New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

v14 PTC PC Software Release Notes

Comments

• guenter.huber22guenter.huber22 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    @SectionOne
    Seems you got the issue where you must rename the Oculus Virtual Audio Device to "Headphones" in Windows Sound control panel. See:
    www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/f0ni0m/oculus_link_fix_for_those_of_you_who_has_kicked/
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,433 Volunteer Moderator
    I've installed the Oculus v14 and now i get a message on my PC:
    "A Quest software update is available for Oculus Link (Beta). ..."

My Quest is on v13 and shows no updates...
    That message is there for everyone, you can ignore it. There is no update for Quest beyond v13, but it should still work. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • UN-SectionOneUN-SectionOne Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Well, it worked for a while.
    Then when I restarted my computer and my quest it stopped working and I had to opt-out of the PTC. Otherwise clicking "Enable Link" would just keep showing the Quest Home.
  • C4mr0nC4mr0n Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited February 14
    Does anyone else have this bug where the PC tells you to update the quest, but no update is available? If I try to go on link, it shows the three dots, and kicks me back to the menu. I'm at V13 on the quest and it stopped working after I updated it.
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    Everyone with problems should try the below method to install the 1.43 driver at least just to confirm that your problem is the tainted Oculus drivers.  There is no risk in trying this. If it doesn't work then you just let the Oculus software download the latest driver again and you are back where you were. If it does work let Oculus know about it. They should go back to this version and rebuild everything to get to the current build... but test it as they go to see when it breaks. Right now they are searching for a needle in a haystack while we all go cross eyed watching our screens stutter and looking like idiots unplugging/replugging our USB cables a thousand times.

Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • guenter.huber22guenter.huber22 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    C4mr0n said:
    Does anyone else have this bug where the PC tells you to update the quest, but no update is available?...
    If you´d just bother to scroll 3 posts up, there is the solution (reddit) repeated again.
  • morphee7morphee7 Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    now i can understand having to reset the guardian everytime you put on the quest  with it being a standalone but the rift s?
    it everytime i turn my pc back on and put the heasdset on, but now i get the squared background and the 3 loading dots before hand, infact yesterday i took the headset off put it down came back 10 mins later and i had to do it again while i was still ingame.
    Guys just stop releasing patches and updates to a flawed/broken software and concentrate on building from the ground up instead of 20 different people working on different parts of the code in probably different buildings or even countries
  • RomeoAlphaRomeoAlpha Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Everyone with problems should try the below method to install the 1.43 driver at least just to confirm that your problem is the tainted Oculus drivers.  There is no risk in trying this. If it doesn't work then you just let the Oculus software download the latest driver again and you are back where you were. If it does work let Oculus know about it. They should go back to this version and rebuild everything to get to the current build... but test it as they go to see when it breaks. Right now they are searching for a needle in a haystack while we all go cross eyed watching our screens stutter and looking like idiots unplugging/replugging our USB cables a thousand times.

I'll give this a go over my next weekend and will report back. I've been dealing with constant head tracking stutter for weeks now and I'm at my wits end. 
  • C4mr0nC4mr0n Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited February 15
    C4mr0n said:
    Does anyone else have this bug where the PC tells you to update the quest, but no update is available?...
    If you´d just bother to scroll 3 posts up, there is the solution (reddit) repeated again.
    I've already tried that method and it still kicks me back. It still says I need to update my quest.

Edit: never mind, I just had to restart my PC.Thanks!
  • bitziebitzie Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    edited February 15
    I was on v.14 with my Rift S, but started to notice some stuttering, not only when moving and looking around, but also when standing still in TWD S&S. Did the driver/firmware rollback (again) and stuttering is gone.
    Art3mis
    well i have just been ruinning ACC again and all of a sudden its lagging head tracking is jumping and i have changed nothing, the software is sooo unconsistant so how the hell are we ment to test therse PTC's when its not stable
  • RomeoAlphaRomeoAlpha Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited February 16

I'll give this a go over my next weekend and will report back. I've been dealing with constant head tracking stutter for weeks now and I'm at my wits end. 

Just to update. I tried the method to install the 2.1.1 firmware and had no luck. I'm still suffering from head tracking stutter. I even reinstalled Windows 10 this morning just to see if that did anything and of course it didn't. At least I have a fresh gaming rig now! 

So I either have a defective HMD or its the firmware. 

• SergeMeister1234SergeMeister1234 Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    morphee7 said:
    well i have just been ruinning ACC again and all of a sudden its lagging head tracking is jumping and i have changed nothing, the software is sooo unconsistant so how the hell are we ment to test therse PTC's when its not stable

I have been trying to get to the bottom of these issues with ACC since December when they started... 

I had it set to give me 80fps and 15% performance headroom sitting alone in the pits at spa. The same settings since December now give me 40 FPS and -40% performance headroom in the same test. The stuttery tracking is also killing me. Not being able to roll back to pre December updates makes it almost impossible to properly troubleshoot. 
    | AMD Ryzen 3800X CPU | Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti 11G  | RAM: 16GB | PSU: 850W | W10 x64 | Simucube2 Ultimate Wheel Base | Precision Sim Engineering GT3 Wheel | HRS Xero-Play Quick Release | Fanatec CSS Shifter V1.5 | Heusinkveld Ultimate Pedals | Rift S | Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro Headphones | Sim-Lab P1 Racing Cockpit | Sparco Evo Seat
  • GamingTC2GamingTC2 Posts: 38
    Brain Burst

On rift S, I have to redo my Gardian setup at each new session.
    is it just me?
    Problem is solved in this thread.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/731364#Comment_731364
  • loui100loui100 Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    With the new update every time I get an Oculus notification like a new achievement unlocked, the game slows down to 2-5 FPS until the notification is removed :(
    Art3mis
    GamingTC2 said:

is it just me?
    bit strange this when ive had my guardian disabled since a week after i got my rift s which was a week after release so how do you clear your guardian settings?
    Brain Burst
    morphee7 said:
    GamingTC2 said:

is it just me?
    bit strange this when ive had my guardian disabled since a week after i got my rift s which was a week after release so how do you clear your guardian settings?
    I did the setup, did a reset in oculus home, reseated usb plug and that solved the problem.
    Art3mis
    ok i uninstalled the oculus app and reinstalled which gave me that v13 thing and omg it bricked the rift s with the 3 dot loading screen and it literally froze the performance monitor so here i am again back on the PTC.anyway i digress

i did a race session on acc with a 60 minute race with 41 cars on track and ran the graphic setting on the lowest i could i also had frames locked at 40 with ASW enabled and the performance monitor running and through the whole race the headroom was fluxuating between 15% and 5% which i think shouldnt be the case when im using a ryzen 2700x and a 1080ti so there has to be something not quite right still reguarding the software and UE4

Brain Burst
    morphee7 said:
    ok i uninstalled the oculus app and reinstalled which gave me that v13 thing and omg it bricked the rift s with the 3 dot loading screen and it literally froze the performance monitor so here i am again back on the PTC.anyway i digress

i did a race session on acc with a 60 minute race with 41 cars on track and ran the graphic setting on the lowest i could i also had frames locked at 40 with ASW enabled and the performance monitor running and through the whole race the headroom was fluxuating between 15% and 5% which i think shouldnt be the case when im using a ryzen 2700x and a 1080ti so there has to be something not quite right still reguarding the software and UE4

Welcome to the UE4/ACC party...
    Since the disastrous December update my performance has dropped about 30-40% 

Mid settings with 120 in game super sampling struggles to hold 40fps, 3800X, 1080Ti.

Worst case is at night at the Nurburgring, T1 to T4, stutters at around 20fps
    | AMD Ryzen 3800X CPU | Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti 11G  | RAM: 16GB | PSU: 850W | W10 x64 | Simucube2 Ultimate Wheel Base | Precision Sim Engineering GT3 Wheel | HRS Xero-Play Quick Release | Fanatec CSS Shifter V1.5 | Heusinkveld Ultimate Pedals | Rift S | Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro Headphones | Sim-Lab P1 Racing Cockpit | Sparco Evo Seat
  • Hinerakatauri1979Hinerakatauri1979 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I've noticed that since version 14 the tracking of the controllers is worse when my hands are up...  Notice this especially during beat saber but also other games... version 13 was spot on, but 14 is erratic.  Anyone noticed this also? 
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,609 Valuable Player
    I've noticed that since version 14 the tracking of the controllers is worse when my hands are up...  Notice this especially during beat saber but also other games... version 13 was spot on, but 14 is erratic.  Anyone noticed this also? 

Please people, state whether you are using Rift or Rift S. They both use entirely different tracking.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

Brain Burst
    edited February 18
    I noticed the erratic behaviour of tracking also in v14.  Tracking jumps a round (slightly).  But v13.1 also has it. v13.0 not.
    I have a Rift S.
  • Hinerakatauri1979Hinerakatauri1979 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Sorry I I have a rift s. Is there a way to see if all sensors are working correctly?
    Brain Burst
    Sorry I I have a rift s. Is there a way to see if all sensors are working correctly?
    That would actually help in troubleshooting issues... so no...
  • StreamofConsciousStreamofConscious Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    edited February 19
    I've definitely noticed some tracking glitches on the Rift S that I never saw before the update to 14. It makes me wonder if Oculus has a handle on their product to see such changes from update to update. I guess what I am saying is that it's starting to seem like a hit or miss, give it shot, see what happens kind of thing as opposed to a concerted fix something and move on to the next issue kind of thing.
  • StreamofConsciousStreamofConscious Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    loui100 said:
    With the new update every time I get an Oculus notification like a new achievement unlocked, the game slows down to 2-5 FPS until the notification is removed :(
    Another bingo. I've seen this as well. I think its called sloppy programming. I really wish there was a way to use the Rift S on Steam without any Oculus software or firmware.
    Art3mis
    well ive had another update today and crossed my fingers and prayed, so i start acc put on the headset and forgot the audio was set to speakers so swaped it back to rift s and BAM!!! it nearly burst my eardrums somehow the update had put my volume up from 33 to 58, so onto acc after turning the rift s back down and the stuttering and head tracking seems jumpy still so they havent fixed that with this headset, i will do a performance test later with the monitor
  • loui100loui100 Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    edited February 20
    morphee7 said:
    well ive had another update today and crossed my fingers and prayed, so i start acc put on the headset and forgot the audio was set to speakers so swaped it back to rift s and BAM!!! it nearly burst my eardrums somehow the update had put my volume up from 33 to 58, so onto acc after turning the rift s back down and the stuttering and head tracking seems jumpy still so they havent fixed that with this headset, i will do a performance test later with the monitor
    I can confirm it didn't fix the slowdown when displaying notifications either. I'm also getting random exits from Asgard's Wrath to the Dash menu (the game doesn't quit, just acts as if I had pressed the Oculus button, but I didn't). It's super super annoying...
    Art3mis
    ok this is now getting beyond a joke now i have just tried to test acc with the performance monitor up with all settings at there lowest i have fps locked at 40 with ASW there was 6 cars in the server SIX CARS and the monitor shows near enough zero headroom, and thats not the worse thing i look straight centre my view and it maskes me feel like im sat at the wheel looking to the left slightly so congratulations on making my rift s unusable for what i bought it for again

Art3mis
    and now i have been informed that my voice sounds metalic and robot like again on and off so you have brought that issue back