New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

New HTC Range - The Thread

2»

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,854 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    Lol
    Probably all you will ever know mate.  Very sad for you.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    Lol
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,913 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    it's  probably going to take the ~$200 SteamVR faceplate (together with my current Vive Pro 2.0 base stations/controllers) to make it my favorite Wireless VR headset.  Time will tell, but at least I will actually know.
    Agreed, maybe even combined with Index controllers you'd have a VR solution close to the Index. 

Btw, HTC supports VR adoption, I do not think the world would be a better place without HTC and I appreciate their effort trying to make great hmds. Not all companies have a Carmack and Abrash etc. to help them, and of course there will be differences. That said, HTC does deserve credit for delivering (part of) what some may consider the best current high-end VR solution for gaming, namely Vive Pro (Gen2 high-res oled) with base stations 2.0 and Index controllers. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,148 Valuable Player
    edited February 21
    TomCgcmfc said:
    If you are silly enough to believe every negative review you would not buy anything imho.
    It's a fair point but even you are not arguing that the tracking as as good as a rift S.
    For me the rift S is the absolute base level for what I want for controller tracking (and even then I would miss the superior tracking of outside in lighthouse or constellation).
    The fact that even you are saying it really needs the light house module means that people concluding tracking is sub par are probably not wrong......
    Yes personal experience is gonna trump 3rd person reviews.
    Look at it this way.... People could tell you along with 100s  of  reviews  TVRs are fantastic cars but godawful reliability.   

You could of course discount them all and buy one yourself expecting the reliability of a family hatchback..

But you WILL be in for a shock. Impartial reviews usually are more accurate than not.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,382 Valuable Player
    But not at a decent price. Again. They just don't seem to learn any lessons at all from previous mistakes. And these mistakes have been repeated continuously for the last 15 years or so.

If you're going to pay $900 for a Cosmos with Vive wands and 1.0 base stations you might as well pay an extra $100 and get a Valve Index headset with 2.0 base stations and Knuckles controllers.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,148 Valuable Player
    edited February 21
    snowdog said:
    But not at a decent price. Again. They just don't seem to learn any lessons at all from previous mistakes. And these mistakes have been repeated continuously for the last 15 years or so.

If you're going to pay $900 for a Cosmos with Vive wands and 1.0 base stations you might as well pay an extra $100 and get a Valve Index headset with 2.0 base stations and Knuckles controllers.
    Agreed. Unless you absolutely must have OLED (in which case there is maybe an argument for a Vive pro bundle) if you are wanting to pay in the region of 1K for a headset it's hard to look beyond the index.... Maybe pimax 8KX but given past issues with their headsets that would have to be a try before I buy at that price.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    TomCgcmfc said:
    If you are silly enough to believe every negative review you would not buy anything imho.
    It's a fair point but even you are not arguing that the tracking as as good as a rift S.
    For me the rift S is the absolute base level for what I want for controller tracking (and even then I would miss the superior tracking of outside in lighthouse or constellation).
    The fact that even you are saying it really needs the light house module means that people concluding tracking is sub par are probably not wrong......
    Look at it this way.... People could tell you along with 100s  of  reviews  TVRs are fantastic cars but godawful reliability.   

You could of course discount them all and buy one yourself expecting the reliability of a family hatchback..

But you WILL be in for a shock. Impartial reviews usually are more accurate than not.
    Someone here that bought a cosmos says it's making tracking progress. Not true. Here's a feb. Review after latest cosmos update;
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,058 Valuable Player

HTC new CEO confirms company’s ‘new vision,’ virtual reality, and the rivalry with Facebook

> "Our approach from a hardware perspective is more of a segmented approach, where we try to understand what the experience should be, and what our customers want. Mostly B2B enterprise. They are very, very precise. We started with a very accurate precision type of product, and we go down in terms of the precision to a normal user."

https://fortune.com/2020/…/20/htc-ceo-yves-maitre-cosmos-vr/

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    kevinw729 said:

HTC new CEO confirms company’s ‘new vision,’ virtual reality, and the rivalry with Facebook

> "Our approach from a hardware perspective is more of a segmented approach, where we try to understand what the experience should be, and what our customers want. Mostly B2B enterprise. They are very, very precise. We started with a very accurate precision type of product, and we go down in terms of the precision to a normal user."

https://fortune.com/2020/…/20/htc-ceo-yves-maitre-cosmos-vr/

That CEO is insane. He talks about they started with an accurate precision product. They then ended with a hot mess (cosmos)  he has alot of nerve talking about how wonderful they are when they released a fraud of a product. 
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,854 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

Someone here that bought a cosmos says it's making tracking progress. Not true. Here's a feb. Review after latest cosmos update;
    Thanks, that's a great example of the kind of misinformation out there.  Unless you actually have the headset and participate in its forum, you may be easily mislead.

MRTV reviews are often a bit hit and miss anyway imho.  In this case he says he is using the latest software 1.0.10.4 but fails to mention that this is Beta.  Unfortunately this Beta issued late Jan/2020 is much worse than the current Public software version 1.0.9.6 issued early Jan/2020.  This is already a well know fact for actual Cosmos users so unless MRTV has a hidden agenda he should have been reviewing this with the latest Public software imho.

The current Public version 1.0.9.6 is actually pretty good but still not up to Rift S standards.  I'm still hopeful that future software updates will fix this because I like the Cosmos controllers much more than my Vive wands (which I would be forced to use with a Cosmos SteamVR faceplate mod and Index controllers are still not available in Australia).

About the only thing more useless than many so-called impartial reviews are impartial reviews of impartial reviews by people that do not actually have the headset imho.  Of course, you believe whatever you want mate.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

TomCgcmfc said:
    inovator said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

Thanks, that's a great example of the kind of misinformation out there.  Unless you actually have the headset and participate in its forum, you may be easily mislead.

MRTV reviews are often a bit hit and miss anyway imho.  In this case he says he is using the latest software 1.0.10.4 but fails to mention that this is Beta.  Unfortunately this Beta issued late Jan/2020 is much worse than the current Public software version 1.0.9.6 issued early Jan/2020.  This is already a well know fact for actual Cosmos users so unless MRTV has a hidden agenda he should have been reviewing this with the latest Public software imho.

The current Public version 1.0.9.6 is actually pretty good but still not up to Rift S standards.  I'm still hopeful that future software updates will fix this because I like the Cosmos controllers much more than my Vive wands (which I would be forced to use with a Cosmos SteamVR faceplate mod and Index controllers are still not available in Australia).

About the only thing more useless than many so-called impartial reviews are impartial reviews of impartial reviews by people that do not actually have the headset imho.  Of course, you believe whatever you want mate.

We have different opinions and I truly hope they fix it for you. If down the road they dont I would try to get a refund through your credit card company and complain htc committed fraud.