New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Boneworks now available in the Oculus Store!

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,913 Valuable Player
edited February 20 in Games and Apps

Get it here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2385436581584047

I don't understand the recommended GTX 1080 in the Oculus Store. Now with ASW 2.0, and with no support for 120+ Hz, I'd be surprised if GTX 970 wouldn't deliver an awesome Rift(-S) experience. I'm getting 90 fps using Index res 200% and 2xMSAA, Boneworks does not need a fast video card - at least not for the first 6 or 7 levels which I've completed. 
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,913 Valuable Player
    edited February 20
    More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/stress-level-zero-brings-boneworks-to-the-rift-platform/

Btw, to my knowledge the Steam version does not support native Oculus drivers - so you'll need the Oculus version for asw 2.0 and optimal performance on Oculus hmds.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,045 Valuable Player

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,275 Volunteer Moderator
    I hope they'll make the Oculus SDK support available on the Steam version. I'd like to have the improved performance, but I'm not buying it again.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    edited February 20
    nalex66 said:
    I hope they'll make the Oculus SDK support available on the Steam version. I'd like to have the improved performance, but I'm not buying it again.
    I'd just like to try the game using CV1 without having to disconnect the Index. When Steam games support native Oculus drivers, then the game works from Oculus Home without starting SteamVR, or will work with the Index if I start SteamVR. 
    Also I don't let the kids use the Index, so they can't try Boneworks before I get native Oculus support. A few have already asked the devs for native Oculus support on Steam, let's keep our fingers crossed...

New Oculus teaser trailer:

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,162 Volunteer Moderator
    I grabbed Boneworks from the oculus store last night (I haven't played the steam version).
    I've played it so far up to the point where combat starts. (That's a LONG tutorial)

Hmm. It reminds me of the old Dreamworks game Trespasser. The physics are so glitchy, but you can see what they were trying to achieve.

But the whole time (starting from when I first tried moving) I had the thought "Saints & Sinners did this better". Everything they have in common is far more polished in S&S. Climbing, throwing, inventory, weapons, etc.

The big thing throwing me off is how some things need to be picked up with index and hand triggers at the same time, and others don't. I spent a while stuck on that first picking up the mug part because I never thought I'd need both triggers to force grab objects. Sure, in real life you'd use all your fingers, but Oculus users have had over 3 years of hand trigger to grab and index to use. Then there's all the objects in the world you can pick up but can't force grab.

I'm interested to see what lies ahead, but it feels like the game is fighting to stop me.
    kojack said:
    I grabbed Boneworks from the oculus store last night (I haven't played the steam version).
    I've played it so far up to the point where combat starts. (That's a LONG tutorial)

Hmm. It reminds me of the old Dreamworks game Trespasser. The physics are so glitchy, but you can see what they were trying to achieve.

But the whole time (starting from when I first tried moving) I had the thought "Saints & Sinners did this better". Everything they have in common is far more polished in S&S. Climbing, throwing, inventory, weapons, etc.

The big thing throwing me off is how some things need to be picked up with index and hand triggers at the same time, and others don't. I spent a while stuck on that first picking up the mug part because I never thought I'd need both triggers to force grab objects. Sure, in real life you'd use all your fingers, but Oculus users have had over 3 years of hand trigger to grab and index to use. Then there's all the objects in the world you can pick up but can't force grab.

I'm interested to see what lies ahead, but it feels like the game is fighting to stop me.
    Until you hit the sewers some of the levels may be awesome or close. How about the textures, do you think - like your hands or maybe when holding a teddy bear - that textures are different from S&S?

I did not like the sewers - felt boring. And - btw - I experienced my first moment of what I'm starting to call "lcd blindness". That is, in one area lighting was so low I could not see anything with the Index - everything was just gray - and I'm fully convinced this problem would not be there with oled. I was attacked by some jumping crabs and several blue and yellow zombies, and in the heat of the battle I accidentally dropped both the flashlight gun and a rifle - but I finished all opponents with my trusty hammer  o:) Problem was finding my guns again - because due to "lcd blindness" I could not see them on the ground. After some minutes I did manage to locate the flashlight gun - and that helped immensely on locating my automatic rifle.
    I know the devs used Vive Pros to make the game before Index, I'm convinced sewers is a leftover from the Vive Pro days, lol. 

Oldtimers may notice that after the recent patch you can now save the game not just halfway through a level, but several times - maybe like in 3 or 4 places.

• kobs57kobs57 Posts: 179
    Art3mis
     in one area lighting was so low I could not see anything .

You need those night vision goggles in that area, there's another hidden place where they grow melons, unless you have the goggles you can't see sh**.
    It's a game that forces you to adapt to the specific situation and that's what makes it fun, when you think there's no way in hell to do this, actually there's dozens of ways you just have to find them. I have over 200 hours of game play in boneworks and I still can't wait to get back in, there's always something new to try and with the devs adding stuff all the time (and they're not making you pay for it) it's always a quest to find the new stuff, do the levels all over again and check every corner. they recently added a new sandbox place called blank box where you can rez a lot more ennemies it's for high performance brawls or what ever you feel like doing   Best game I ever played in fact the only game I've played more than the original Unreal Tournament back in the days
    VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 
    32 gigs of Corsair Vengence RGB memory,
     MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-450 Gaming plus motherboard,
    EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
    Oculus is on a Samsung 970 evo M.2 V nand 1TB on board SSD   
  • gman713gman713 Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Has anyone tried this with the Oculus Quest with Link on Steam VR?  Does this Oculus version run as janky and stuttery as it did in Steam VR?
    edited February 23
    I've kind of gotten used to the button mapping, but I still don't like it.
    To take a gun out of a weapon slot you have to hold the index trigger. The hand trigger doesn't make a difference. But you can't use a gun that way, since index trigger is also fire.
    The hand trigger on its own can pick up a gun (but not force pull a gun), hold a gun and put a gun in a weapon slot, but can't take it back out. Did the devs come from Bethesda?

I had a tiny bit of stuttering in the gift shop. But nothing since then. I'm on a 2080TI / Threadripper with CV1. I might try my Rift-S next time.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,275 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 23
    Huh, I haven’t played it in a while, but I don’t remember those weird trigger/grip button issues in the SteamVR version. I played on my Rift CV1 and Quest over Link, and the control mapping seemed like any other game. I’ll go back and try it again today if I have time. 

gman713 said:
    Has anyone tried this with the Oculus Quest with Link on Steam VR?  Does this Oculus version run as janky and stuttery as it did in Steam VR?
    I don’t have the Oculus store version, but I didn’t have any trouble with the StesmVR version over Link. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Controls are quite good with Knuckles, then again I believe this game was primarily designed for Knuckles. 
    I only have problems with controls when I panic and accidentally drop my weapons :blush: Or when I panic and have to reload simultaneously :blush:

When I'm calm, controls are close to perfect - note I'm not talking about physics, but controls, lol. 

Art3mis
    edited February 23
    Hahaha, I've been perma banned from Boneworks forum for expressing my point of view on the fact that the devs were lying to everyone in Steam forums when they were telling us they were spending all of their time on fixing bugs and mid game save points (we at steam told them to add those) when in fact they were working on the Oculus level (tuscany)  and boom! Mr Cfish (one of the devs) sent me waltzing for ever. How professional of him. Oh and all of my posts are gone, all of them the good and the bad. It's so easy on the internet to get rid of the truth
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,573 Volunteer Moderator
    I wouldn't last long on a moderated forum.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
    nalex66 said:
    Huh, I haven’t played it in a while, but I don’t remember those weird trigger/grip button issues in the SteamVR version. I played on my Rift CV1 and Quest over Link, and the control mapping seemed like any other game. I’ll go back and try it again today if I have time.

Sounds like the default steam mapping to the rift is better than the game's native rift mapping.
    I've run into it again with the flashlight. The flashlight turns on and off with the index trigger. But to grab it from a weapon slot needs index trigger too, which toggles it's on/off state. If its on while on my upper weapon slot and I want to use it manually, it turns off when I grab it.

Art3mis
    edited February 23
    Well you seemed to have found a solution LOL   Volunteer Moderator

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,220 Valuable Player
    kobs57 said:
    Well you seemed to have found a solution LOL   Volunteer Moderator

Oculus is a moderated forum?
    ;)
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    I just finished the sewers.
    I tried putting on the Rift-S. As expected, the tracking rings got in the way a lot. I had trouble putting on the night vision goggles and reloading pistols. It did look much nicer in the main menu scene though. The Rift-S looks nice in bright areas.

I lasted about 2min then quit and swapped to the CV1.

It's a bit annoying that head position tracking disables during slow mo. Watching an energy blast coming right at my head but I can't dodge. :(  I can still move a bit using the thumbstick if I use my other hand to move it (or my chin). I'd understand disabling walking so you can't use it for a whole level, but leave head tracking alone.

The physics are still glitchy as all hell, but I'm having fun.

I'll buy this but really need to be sure either the Steam or Oculus version has decent Touch support... I'm not confident right now from the comments and I'm not good at getting used to awkward mapping, especially if swapping between games with significantly different setups. If this is going to be a thing for any Knuckles games, devs need to deal with it. What's Vive wand support like?
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
    kojack said:
    I just finished the sewers.
    I tried putting on the Rift-S. As expected, the tracking rings got in the way a lot. I had trouble putting on the night vision goggles and reloading pistols. It did look much nicer in the main menu scene though. The Rift-S looks nice in bright areas.

I lasted about 2min then quit and swapped to the CV1.

It's a bit annoying that head position tracking disables during slow mo. Watching an energy blast coming right at my head but I can't dodge. :(  I can still move a bit using the thumbstick if I use my other hand to move it (or my chin). I'd understand disabling walking so you can't use it for a whole level, but leave head tracking alone.

The physics are still glitchy as all hell, but I'm having fun.

How was brightness oled vs. lcd in the sewers? I didn't find the night vision goggles, might have to redo the level... someday o:)

I'll buy this but really need to be sure either the Steam or Oculus version has decent Touch support... I'm not confident right now from the comments and I'm not good at getting used to awkward mapping, especially if swapping between games with significantly different setups. If this is going to be a thing for any Knuckles games, devs need to deal with it. What's Vive wand support like?

Googling around, it appears the Steam version does have the same input issues. I've found people complaining back in december about the need for index and hand triggers at the same time.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,315 Valuable Player
    So I love S&S game mechanics but Bone works is a different animal.

S&S does a good job at fooling you into believing you are a zombie killing bad ass but a lot of the melee attacks are actually clever auto aiming. 

Bone works tries to replicate some form of consistent game physics and so adding any kind of auto aim would be breaking its ethos. Same with the body mechanics with climbing.

Art3mis
    edited February 24
    I've been on Steam forums since I bought the game there, and peoples with vive wands were complaining  l can't remember all what they were complaining about but there were problems.

Quote: " I didn't find the night vision goggles"
    If the oculus version is like the steam one there's a pair in sewer when you jump down from that flimsy bridge down into that cave like area with a bright spotlight on the gun container, behind some crates, there's a couch the goggles are on there. There's another pair in the large room  full of headcrabs in sewer it's in the gun container
    So I love S&S game mechanics but Bone works is a different animal.

S&S does a good job at fooling you into believing you are a zombie killing bad ass but a lot of the melee attacks are actually clever auto aiming. 

Bone works tries to replicate some form of consistent game physics and so adding any kind of auto aim would be breaking its ethos. Same with the body mechanics with climbing.

I think I'll go with an S&S purchase for now then, am hearing lots of good reviews, will come back to Boneworks later, after a couple patches maybe.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,315 Valuable Player
    edited February 24
    Oh yeah S&S is amazing. I think I would choose S&S over Bone-works but I love Bone-works as well for different reasons.  Not really comparable games.
    Art3mis
    I know I'm waiting for Alyx on Steam (sadly it will probably never  be on oculus ) looks a lot like the same scenario with headcrabs and stuff
    edited February 24
    Oh yeah S&S is amazing. I think I would choose S&S over Bone-works but I love Bone-works as well for different reasons.  Not really comparable games.

S&S is more a horror game, while I would not really consider Boneworks for being VR horror -  persons who have a very hard time dealing with VR horror (=easily get scared) might consider Boneworks instead of S&S.

Also users of high-res (Gen2) hmds will find that textures in Boneworks are close to photorealistic, while S&S has many low-res textures and a cartoonish style when it comes to graphics (inspired by the Walking Dead comic books, not the TV show).

If you have a lcd hmd, Boneworks is awesome - but black levels in S&S are really bad, so that's another thing to consider. It easily gets --- complicated ;)

But no reason to choose - get both :D 

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,045 Valuable Player
    Are they adding the Tuscany level to the Steam version or is that Oculus exclusive?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Art3mis
    edited February 24
    I've been perma banned on that discussion, I  I told the dev. I thought it was totally low blow that they were giving oculus the exclusivity since we at Valve/steam helped beta testing the game, you should see all we suggested for that game including mid save points that weren't there to start with but yeah facebook/oculus paid them dearly to get the exclusivity and it's not going to be on the  valve/steam version for a while at least from what I heard.

Edit: other things like finding keys in tower level some are part of things like fountains and were very hard to find so they kinda made graffiti arrows and signs on the floor and made a lot of things easier to find on our suggestions.
    But my last sentence was "hey, it's not like you owe any of us anything, you're in it for the money right?"
    To tell you the truth I would've banned myself faster than it happened LOL
    Are they adding the Tuscany level to the Steam version or is that Oculus exclusive?

Yes, it will be part of the next big patch arriving on Steam in March.