cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S stuck in software restart required loop

Wilky926
Explorer
Hi all.  I bought an Oculus Rift S to replace my original Rift yesterday, set it up and played with it all day with no issues.  However today it just will not work at all!  The Oculus home keeps telling me that it requires a software restart but every time I do this it just reboots and tells me it needs to restart again.  Also windows flashes up saying the headset is not detected every time I turn my pc on now and the setup for the headset gets stuck on the sensor setup part.
I have updated all drivers and downloaded the latest Oculus software and ran the repair and nothing has worked so far.  
A google search is revealing that this has been an issue since July!  but I cant find a definitive answer as to how to fix this.
Any help is appreciated because im 2 seconds away from sending this back and getting a HTC Vive lol.
217 REPLIES 217

TristeCiel
Honored Guest

alb1221 said:

the update fixed the issue for me entirely on my devices, it fixed everything it seems

I was really hoping that this would work. I downloaded the last beta update, restarted my computer but it doesn't work. I still have to unplug and plug back the USB cable for the Rift S to work... 😞

neilwatts86
Explorer

I SOVED THE RESTART LOOP PROBLEM. I just went back to the store and got a replacement device, the new one worked perfectly the moment I plugged it in. 😕

I'm returning mine to amazon as faulty and waiting for a replacement but it'll be a while as there are currently none in stock. I've got to the point i would have to re-plug in the rift tens of time before it would work. Latest beta update has made no difference.

Oculus claimed replacing the hardware wouldn't work so it'll be interesting to see if this does resolve the problem. I'll update either way when i get the replacement.

Boulder_Mark
Explorer
I’m still experiencing this problem. Constant battle of disconnecting and reconnecting the cables to get it recognised by the app. 

Now since the last update, to make it worse, I have to setup the Guardian again, EVERYTIME. 

This software is a load of £&&£!!

Have contacting support again asking if they are any closer to sorting. 

I am going to go down the same route as well. Replacement headset and if still have the same problems, full refund and I’ll get a different headset. 

BraverThought
Protege
Still having this issue, and i just installed the Inateck usb card that oculus recommends,  My device manager now has that yellow triangle, i have tried to do the uninstall driver/replug the usb method with no luck.  The other thing is i am still only having the 1 usb device pop up, its still missing the driver for the cameras. driver 2051.  not in registry or anything. so oculus thats where the issue is, why wont the 2051 driver install. 

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Have you connected the power supply to it ? How about try another slot, some setting in BIOS ?.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

BraverThought
Protege

Umpa_PC said:

Have you connected the power supply to it ? How about try another slot, some setting in BIOS ?.

Didnt get to troubleshooting long, so need to see if power is fully connected as the plug was shift. But it did come up as rift s. If I plug into the mobo 3.1 usb I dont get the triangle,  but still only 1 usb shows up.

FL-Simulators
Explorer

alb1221 said:

the update fixed the issue for me entirely on my devices, it fixed everything it seems

Tried the Public channel update and I was hopeful because it installed new drivers and told me that I needed to restart the computer for the Oculus headset to operate correctly... but it did not solve it unfortunately 😞

Boulder_Mark
Explorer

Atdab said:

Hi guys, i just wanted to put an update here...as i have been facing the same issue with the "Restart Required Loop" for about a week and tried a bunch of things downgrading the firmware etc, and nothing worked. But now i have resolved the issue, with a solid green all the time even restarting etc, still solid for the past few days. 

Its seems that the USB doesn't have enough power to keep the oculus active. you will notice that when it works, in device manager, you will have two usb rift hub and when it doesn't there will be only one. 

So i went and bought a USB 3.0 powered Hub. meaning one that has external power adapter connected to it. and i plugged the usb from the oculus to that. since then NO ISSUES at all. It s been solid everytime. 

So for those facing that issue give that a try and let me know if that works for you. 

Oh just so you know i am not running the oculus with the latest updates 2.2 and also i did a clean install too . 

Great so the solution is at our own expense. The product should work out of the box. This has been a big issue since it was released and Oculus have been quoted to say they are looking into it as a priority! Several months later still no solution and 15-20 minutes of messing around with the headset to get it recognised before I can even use it, every time, has finally pissed off too much. 

It’s poor. I purchased mine through Amazon UK. I got on to their product support (because Oculus support seem to not be addressing it) and as soon as I mentioned the problem they immediately offered to refund or replace the item. Seems they are well aware of the problem!!! So I have asked for a replacement, although have to wait a couple weeks for new stock. If a new one doesn’t solve it for me, I’ll return that one for a refund. 

Atdab
Honored Guest
"Oh just so you know i am not running the oculus with the latest updates 2.2 and also i did a clean install too . "

Typing mistake. I meant i am using the Latest versions

HyperPT
Honored Guest
Having same issue, will try the usb-c adapter thingy, hope it works.

Kinda tired of having to setup everyfreakingtime i restart my pc -_-