Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class Action Against Oculus and Facebook

XMadMarkX
Honored Guest

Now that the new owners of Oculus have monopolized anything to do with
the social side of the Oculus system and basically ended about 50% of the
reason people bought the product in the first place. (being able to join and play with friend)

I believe and some legal advisers have stated because no alternative was
put in place for those who will not be forced to make a Facebook account and
because when the produced was purchased no mention of this was conveyed to the
purchaser. The product as a result is now less than the product that was
originally purchased and a refund on not only the product but also any software
that is also impacted by way of not being able to join, find or engage with
friends.

This class action law suit if supported by enough purchasers of one of
the Oculus systems will send a strong message to manufactures that monopolizing
products after selling will be a costly exercise.

A simple fix to this would be to reinstate the original system and
provide a Facebook alternative for those that choose it.

This message will be posted in as many forums as possible to garner support and further information about the class action will be updated later including how to join the class action. 
24 REPLIES 24

zapateroX
Honored Guest
As usual I’m late to the party but, I’m totally upset.  I waited for months for the Quest and now a lot of the functionality is gone because I’m required to create an FB account.  Moreover, I’m told there’s safety involved.  From a company that expects it’s users to determine what is real and what isn’t... in Virtual Reality.  The logic alone begs some thought.

But, seriously, there have to be alternatives, otherwise is this not just another Microsoft Explorer anti-trust case and we can all read how that turned out?  On a side note, it seems there’s a lot more appetite about breaking up and regulating tech.  I wonder how that might fair for the company perceived as ruining democracy?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Class Action Against Oculus and Facebook

This class action law suit if supported by enough purchasers of one of the Oculus systems will send a strong message

This message will be posted in as many forums as possible

I have also today email Mark Zuckerberg personally with more information and also links to this forum post

Pro Tip: A Forum Post is NOT a Class Action Lawsuit.

LoneEcho
Expert Protege
I remember how all my friends laughed at me when i told them i refuse to give any personal info on FB. Including real name and photo. This was before it became public that FB is selling peoples private info. After that i permanently deleted my FB account. What do you expect from a "social" network whose founder is an antisocial creep.  I do believe Mark should serve some jail time, alongside of paying fines. Because multi million fines are nothing to multi billion companies.  I tried creating a new facebook account, after FB allowed again that people use nicknames. On new OS, with new email, with super long and complex password. You know what happened? FB logged me out of my account like 3 days later, claiming that my security is compromised and i must give them a personal document with a photo if i want to log back in. NEVER again, Mark. Never again.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

DuxCro said:

I remember how all my friends laughed at me when i told them i refuse to give any personal info on FB. Including real name and photo. This was before it became public that FB is selling peoples private info.

Facebook buys private info from other companies who sell it. If you don't think Facebook already has your private info, then you should look in to how many companies have been freely selling private consumer info for years. It started long before Mark Zuckerberg came along.

NEVER again, Mark. Never again.

Never, except for the fact that you have an Oculus Account? lol

LoneEcho
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

Never, except for the fact that you have an Oculus Account? lol

What i meant to say is i will never again use Facebook. Or give my personal info to Facebook. For oculus account, they have my email address. Nothing else. That's a photo of Rick Mayal on my profile, and no, my real name is not DuxCro. 😄 And if i ever find out they use those headset cameras to spy on me, I'll make sure to do all my future VR gameplays naked in front of a big mirror. Does that make you horny, Mark baby? 😘

wzygrr
Protege

XMadMarkX said:

Now that the new owners of Oculus have monopolized anything to do with
the social side of the Oculus system and basically ended about 50% of the
reason people bought the product in the first place. (being able to join and play with friend)

I believe and some legal advisers have stated because no alternative was
put in place for those who will not be forced to make a Facebook account and
because when the produced was purchased no mention of this was conveyed to the
purchaser. The product as a result is now less than the product that was
originally purchased and a refund on not only the product but also any software
that is also impacted by way of not being able to join, find or engage with
friends.

This class action law suit if supported by enough purchasers of one of
the Oculus systems will send a strong message to manufactures that monopolizing
products after selling will be a costly exercise.

A simple fix to this would be to reinstate the original system and
provide a Facebook alternative for those that choose it.

This message will be posted in as many forums as possible to garner support and further information about the class action will be updated later including how to join the class action. 

I agree with you, count me in!  

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

DuxCro said:
For oculus account, they have my email address. Nothing else.

How do you pay for your Oculus Software and Hardware?

LoneEcho
Expert Protege

Zenbane said:

How do you pay for your Oculus Software and Hardware?

Bought Rift S on Amazon. Never bought any games on Oculus store.  Steam and Viveport.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

DuxCro said:

Bought Rift S on Amazon. Never bought any games on Oculus store.  Steam and Viveport.

So Amazon, Valve, and HTC have your personal information? They have all faced security breaches.

And fyi, they all use a 3rd party company for your banking information. Your bank has likely had multiple security breaches as well.

Do you use a proxy server to access this forum? If not, then Facebook has your IP address for each post, and Facebook purchases information about you from other companies, who also have your IP address if you aren't using a proxy.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I always play in VR wearing a tinfoil hat. They're not getting ANYTHING from me.  😄