New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Controller Batteries - Short Life

elvardelvard Posts: 4
NerveGear
I use rechargeables in my Xbox controller and they last forever. In the Quest controllers, they are dead in a week while NOT being used. Anybody know anything about this? Thanks.

Comments

• Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 536
    Nexus 6
    Yes, but my RiftS is worse than my Quest.  I have these coming tomorrow
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FDVZLYY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    So with any luck it will be a problem solved.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 15, Quest Version 15
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,363 Valuable Player
    elvard said:
    I use rechargeables in my Xbox controller and they last forever. In the Quest controllers, they are dead in a week while NOT being used. Anybody know anything about this? Thanks.
    That is strange - I use mine every day and they last more than a week.

Mind you, if they are weak (amperage-wise) and not eneloop they won't last as long. eneloop is always the priority - I use 2450mAh "pro" ones - they work very well and hold their charge in new and original Touch, as well as all my other battery operated stuff like cameras etc. Standard eneloops are 1900mAH and do a good enough job, too, though I find the charge doesn't last quite as long.

• elvardelvard Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    They are Eneloops
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,444
    Project 2501
    This problem has been around for years and Ocubook is not listening.
    Even if you're using rechargeables, it's unacceptable for battery power to be drained when not in use.

I modified my battery covers (original Touch) so that I can slip a piece of plastic between the battery and terminal. The result is zero battery drain when not in use, and no adverse effect on the controllers.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/81139/improving-touch-controller-battery-life-warning-complex-mod-instructions#latest

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,220 Valuable Player
    Why not just remove the batteries when not in use?
    If I am going to go a few days without using the controllers that is what I do.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,444
    Project 2501
    dburne said:
    Why not just remove the batteries when not in use?
    If I am going to go a few days without using the controllers that is what I do.

I used to, but this is way quicker.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• elvardelvard Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    What a stupid wasteful design. That is a flaw I can't live with. I just bought mine back in November. I think I'll be selling on eBay. 
  • KarstenS80KarstenS80 Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    JD-UK said:
    elvard said:
    That is strange - I use mine every day and they last more than a week.

Mind you, if they are weak (amperage-wise) and not eneloop they won't last as long. eneloop is always the priority - I use 2450mAh "pro" ones - they work very well and hold their charge in new and original Touch, as well as all my other battery operated stuff like cameras etc. Standard eneloops are 1900mAH and do a good enough job, too, though I find the charge doesn't last quite as long.
    I used the white Enelop a while. Every second day I had to replace them. 

NiZn rechargeables lasted much longer. 

Now I'm testing Li-Ion rechargeables in AA format (these with a Micro USB connector for charging).
  • Ray_SoverRay_Sover Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    You may want to check with Oculus that NiZn are safe to use long-term as their fully charged voltage is around 1.85V. Fully charged Eneloop NiMHs are around 1.45V, so comfortably inside the 1.5V the controller is expecting. Unlike some cheaper NiMHs, Eneloops also stay above 1.2V for roughly 90% of their discharge cycle under light loads.
    Intel i7-6700K OCed to 4.7GHz (all cores) @ 1.37V with Corsair Hydro H60 Rev.2 liquid cooling | Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 OCed to 1.5GHz base clock @ 1V | 16GB (2x 8GB) HyperX Predator DDR4-3333 CL16 RAM | Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3 motherboard | Win10 Pro 64-bit on 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD on PCIe3.0 x4 | Corsair RM750x PSU | Oculus Rift S
    Nexus 6

Now I'm testing Li-Ion rechargeables in AA format (these with a Micro USB connector for charging).
    OoOO got a link ?
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 15, Quest Version 15
  • KarstenS80KarstenS80 Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    Umpa_PC said:

OoOO got a link ?
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07D9K2H9H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Dunno what to suggest - mine last me plenty and used every day.

Nexus 6
    Umpa_PC said:

OoOO got a link ?
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07D9K2H9H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Not ever seen any like they before. lol. I went fo a more traditional l-ion aa replacement.
  • vargabloodvargablood Posts: 75
    Hiro Protagonist
    i remove the AAs when not playing, especially the left touch controller seems to empty the battery very quick even not used. 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,573 Volunteer Moderator
    I'll get round to doing some more battery life tests sometime soon to get some base values with a headset that seems to have no problems with Touch battery life. Comparison times would be useful, if anyone else wants to start logging their battery usage times that would be great.

So far I've only don't the Touch test for:
    1. Rift-S and removing batteries between sessions - 38 hrs 10 mins with 2500mAh eneloop pro's.

So times needed for:
    2. Rift-S with batteries left in (separate times needed for playtime and for total time that batteries are in)
    3. Quest playtime with batteries removed between sessions.
    4. Quest with batteries left in & headset in standby between sessions (separate times needed for playtime and for total time)
    5. Quest with batteries left in but headset completely powered down between sessions (separate times needed for playtime and for total time).

All values would be fantastic including what type of battery used, and may indicate whether individuals have a problem with their particular contollers/headset or whether it's just down to headsets being powered down or powered off.... or whether it's influenced by particular battery types.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • cigaremoodscigaremoods Posts: 229
    Nexus 6
    edited February 18
    Hello

I think I have tried everything, batteries of major brands stamped "long life" paid a fortune. I tried rechargeable batteries from different brands too.

The result is always similar to within a few hours between rechargeable and non-rechargeable batteries! It never exceeds a week, and I'm talking about 5 days. I don't count weekends.

The duration is not really conclusive, I prefer to use rechargeable batteries in fene, because in addition to the price of the headset when you add the "phenomenal" cost of purchasing batteries, the operating cost of the headset becomes exorbitant !!! :s

Not to mention also the obligation to always have the lights on for touch monitoring.

Cordially
    MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Intel core I9-9900K, MSI RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio 11go, Corsair DDR4 16go, SSD Samsung NVMe M.2 500go, SSD Samsung 2To 860 QVO,
    edited February 19
    As mentioned previously - make sure if you use rechargeables they are eneloops.

The difference is very large and comes from the fact that the discharge when not in use is minimal.

• morsifymorsify Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    Wow, that's pretty bad. I use ordinary AA batteries in my Rift CV1 and they last a good 3 months (I mainly only use it a couple of times a week but that seems pretty good to me). Surely the design can't be so different? Have you tried normal AAs or does the Quest use different batteries ?
    Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X, i7 9770K, 16GB DDR4, EVGA RTX2070XC 8GB Ultra Gaming, AOC 32" monitor, 2 x Inatek PCI USB controllers, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 64 Home
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,913 Valuable Player
    morsify said:
    Wow, that's pretty bad. I use ordinary AA batteries in my Rift CV1 and they last a good 3 months (I mainly only use it a couple of times a week but that seems pretty good to me). Surely the design can't be so different? Have you tried normal AAs or does the Quest use different batteries ?
    Same here, CV1 batteries last for months - another great reason to appreciate the CV1 ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"