the fly - I no longer have to restart SteamVR. In fact I can switch in the middle of an app or game, simply awesome!
And now it was very easy to compare 80, 90, 120 and 144 Hz. 80 fps are significantly worse than 90, just waving your hands it's easy to see you lack fps compared to 90 fps. Now 90 fps are far from as perfect as 120 fps, but 90 fps aren't bad - it makes sense for Abrash to consider 90 as the minimum for a great VR experience. And 72 fps are definitely a no-go. 2c.

Ok, maybe it's just me being late to the show - seems the possibility to change refresh rate on the fly has been working for more than a month. But it requires the latest Nvidia driver and the HMD firmware update - and I didn't get any message about the firmware update from Valve before last night:

"Framerate can be changed without restarting (requires NVIDIA driver version 441, or higher). Requires firmware update." (from Valve Index Reddit)

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

Nice  ❤️ Did see that some patch was ready for download, now I know why  🙂

BORDERLANDS 2 VR PATCH: JANUARY 29, 2020

POSTED: JAN 29 2020

Today, we will release a patch for Borderlands 2 VR that adds support for the Valve Index headset as well as some community-requested quality of life improvements!

Official Index Support

• BL2VR now supports the Index headset!
  • Added Index controller meshes, in-game controller layouts and created a new “2K Knuckles Config” Index Binding as the default option for Knuckles controllers

Motion controller-based movement

• Added an option in-game to change between head vs. MOVER-based movement

Scope Framerate Option

• Added an option to choose between 30, 60, 90, and 120 FPS for the scope window
But what I want most is support for the 4K texture pack! BTW, Borderlands 2 is in fact a real AAA game, although it wasn't built ground up for VR. It's estimated that Borderlands 2 had a $35 mill budget - and that's without adding costs of later patches and VR versions. 

I am just loving this game at the moment, i bought in on Steam and the PSVR, but have been relaxing with a joypad on the PSVR and just lapping this game up, it is just amazing how having played this game to death on every system from the PC tp xbox 360 to XBX, that playing it again in VR is like playing a new game, amazing what that VR immersion can bring to a game that you thougt you would never look at again, a bit like SkyrimVR........now if you excuse me i am one level off 72 on UVHM then i can move to overpowered....Mahahahhahahaha. lol

But nice to know that when Valve feel fit to stock the knuckle controllers again then support for them will be in the game when i fire it up. 🙂
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Looks like Valve just sent a free Index Kit to someone in need:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/f6boe7/thank_you_valve_and_the_index_team/

His story:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/f64muc/what_my_therapist_said_about_vr/

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Sony has patented a Knuckles-like controller with full finger-tracking, then again - everybody loves the Index controllers  ❤️  o:)

psvr 2 controller
https://uploadvr.com/sony-psvr-2-controller-patent/