cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S stuck in software restart required loop

Wilky926
Explorer
Hi all.  I bought an Oculus Rift S to replace my original Rift yesterday, set it up and played with it all day with no issues.  However today it just will not work at all!  The Oculus home keeps telling me that it requires a software restart but every time I do this it just reboots and tells me it needs to restart again.  Also windows flashes up saying the headset is not detected every time I turn my pc on now and the setup for the headset gets stuck on the sensor setup part.
I have updated all drivers and downloaded the latest Oculus software and ran the repair and nothing has worked so far.  
A google search is revealing that this has been an issue since July!  but I cant find a definitive answer as to how to fix this.
Any help is appreciated because im 2 seconds away from sending this back and getting a HTC Vive lol.
217 REPLIES 217

ChickenBiscuits
Honored Guest
I have nothing but USB port 3 needed and restart required errors with my Rift S and it'll work 1% of the time just to screw with me apparently. I hate Oculus and Facebook so much for putting out this garbage product and not really seeming to care. Waiting for the Valve index to go back in stock so I can't punt this piece of shit into the dumpster. Funny how eager I am to pay $1000 and have to deal with base stations all of a sudden. GO FUCK YOURSELF OCULUS.

Leif_Pedersen
Honored Guest
Thank you for replying. I appreciate all of the troubleshooting you have tried so far.

At this time, I must let you know that we are aware of this issue with Oculus software, and are actively investigating. I can also let you know, however, that we will certainly reach back out to you and inform the resolution once we have it confirmed.

I appreciate your understanding. Please let me know if you have any other questions I can assist with.

Kind regards,
Oculus Support

I have tried everything, time to return it. 

FL-Simulators
Explorer

alb1221 said:

Doesn't work for us. 
Beta program installed 14.0.0.83.710
USB power setting disabled
also turn off power management for all USB devices in Device Manager

Still stuck in the restart required loop

Bear with me and try this, did a lot of digging and I'm getting towards a broader workaround:

Open Windows Powershell (enter it into search and Windows will find it) right click it, run as administrator, and copy paste the line below:

Powercfg.exe -setacvalueindex 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c 2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a3 48e6b7a6-50f5-4782-a5d4-53bb8f07e226 0

let me know how it works, also look up how to disable any fast-boot options on your bios and windows, and disable them. To fully disable USB throttling you have to also suspend other powersaving options and in some cases, disable fastboot and hiperboot.

to self: lookup "change what my power button does" it's somewhere buried in windows, and make sure it's shutting down your entire computer. 

The broad workaround to this issue is letting the software boot up before the hardware. 

**after troubleshooting unplug, and replug your Rift then repeat the action causing the sensor to disable (computer restarts / shutdowns) disable sleep modes, and check for an eventual white light, which may be preceded briefly by an orange one. I've nearly fixed the issue 24/7 on my machines.

I tried this and in addition tried disabling fast start up: didn't solve it

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try to unplug both usb and display port, then plug usb first, wait for about 15 seconds, and then plug display port. This seems to solve the problem for me.

Leif_Pedersen
Honored Guest
I SOVED THE RESTART LOOP PROBLEM. I just went back to the store and got a replacement device, the new one worked perfectly the moment I plugged it in. 😕

FL-Simulators
Explorer

mdoodz said:

Try to unplug both usb and display port, then plug usb first, wait for about 15 seconds, and then plug display port. This seems to solve the problem for me.

Yes, keeping it unplugged until hte Pc has completed startup and then plugging it in works as well.
But that is a work around instead of a fix. It used to work before and it is still working on other machines we have.
Still hoping for the magical update from Oculus 

FL-Simulators
Explorer

I SOVED THE RESTART LOOP PROBLEM. I just went back to the store and got a replacement device, the new one worked perfectly the moment I plugged it in. 😕

Did you install it on the same machine?
Without changing any settings or updates?
So all you did was plug in a new headset?

I wonder if it is indeed just a bad production batch.
The last headsets I installed also did not have this issue.

alb1221
Explorer

Did you install it on the same machine?
Without changing any settings or updates?
So all you did was plug in a new headset?

I wonder if it is indeed just a bad production batch.
The last headsets I installed also did not have this issue.

Oh god, i really don't want to return this thing what a pain in the ass. i've just been keeping the computer on. Are new units shipping with different firmware? could this be an issue with updating firmware or not having the version the new headsets are shipping with?

alb1221
Explorer
bump, a software update just rolled out, at least on the beta channel not sure about live

alb1221
Explorer
the update fixed the issue for me entirely on my devices, it fixed everything it seems