cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S "Oculus Software restart required" Possible fix!

BigBadBatch
Explorer
The problem that was for the most of us lately: "Oculus Software restart required", Sensors cannot track headset when trying to setup the oculus rift s again, Displayport did not registeres, 3 white dots in a black screen when putting the headset on. all of that was my issues until 30 minutes ago!
when trying to setup a new device the message was "Sensors can't track headset" and then you'll try to mess with the cables of the headset.
anyway, STAIGHT TO THE POINT! This will (I hope at least) fix that bug for most of you.

Go to Windows>Settings>Privacy>Camera. If the camera settings is turn on, turn them off. EVERYTHING!

after that check what the software says about it headset. it should say straight away "Sensors can't track headset".
If that is what you got then it's good. Turn on the camera settings and try again the Oculus Software.
That method fixed the problem for me and I hope it will fix your problem as well! if that fixed your problem, Please be sure to write it down here.
If the problem has returned, repeat that process.
Have a good day!
18 REPLIES 18

Netheri
Rising Star
You guys who have to re-plug USB: Check that the USB's settings doesn't have the "let windows shut this device to save energy" on.
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

AntyCrix
Honored Guest

The problem that was for the most of us lately: "Oculus Software restart required", Sensors cannot track headset when trying to setup the oculus rift s again, Displayport did not registeres, 3 white dots in a black screen when putting the headset on. all of that was my issues until 30 minutes ago!
when trying to setup a new device the message was "Sensors can't track headset" and then you'll try to mess with the cables of the headset.
anyway, STAIGHT TO THE POINT! This will (I hope at least) fix that bug for most of you.

Go to Windows>Settings>Privacy>Camera. If the camera settings is turn on, turn them off. EVERYTHING!

after that check what the software says about it headset. it should say straight away "Sensors can't track headset".
If that is what you got then it's good. Turn on the camera settings and try again the Oculus Software.
That method fixed the problem for me and I hope it will fix your problem as well! if that fixed your problem, Please be sure to write it down here.
If the problem has returned, repeat that process.
Have a good day!

Worked for me, thank you very much!

MaggieL
Honored Guest
I had the same issue a few weeks after getting the headset. I had tried to install and unninstall the oculus software but it wasn't the solution. Support gave me these steps to follow in case it helps anyone with the same issue, I basically did all of them to get it working.

"I have some questions, additional steps, and requests for you:

• Are you leaving your headset plugged in to the computer all the time? The Rift S should be unplugged and stored safely in its box when not in use, along with the Touch Controllers with batteries removed. When you start/restart your PC, the computer will power all the ports at the same time which does not provide enough power for the Rift S. This can lead to display/connectivity issues.
  • Confirm you have the latest Windows update.
  • Confirm you've updated your Graphics drivers. 
  • Update the USB drivers:

1. Navigate to your Device Manager.
    2. Uninstall all USB drivers.
    3. Restart your computer. This will install the Windows default drivers.
  • Install the latest Oculus drivers. To do this:

1. Close the Oculus app.
    2. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run command.
    3. Enter C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers
    4. Open and run the oculus-driver.exe
    5. Open the Oculus app and then try to connect your headset again.
    6. Restart the Oculus app on your PC computer.
  • Disable the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power":

1. Right click the Start menu and select Device Manager.
    2. Scroll down and open the USB section.
    3. Right click the first option and select Update. Wait for this to finish.
    4. Right click the first option and select Properties.
    5. Open the Power Management tab, and uncheck the "Allow this device to turn off" box. The tab might not be there for all entries. If missing, move to the next one.
    6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each item in the USB section.
  • Confirm your Camera Permissions are set correctly:

1. Open your Windows Settings.
    2. Click Privacy.
    3. Click Camera.
    4. Change your "Allow apps to access your camera" setting to "On".
  • Re-install Rift S Sensors:

1. Open Device Manager.
    2. Go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    3. Uninstall/Remove the Rift S sensor items listed.
    4. Click Scan for Hardware Changes at the top of Device Manager and wait a few minutes for the items removed to return."

Sabin801
Honored Guest
Fix- I used a powered usb hub. I no longer have to unplug, the usb and plug it back in. 

Purthurax
Honored Guest

MaggieL said:

I had the same issue a few weeks after getting the headset. I had tried to install and unninstall the oculus software but it wasn't the solution. Support gave me these steps to follow in case it helps anyone with the same issue, I basically did all of them to get it working.

• Are you leaving your headset plugged in to the computer all the time? The Rift S should be unplugged and stored safely in its box when not in use, along with the Touch Controllers with batteries removed. When you start/restart your PC, the computer will power all the ports at the same time which does not provide enough power for the Rift S. This can lead to display/connectivity issues.
  • Confirm you have the latest Windows update.
  • Confirm you've updated your Graphics drivers. 
  • Update the USB drivers:

1. Navigate to your Device Manager.
    2. Uninstall all USB drivers.
    3. Restart your computer. This will install the Windows default drivers.
  • Install the latest Oculus drivers. To do this:

1. Close the Oculus app.
    2. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run command.
    3. Enter C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers
    4. Open and run the oculus-driver.exe
    5. Open the Oculus app and then try to connect your headset again.
    6. Restart the Oculus app on your PC computer.
  • Disable the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power":

1. Right click the Start menu and select Device Manager.
    2. Scroll down and open the USB section.
    3. Right click the first option and select Update. Wait for this to finish.
    4. Right click the first option and select Properties.
    5. Open the Power Management tab, and uncheck the "Allow this device to turn off" box. The tab might not be there for all entries. If missing, move to the next one.
    6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each item in the USB section.
  • Confirm your Camera Permissions are set correctly:

1. Open your Windows Settings.
    2. Click Privacy.
    3. Click Camera.
    4. Change your "Allow apps to access your camera" setting to "On".
  • Re-install Rift S Sensors:

1. Open Device Manager.
    2. Go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    3. Uninstall/Remove the Rift S sensor items listed.
    4. Click Scan for Hardware Changes at the top of Device Manager and wait a few minutes for the items removed to return."

so i just did every one of these and i still can not make my Rift S work... on the rift page it says i have no audio and when i get that to go away it just says i need to restart my device... no matter what tho, i can enter any game but my controllers dont track at all and my headset wont track movement ether, also, when i try and setup the play zone it flashes snow at me and i have disconnected and reconnected my cords and it doesnt change anything... i have had the device about 5 days and have played on it (while it was actually working) for maybe 2 hrs and thats when i first set it up... does anyone have any ideas?

BraverThought
Protege
That last step"Uninstall/Remove the Rift S sensor items listed." Is my problem, I dont have that usb popping up. Dont know how to force it to install/start. It's not even in the registry. 

Rosherau
Honored Guest

MaggieL said:

This is the most dum,b sh1t explanation fix ive ever seen, :
Are you leaving your headset plugged in to the computer all the time? The Rift S should be unplugged and stored safely in its box when not in use, along with the Touch Controllers with batteries removed. When you start/restart your PC, the computer will power all the ports at the same time which does not provide enough power for the Rift S. This can lead to display/connectivity issues....

This fixes the issue but temporarily.

lol time to get a powerev usb 3.1 hub

freddap
Explorer

Rosherau said:

MaggieL said:

This is the most dum,b sh1t explanation fix ive ever seen, :
Are you leaving your headset plugged in to the computer all the time? The Rift S should be unplugged and stored safely in its box when not in use, along with the Touch Controllers with batteries removed. When you start/restart your PC, the computer will power all the ports at the same time which does not provide enough power for the Rift S. This can lead to display/connectivity issues....

This fixes the issue but temporarily.

lol time to get a powerev usb 3.1 hub

A powered usb hub does not solve this unfortunately.

rumatych
Honored Guest

Sabin801 said:

Fix- I used a powered usb hub. I no longer have to unplug, the usb and plug it back in. Solution 

The solution works for me. The motherboard has only USB 3.1 ports (Type 1 and Type 2). Got a powered USB 3.0 hub and put in oculus into it and now it works like a charm.

Edit. Well... Sometimes after the system booted up, see the same problem as before, but fo just push off - push on the button on USB hub, and after that all is ok.