New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

v14 PTC PC Software Release Notes

1235»

Comments

• ehacker.teaehacker.tea Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Does Oculus Rift have Extension Cable? 10feet or longer.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,172
    Wintermute
    Mine still works well, even on the laptop...
    Different strokes, I guess...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • morphee7morphee7 Posts: 112
    Art3mis
    edited February 21
    ok oculus you call yourself a serious company and then i find this in the apps and features? you really are a joke of a company wpeople are frustrated at your product and do endless reports/logs/feedback and it just feels like you are treating peole who feed you this info as nothing, im sick of hearing the "it could be old drivers" or "its could be so and so app" its about time you lot bucked your ideas up and stop treating people like financial support and give them what they paid for,

this is really sickening now when the only way you can do something you love is by VR now through a visual impairment and you spend £400 for a rift s aswell is just a kick in the genitalia

• GlobespyGlobespy Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    edited February 21
    Morphee7 - I agree with you, but the more frustrated you get, it's all on you as ranting on a forum won't do anything other than raise your own blood pressure.
    I do think the guys trying to keep everything together at Oculus do actually care since it's their livelihood on the line if the product fails.
    I'm guessing they are working with limited resources given the billions invested in VR that has yet to pay off, but at least they are still investing and hopefully things will come to fruition in the near future.

I was lucky enough to keep my Rift S on FW 2.1.1 and block the Oculus app/services from gaining access to the internet (firewall rules), so other than the occasional nag to 'restart my Oculus' for some supposed update (which of course cannot complete without access to the internet), things work fine.
    With the recent push to having Facebook tightly integrated, I won't ever remove my firewall rules unless there's an update that brings all the cool stuff like hand tracking that only seems to be available on the Quest.
    I don't need the Oculus store and if they want to strong arm people into adopting Facebook (which I don't use), then I will purchase VR titles from other places and the Oculus Home/Dash will remain simply a necessary function to use the HMD.
    Shame the SDE on the quest is so bad, and the refresh rate is just too low - I've purchased and returned as the resolution is in no way even close to the sharp clarity of the Rift S's striped display vs the Quest pentile panels that have exactly the same problems as the original CV1 in terms of SDE. 
    It's also why the Rift S doesn't really need or benefit from Super Sampling, which is necessary on the CV1/Quest.

As for ACC, that game is an absolute train wreck, even at the now widely adopted 40FPS ASW locked state of affairs.
    It's never going to be good for VR, as it's very foundations are built on technology that never had VR as a main feature in mind.
    By the time there's an UE4 engine update, I would imagine Kunos will have washed their hands of that title and certainly won't be investing the man hours to update, even if it's something that's possible.
    The original AC is far better for VR, even if the graphics in ACC do look so very very nice.

Hang in there bud.
    Art3mis
    @Globespy im sorry but when acc brought a patch out the rift s worked amazing with it then oculus brought out the v13 and distroyed all that and since then its never gone back to that, i put another ticket in since i thought it might help with the screenshoot i posted earlier of acc and the monitor plus log file with an explanation that it was acc ehat GPU and CPU  i had and i get this :

Thanks for contacting Oculus support. I will do my best to help with the graphics trouble you are experiencing.

Thanks for the logs and the photo. I do have a couple of questions. Is this software the Iracing application? Do you see any issues with other games at all? Have we tested any Oculus games?

I understand that many of our customers use the headset for Iracing. I am not suggesting that you not run this, I am seriously trying to narrow down where the issue might be. Typically, when we see a lag issue, it is a driver or software issue. Have you had the opportunity to update the drivers on the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti? We could also update the USB drivers as well. I notice that this is an Asus ROG. There might be more specific drivers for USB on their page.

We can also turn on the Public Test Channel. This will allow you to install updates before they become available to the general public. To do this, open the Oculus app. On the left side, select "settings". Then choose the "Beta" tab. On this page, turn on the Public Test Channel.

Allow any updates to install and see if the issue has been resolved.

I will watch for your reply.

Kind regards.

Randy
    Oculus Support

now i am scared to reply to this response but with past history with support like this i know why people dont bother putting tickets in when they question users and dont read the ticket properly and surely the log says im already on the PTC

• SergeMeister1234SergeMeister1234 Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    As for ACC, that game is an absolute train wreck, even at the now widely adopted 40FPS ASW locked state of affairs.
    It's never going to be good for VR, as it's very foundations are built on technology that never had VR as a main feature in mind.
    By the time there's an UE4 engine update, I would imagine Kunos will have washed their hands of that title and certainly won't be investing the man hours to update, even if it's something that's possible.
    The original AC is far better for VR, even if the graphics in ACC do look so very very nice.

Hang in there bud.

Clearly you haven’t touched ACC in a long time nor know anything about how Kunos work, please don’t make inaccurate comments. 

I’m currently at 390 hours of it and counting, prior to the December update it was rock steady and happy at 80 FPS other then race starts which was fine. 

Of course original AC is far less demanding, it’s over 6 years old and doesn’t come close either visually or with physics to ACC
    | AMD Ryzen 3800X CPU | Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti 11G  | RAM: 16GB | PSU: 850W | W10 x64 | Simucube2 Ultimate Wheel Base | Precision Sim Engineering GT3 Wheel | HRS Xero-Play Quick Release | Fanatec CSS Shifter V1.5 | Heusinkveld Ultimate Pedals | Rift S | Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro Headphones | Sim-Lab P1 Racing Cockpit | Sparco Evo Seat
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    edited February 21
    morphee7 said:
     I notice that this is an Asus ROG. There might be more specific drivers for USB on their page.

I have the same motherboard as you and have the same problems.  I have convinced myself that this issue is related to USB connection/conflicts because the USB disconnect problems also coincide with the version 12 driver release. Even though we all know this is a problem introduced through the Oculus updated driver, it makes sense if its USB related that it may only affect certain motherboards or certain motherboard/other hardware combinations. Anyone else with problems should list their mobo as well. It doesn't seem like Oculus is even working on this anymore so we probably just have to find out what hardware is no longer supported and decide whether we want to ditch the Rift or ditch our specific components.

Mine is the Asus ROG Maximus X Hero (Wifi AC)
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
    Brain Burst
    ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi

What the current Oculus driver version. Went back to PTC as too many issues with V13 and the driver version in device manager is showing 1.0.0.1 from 30/04/2019, is that right? 
    | AMD Ryzen 3800X CPU | Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti 11G  | RAM: 16GB | PSU: 850W | W10 x64 | Simucube2 Ultimate Wheel Base | Precision Sim Engineering GT3 Wheel | HRS Xero-Play Quick Release | Fanatec CSS Shifter V1.5 | Heusinkveld Ultimate Pedals | Rift S | Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro Headphones | Sim-Lab P1 Racing Cockpit | Sparco Evo Seat
    Brain Burst
    So doing more testing as much as I can in ACC, disabling AA doesn't seem to do anything noticeable for performance. What does though is changing graphics performance preference in the Rift S (Devices, click on Rift S and Touch, go down to graphics performance) from Prioritize Quality to Prioritize performance. I'm testing with just me on track at Spa, clear weather, 9:00am, no other cars. 

Set to Prioritize Quality I get 69% head room and 80FPS on the desktop in home, -45% headroom 40fps in the ACC main menu -15% headroom 40fps looking straight out of the car in pits, -35% headroom 40fps looking out the left windows down pit lane and between -10% and -30% headroom always 40 fps around a lap.

Set to Prioritize Performance the desktop in Oculus home goes to 72% headroom. In ACC FPS still sits at 40 at all times but the headroom improves by about 20% across the board, main menu becomes -20% looking straight out the car goes 0% positive and around the lap it varies between -10 and +10%

So what does this graphics setting do and why is it affecting third party software to such a huge extent? Is this where changes were made in December to drop performance so badly?
    Art3mis
    ok im really confused ill just copy and paste i have just sent th9is reply to the support ticket

the answer to your firat question is no this is not the iracing app this is assetto corsa competizione and this performance drop didnt happen pre december on iracing but cant test this now as i have no subscription, i dont own any oculus store games as i only use vr for sim racing,

However this morning i fired up the pc after last night after countless pc restarts, oculus app reinstalling and unpluging and repluging in the rift s with no joy, the performance monitor showed 80fps with between 40 - 50% headroom, so i tested the 40fps with ASW enabled and the same result 40 - 50% headroom still.
    i have updated nothing, nothing has been updated automaticly, so i thought id open up the oculus mirror and take screenshots of it and WALLOP the performance monitor drops to between 0 - 10% headroom at 80fps with ASW on auto and with fps locked at 40 and ASW enabled si it has to be the mirror that is draining so much of the GPU
    i will however leave this ticket open for a while with further testing don

• RomeoAlphaRomeoAlpha Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    My motherboard is an MSI Z270 PC Mate.  I have continuous stutter in my headset.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,506 Valuable Player
    I got an update this morning to the PTC that required a restart of the PC to finish installing which is a little unusual.
    Wonder what has changed in the update...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • jabjab Posts: 234
    Nexus 6
    edited February 24
    That's why we have changelogs. ohh wait..
  • suppenhuhnsuppenhuhn Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Oh boy - got the PTC v14 and Quest finally running ( renaming audiosources ) and today it auto-installed a update ( PC ) with the awesome result that my USB-3 Connection won't work anymore...WTF ?!?!
    greetings from bavaria
  • cainplcainpl Posts: 11
    Brain Burst
    edited February 23
    I don't know what you are doing all the time with your software, Oculus.
    Barely solved my issues with losing touches tracking and today I had to install your new drivers update. HMD is losing tracking again. Moreover, there is stuttering which i hadn't earlier.
    Why did you break it again? 
    Brain Burst
    Seems to me they are just on their own thing and largely ignore any issues posted here. Support tickets tend to end with “its not us, it’s someone else’s issues” even when Oculus is the only one that changed something. Not sure what happened recently as until December the software was very good, been using Oculus since original CV1 preorder days. Now it’s a disaster and support just buries it’s head in the sand. 

Hugely disappointing 
    Nexus 6
    edited February 24
    Reading between the lines I get the suspicion that Oculus never actually fixed the "static noise" cable problem. Instead I think they just masked it by either some bandwidth reducing hack and/or by having ATW replacing the bad frames with interpolated content. And lately with all the new features they have implemented, it may very well be that it is now coming back to bite them in the ass. This is of course pure speculation, but it would explain why some people are having problems, while others appear to be fine.
    Art3mis
    jab said:
    Reading between the lines I get the suspicion that Oculus never actually fixed the "static noise" cable problem. Instead I think they just masked it by either some bandwidth reducing hack and/or by having ATW replacing the bad frames with interpolated content. And lately with all the new features they have implemented, it may very well be that it is now coming back to bite them in the ass. This is of course pure speculation, but it would explain why some people are having problems, while others appear to be fine.

now you say that, i have 2 DP slots on my 1080ti whic one has my rift s in and my 2560x1440 144hz (which is locked at 120hz in that slot) in the other, now if i swap them over i get the white static back on the rift s and the monitor lets me have 144hz so there is actually a difference with DP slots on GPU's
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,122 Valuable Player
    edited February 24
    morphee7 said:
    jab said:

now you say that, i have 2 DP slots on my 1080ti whic one has my rift s in and my 2560x1440 144hz (which is locked at 120hz in that slot) in the other, now if i swap them over i get the white static back on the rift s and the monitor lets me have 144hz so there is actually a difference with DP slots on GPU's
    @morphee7 , Sorry but this does not sound right to me.  Your gtx1080ti should have 1x 2.0 hdmi and 3x 1.4 DisplayPorts.  All 3 DP's should be the same so it should not matter which ones you use.  If one DP port is damaged or if the gpu is starting to fail there might be a difference.  In your case you might want to unplug your rift's DP and try your monitor on each port.  You should be able to get 2560x1440 @144hz on each port.  If you find you cannot do this on one port I would avoid using that port for anything, including your Rift. 

An external monitor running at high resolutions/refresh rates can use a few more resources.  Multiple monitors even worse.  If I were you I would try setting your external monitor to 1080p (1920 x 1080) and 100hz refresh rate.  You may be surprised when you do this and may find your VR is a lot more stable.  If this is the case you might have a weak and/or failing power supply, or maybe a weak cpu.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Art3mis
    @TomCgcmfc sorry but i have a asus ROG Strix 1080ti with 2 DP's 2 HDMI'S and 1 VGA, i also can only have the monitor set to DP 1.1 as it wont run at 1.2 in the port its in but it will run at 1.2 if i put the monitor in the rift s port now i also have another 2650x1440 at 60Hz in one of the HDMI ports but i only use that for discord and when i didnt have VR i used it for slobs and twitch chat and by the specs of the 1080ti it dont come close to what is capable with this card
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 293
    Nexus 6
    I am runing the V14 latest patch since the weekend, and am not having any tracking issues or stuttering, but have twice seen the static flash of old.

This is over a period of 8 hours gameplay,  so nowhere near as bad as it was, but I had not had the flashes for a few months until this latest update,

RIFT CV1
    RIFT S
    Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
    morphee7 said:
    @TomCgcmfc sorry but i have a asus ROG Strix 1080ti with 2 DP's 2 HDMI'S and 1 VGA, i also can only have the monitor set to DP 1.1 as it wont run at 1.2 in the port its in but it will run at 1.2 if i put the monitor in the rift s port now i also have another 2650x1440 at 60Hz in one of the HDMI ports but i only use that for discord and when i didnt have VR i used it for slobs and twitch chat and by the specs of the 1080ti it dont come close to what is capable with this card
    Wow, I did not think that any gtx1080ti included a VGA, lol!  I don't think it actually has a VGA, probably a dvi-d.

https://www.asus.com/au/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING/specifications/

Also, both DP's should be 1.4.  No gtx1080ti's that I'm aware of have 1x1.2 and 1x 1.4 DP.

Maybe you should try connecting your monitor to your GPU's 2.0 hdmi and then try each DP to give you the best Rift result.

Did you buy this GPU used?  Maybe you got a dud?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Nexus 6
    I am runing the V14 latest patch since the weekend, and am not having any tracking issues or stuttering, but have twice seen the static flash of old.

This is over a period of 8 hours gameplay,  so nowhere near as bad as it was, but I had not had the flashes for a few months until this latest update,

+1 Illuminati confirmed.. :)
    Art3mis
    @TomCgcmfc it was brand new and i didnt think HDMI 2.0 ran more that 60Hz. anyway if i run the rift s without the DP monitor attached to the GPU i still get the white static if i put the rift s i nthe monitor DP slot
    morphee7 said:
    @TomCgcmfc it was brand new and i didnt think HDMI 2.0 ran more that 60Hz. anyway if i run the rift s without the DP monitor attached to the GPU i still get the white static if i put the rift s i nthe monitor DP slot
    Ok, I see that this is not going anywhere so I'll just leave you with a good luck and cheers, lol!

• ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 270 Oculus Staff
    Quick heads up for PTC folks - you may see a small PTC update today, but you shouldn't see any noticeable changes. Just a behind-the-scenes bug fix and an updated software certificate.
  • AnonMomAnonMom Posts: 18
    Brain Burst
    Quick heads up for PTC folks - you may see a small PTC update today, but you shouldn't see any noticeable changes. Just a behind-the-scenes bug fix and an updated software certificate.
    I just got a 14.1 update and was wondering what it was