cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony to unveil PSVR 2 for PS5 (leak)

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Sony had a big surprise in store for its PS5 event, but a huge leak might’ve just spoiled it

Apparently, the new PlayStation VR 2 headset will be unveiled this year, and it could be announced alongside the highly anticipated PS5. We’ve always suspected that a new PSVR was in the making, a system that could leverage the more sophisticated PS5 hardware. And, if a developer called Immersive VR Education is to be believed, the next-gen PlayStation VR device will be unveiled this year.
“In 2020, Sony will release PlayStation 5 and a new version of the PlayStation VR headset (PSVR), which will further expand the high-end VR user base – the group intends to support this device with its current software package,” Immersive wrote in a financial report, TechBriefly says

PSVR2 paired with the more powerful PS5 would be a big deal. It would bring real VR to the masses at an affordable price without the need for a PC. I would expect the PS5 to be as powerful as a 1080ti / 2070. If the PSVR 2 has properly controllers and Rift S resolution, it could be a very impressive VR device. 

Do you think the PSVR 2 will have a major impact on VR? Will it hurt PCVR or help it through ports and by acting as a gateway drug?

i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2
34 REPLIES 34

inovator
Consultant

snowdog said:

I know you don't need PS+ for most of these games but I'm refusing to buy these consoles as a matter of principle.

Your a better man than me. I'd rather have a blast in res. evil than principle.

Wildt
Consultant

OmegaM4N said:

^^^Yeap, psplus is not really needed for PSVR stuff as most of the good ones are single player anyway, i have a PS4 pro and have gotten by without having any PSplus for games like Wipeout vR, RE7, Astorbot, Golf VR, Rush of Blood, Driveclub VR....and even some mutiplatform ports are great, Skyrimvr, Borderlands 2 VR, PBFX2 VR, as sometime you just want some VR while relaxing in your comfy chair with a joypad, and not dancing around the room. lol

Yeah, I bought my PS4 pro + PSVR for Wipeout, RE7 and Astro Bot. 
Astro Bot exceeded my (big) expectations.
Re7 was as good as I hoped for, but while Wipeout is a great game, the hardware lets it down. 60fps (redrawn twice for 120hz) is simply too little for such a fast racer imo. 
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^I just hope Sony don't go all cheap and go for LCD panels instead of sticking with OLED, that would be a deal breaker for me as i simply cannot deal with LCD HMDs now, i mean the PSVR might be way lower res per eye but that OLED panel more than makes up for it in clarity, colour depth and those wonderful rich deep black levels.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Wildt
Consultant
Actually the PSVR has more subpixels than the CV1
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^And not on single godray i might add, so i hope Sony stick with those lens or even better.

KarstenS80
Adventurer
Is there some reason nobody else is using lenses like in PSVR?

Every frensel lense I've seen till now is far behind the PSVR lenses in case of clarity.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^I think Oculus and HTC had already laid down the specs for their units and they were in mass production by the time Sony decided to throw their hat into the ring, hence Sony might have had more options as to the lens that they could choose from, but one cavet to that is the PSVR like the WMR hmds that all come with better lens all have smaller sweetspots, with the WMR having the smallest sweetspot of any HMD i have owned, the PSVR is a bit larger, and the Vive and Cv1 are a bit bigger again sweetspot wise, so maybe that is why Oculus and Vive choose those ones.

KarstenS80
Adventurer
Sony was working since 2010 on PSVR (and even earlier on other MHD like "Glasstron").

The announcement of Oculus Rift did in my opinion just forced Sony to release it soon or never.

But I don't think there was much time to change alot of what they had till this moment.

Here you find an article about it: https://www.polygon.com/2016/3/9/11174194/the-making-of-playstation-vr

The Fresnels in the S and Quest are a lot better than CV1, I think it's just a matter of each generation of lens being better than the ones that went before, like most other technical advances.

I think software devs should still steer clear of too high a ration with OLED screened HMDs though. 

I wasn't a fan of Fresnels when I moved from DK2 to CV1, the rays were very obtrusive in high contrast scenes and contrast was effected in low contrast scenes, but I'm amazed how much the technology has improved in just a few years and hopefully will continue to.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Fresnel lenses were introduced to help with screen door effect in the Oculus CV1 and because they were cheaper to make. Give me PlayStation VR lenses over the cheaper Fresnel lenses any day, or just revert back to Oculus DK2 lenses and I'll be more than happy. With LCD displays and higher resolutions we don't really need Fresnel for screen door IMHO.

PlayStation VR does a good job and it has the lowest resolution of all VR headsets.