New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

New HTC Range - The Thread

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,058 Valuable Player
edited February 20 in General

HTC adds three new members to the Vive Cosmos family: Elite, XR and Play

https://chinese.engadget.com/chinese-2020-02-19-htc-vive-cosmos-elite-xr-play.html

P6ftmuw.jpg
** New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Comments

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,058 Valuable Player

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,854 Valuable Player
    I was kinda hoping that Vive would get their Cosmos tracking up to Rift S standards before introducing new faceplate options.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,045 Valuable Player

VIVE Cosmos | Change the face of VR

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I was kinda hoping that Vive would get their Cosmos tracking up to Rift S standards before introducing new faceplate options.

Yes, this does seem a bit of a damp squib on improvements - they have a better Pass-Thru now, and the sensor track mount may be interesting (we will need to get our hands on it). I feel that HTC are trying to address the mess from the Cosmos wreck. Now they have "restructured" their executive pool - they also seem with the the Elite have created a better package. But is still has the issues that all HTC hardware has at the moment. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,913 Valuable Player
    Cosmos Elite looks great - apart from the controllers - backpedalling to the best tracking in the world or close ;-)

So normal Cosmos has been replaced by the new Cosmos King:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,382 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:

Unfortunately for HTC that's unlikely to happen anytimesoon. The tracking for both headsets use Machine Learning.

Even if HTC had the processing power that Oculus have at their disposal (which they don't because they don't have an endless stream of wonga) the Rift S has been out for longer so the Machine Learning has many more hours under its belt.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,913 Valuable Player
    edited February 20
    ... and the only advantage compared to Index would be... 

- btw, you can use Knuckles with base stations 1.0. But there's no bigger fov and no 120 and 144 Hz. 
    I'd be hard pressed to get Cosmos Elite instead of Vive Pro - and lcd is only an option if you already own an oled hmd ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    HTC what a bunch of executive morons.
    And now the second shoe drops!

HTC today also revealed Vive Proton. The company is calling this a “prototype” headset with two different flavors: a standalone VR headset and a ‘VR viewer’ which would be powered by a tethered device like a smartphone.

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-proton-prototype-reveal/?fbclid=IwAR1fwlU4Xw2D2MZHvV1cFEU1EZiwPOr7PjPJ-tH6JUFvb1uHvAJPBAgdqds

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    kevinw729 said: iui

HTC today also revealed Vive Proton. The company is calling this a “prototype” headset with two different flavors: a standalone VR headset and a ‘VR viewer’ which would be powered by a tethered device like a smartphone.

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-proton-prototype-reveal/?fbclid=IwAR1fwlU4Xw2D2MZHvV1cFEU1EZiwPOr7PjPJ-tH6JUFvb1uHvAJPBAgdqds

A standalone powered by a smart phone. Wow that only reinforces my feelings how dumb htc is.
    inovator said:
    A standalone powered by a smart phone. Wow that only reinforces my feelings how dumb htc is.

Understand your perspective @inovator - but of the two versions the standalone-no-phone unit (Quest-like) sounds interesting, especially as they will have access to Snapdragon 855.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    kevinw729 said:
    inovator said:

Understand your perspective @inovator - but of the two versions the standalone-no-phone unit (Quest-like) sounds interesting, especially as they will have access to Snapdragon 855.

I believe I understand what your saying about the 855 snapdragon. But 1st off not everyone will have that. I believe people dont want to bother with a phone for vr in general. It will use up there battery for when the need it for calls etc. It will disappear sooner rather than later.
    inovator said:
    I believe I understand what your saying about the 855 snapdragon. But 1st off not everyone will have that. I believe people dont want to bother with a phone for vr in general. It will use up there battery for when the need it for calls etc. It will disappear sooner rather than later.

I think there is a disconnect - I am not talking about the "VR Viewer", but the "Standalone" that is not tethered to a phone. This one is the real interest - and with what has happened with Quest is serious interest for the Enterprise scene, especially with Qualcomm support missing from the alternative. We also have to be mindful that Samsung is about to announce also on this front. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,148 Valuable Player
    Hi
    pardon my ignorance but what games are these standalone rivals gonna run?  are HTC going to try to start their own app store? 
    TBH i find the hardware in the quest pretty weaksauce, but what makes it the device that it is imo is the fantastic games on the oculus store for it (as well as tethering to a PC)

but it does not matter how good the hardware is if you dont have access to the likes of robo recall or moss or etc etc etc
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    kevinw729 said: ju
    inovator said:

I think there is a disconnect - I am not talking about the "VR Viewer", but the "Standalone" that is not tethered to a phone. This one is the real interest - and with what has happened with Quest is serious interest for the Enterprise scene, especially with Qualcomm support missing from the alternative. We also have to be mindful that Samsung is about to announce also on this front. 
    Ok I misunderstood. So I would have to believe if they get the tracking right on the new models then it would mean the 1st cosmos had a hardware defect.
    Hi
    pardon my ignorance but what games are these standalone rivals gonna run?  are HTC going to try to start their own app store? 
    TBH i find the hardware in the quest pretty weaksauce, but what makes it the device that it is imo is the fantastic games on the oculus store for it (as well as tethering to a PC)

but it does not matter how good the hardware is if you dont have access to the likes of robo recall or moss or etc etc etc
    Hi could be used on steam and reverb on oculus.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    edited February 20
    kevinw729 said:

I have to say I like the look of the HTC standalone headset. The problem is it will probably just use the same crappy tracking as the HTC Cosmos. That is, unless HTC care to finish what they started and the HTC Cosmos tracking improves. 
    How these companies get away with selling such crap that doesn't work out of the box is beyond me. The only 3 things that these VR companies have to get right from the start is tracking, comfort, and lenses, which is not such a big ask really.
    A Rift S Pro would be the only thing I would consider buying right now if it were available. The Rift S is not a big enough upgrade to CV1 though IMHO.
    RedRizla said: hit
    kevinw729 said:

I have to say I like the look of the HTC standalone headset. The problem is it will probably just use the same crappy tracking as the HTC Cosmos. That is, unless HTC care to finish what they started and the HTC Cosmos tracking improves. 
    How these companies get away with selling such crap that doesn't work out of the box is beyond me. The only 3 things that these VR companies have to get right from the start is tracking, comfort, and lenses, which is not such a big ask really.
    A Rift S Pro would be the only thing I would consider buying right now if it were available. The Rift S is not a big enough upgrade to CV1 though IMHO.
    Call me crazy but the cosmos  problem may be a hardware issue. That would mean it will never be fixed.
    inovator said:
    kevinw729 said:

Call me crazy but the cosmos  problem may be a hardware issue. That would mean it will never be fixed.

No point speculating what the problem might be with HTC Cosmos tracking, but without question it is something that needs fixing. Customers should be entitled to a refund if they are not going to improve upon the tracking and make it work like it's supposed to work.
    RedRizla said: ju
    inovator said:
    kevinw729 said:

No point speculating what the problem might be with HTC Cosmos tracking, but without question it is something that needs fixing. Customers should be entitled to a refund if they are not going to improve upon the tracking and make it work like it's supposed to work.
    My belief is strong that its hardware. A recent update didn't help it. There should be a recall but companies usually dont do the right thing. If I charged one on a credit card I would ask the credit companies fraud department to reimburse me.
    edited February 20
    inovator said:
    inovator said:
    kevinw729 said:

My belief is strong that its hardware. A recent update didn't help it. There should be a recall but companies usually dont do the right thing. If I charged one on a credit card I would ask the credit companies fraud department to reimburse me.

We all have strong beliefs but they are not right until proven to be correct. I thought the Rift S tracking was never going to be fixed, but in the end it got fixed. I hope HTC can fix their tracking because competition is a good thing. Customers shouldn't have to wait for things like tracking to be fixed in any VR headset though when they purchase them.
    RedRizla said:
    inovator said:
    inovator said:
    kevinw729 said:

We all have strong beliefs but they are not right until proven to be correct. I thought the Rift S tracking was never going to be fixed, but in the end it got fixed.
    There is no comparison. I was one of the 1st ones that got the rift s and it was very usable. Other than aiming down the sites the tracking worked great with pavlov for example and all of my games i tried. In comparison months later the cosmos is still a hot mess. 
    Pretty hard to believe anyone that only critic's headsets they have not owned, or at least tried imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

Anyone that reads recent reviews can be a critic based on the reviews. There are members who own the cosmos that are still waiting for the tracking to be fixed with what is probably a hardware problem.
    inovator said:
    Anyone that reads recent reviews can be a critic based on the reviews. There are members who own the cosmos that are still waiting for the tracking to be fixed with what is probably a hardware problem.
    Ya, I guess anyone can do that, lol!

It saved me from buying the cosmos. Lol
    If you are silly enough to believe every negative review you would not buy anything imho.

Says the person who bought the cosmos.
    inovator said:
    Says the person who bought the cosmos.
    Says the person who bought one and can actually report that it's a pretty good VR headset.  Its tracking is slowly improving but it's  probably going to take the ~$200 SteamVR faceplate (together with my current Vive Pro 2.0 base stations/controllers) to make it my favorite Wireless VR headset.  Time will tell, but at least I will actually know.

Lol