cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Rift S Review] From CV1 to S

xWildchildx
Explorer
Hi all,
time to spend my 2 cent on a small review.
In the past weeks I've read a lot of review focused on "from CV1 to S worth it?", and now that I took the S from Amazon on Black Friday with 50euro discount, I can post my consideration.
I have the CV1 since something like "day 1" (maybe day "2" let me say).
I saw all the software evolution, I remember every single update and phase of the CV1 history, the bad updates and the good one.
Oculus effort was AMAZING during the last years, so massive improvements was done since the day one! 
Now, the S come out. I've read all the review and basically the "CONS" considered by most of that review is:

1) no OLED, so black is not black but "greysh";
2) audio quality from the "non-headphones;
3) sensors tracking sometimes not perfect (latest updates should mitigate/fix this);

My "S" arrived last Saturday at me. I was excited, not like the first day with the CV1, but excited.
Package is really good, let me say that CV1 was AWESOME, but the S one is really good. But we don't care about the package...right?
So, connecting the S to the PC (i7 6700k, 16GB RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti)...Oculus Home didn't open itself as I expect. Mmm. I open it manually.
Ok! Found the Rift S! It ask me firmware and driver updates. Let's do this. It takes a long time, after some Oculus Home restart...it ask me to...restart Oculus Software. Again. And again. And again. And again.
Ok. Shit. Maybe a clean Oculus installation is preferred. I can accept this since I never needed to re-install it clean since CV1 "bug" a long time ago (do you remember that update? 🙂 ).
Ok, clean install! Insert Rift "S"..."can't track your movement" (or something like that...) and again, ask me for software restart loop.
So angry. It takes me hours on this, then after "usb out/in" and "display port out/in"...SBAM! It works! Finally! I can try it!

I'll be very short:

1) OMG...that's CRISP. I can finally rad every single row of text! It's AMAZING from CV1 experience! WOW!
2) Colors are OK, let me say, I can't tell you if there's some difference from CV1 on this...really.
3) Black: meh...I think this is the major big problem (after the software and connection...that is THE major). For many games/experience is fine. For example, on daytime in Pavlov VR or Onward, it's really fantastic...you'll don't miss the OLED "true" black. But...in the dark scene...you'll miss it. A lot. This will break your experience. On Arizona Sunshine dark scene for example, Onward night time (without night vision on, of course). On Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa you can notice it, but it's not so important as I could expect. It's OK. Just OK. Not so bad on that kind of game. Vader Immortal instead break your immersion a lot cause the dark environment around you.
4) Audio: OMG. Why? Why Oculus decide to go with this SHIT instead of the "near-perfect" headphones in the CV1? Because I can't give to this other name other than shit. It's pure shit. Lack in bass. In clarity. In dynamics. It lacks everything you could expect for a GOOD audio experience. You need the headphones in order to avoid any nausea and so I tried it with my small AKG K328 earphones. But the problem is that every time you put your Rift S on, you need to insert the earphones. And again, when you take it out, the same. Annoying as hell.
5) Refresh rate: for the most part, I can't notice difference from CV1 90hz to Rift S 80Hz. Most, but not all. It works fine for Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa where I originally expect issues. It's fine. I can't believe but I don't notice so much difference. In Onward, by the way, it's MASSIVE difference. Rift S movement it's bad against CV1 "perfection". Very strange, tried several time but that's it. Annoying. 
6) Tracking: sensors are the only issue that sometimes the CV1 gives to me so I was really excited from inside tracking of Rift S! Ok, it's fine for most of games like Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa. Let me say, it's fine for all games without the touch needed. Because the touch movement it's not good as the CV1. A lot. In Onward for example gun/rifle movements are not natural at all. In CV1 it's almost perfect, in Rift S so disappointing. Also, you need the full lights on in the room, if you lower it the tracking simply stops working at all. I've read so many reviews and most of all says that the latest updates improved this a lot, I tried the beta update channel of course but it's simply not working as good as CV1. No near miss, but very distant from the CV1.
7) Comfort: I think this is personal, but for me the CV1 it's so much better in comfort and easy to put in/out.

So that's it.I love the screen resolution and sharpness. It's night and day from CV1, for sure. The sound it's so awful but ok, you can use your headphones. 
The refresh rate can be "good" for 90% of games. The "true black" lacks too. 
But the software...the drivers...OMG...this is a nightmare. Why? Why Oculus???

Final consideration: probably I will return it to Amazon due to connection issues. I don't want to fight everytime I want to play
For 10 mins play you need 30mins fight with connection. Unacceptable.
I hope they'll fix this issue, otherwise Rift S is already dead.

After connection...I think that if you come from CV1, the Rift S it's simply not your way to go. If you played a lot like me in the CV1, black lacks, refresh rate and tracking will make too much impact on your experience.
But, if you're new to VR, Rift S will be AMAZING experience because you cannot compare it to the CV1 experience.

P.S.: after 2 days of play, I took back the CV1 for comparison. Simply put the USB and HDMI. It works like a charm. At first try. CV1, my old love, missed you so much.
Thermaltake Element G - Corsair TX850W - ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.5GHz (1.230V) - Noctua NH-D15 - 16GB DDR4 3.466Mhz Corsair (2x8GB) CAS16  - Samsung 950 PRO  M.2 NVMe 256GB - GTX 980Ti Inno3D iChill Black Accelero Hybrid S - Windows 10 PRO 64bit - Panasonic CXM710 50" 4K LED - Oculus Rift CV1
54 REPLIES 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

Maybe some these threads are getting old.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/eaxbmw/oculus_link_artifacts/

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/dz9wh6/oculus_link_users_how_are_your_colors/

How about super sampling using Quest Link?

Norm from Tested clearly noticed compression and banding artifacts using Quest Link in Alyx - and the resolution was so bad he couldn't read the fine text on the Alyx' gloves' microchip (which was barely readable using Rift-S and readable using Index) - jump to 17:45 if my timestamp does not work:

https://youtu.be/T54aGkkXfuc

They also found Quest very uncomfortable and front-heavy when doing longer play sessions. The piped audio was really bad too. The Quest Link cable hanging out in the front does not look good to me, but maybe that was just due to Tested's preferences - I like having the cable in the back so I don't notice it - or much closer to my throat and chest when placed in the front. Looks like the Link cable could be easy to pull out and detach... 

Now jump to 26:18 for the CV1 - and everyone's amazed and happy, even though it's only 2 sensors 😉

SS seems to work fine with Quest Link on my end.
Can't comment on Alyx, as well it is not out yet...
😉 

Yes Quest is not as comfortable as my Rift S, but I have no problem using it for extended play. The only thing that bothers me is how warm it gets when untethered - hooked up via Link it does not get warm like that.
As far as comfort I would rank:
#1 - Rift S
#2 - Rift CV1
#3 - Quest

None are at the point of keeping me from using it though. I do much prefer the Halo headband of the Rift S.
My CV1 = permanently retired.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just trying to share the CV1 love - for those who get it  B)

My review on Cv1/Quest/Rift S

I've had all the headsets and had a lot of thoughts about VR and Oculus' devices in common. My personal experience is mine and if you have different opinion just post it here aswell.

CV1

1. Best tracking out of all. 3 sensors can track behind your back, literally everywhere.

2. Nice quality plastic. I've thrown controllers a couple of times with a force of a baseball and they still work well and come in one piece. Had no problems.

3. Mechanical IPD. Nothing else to add here.

4. A bit worse screen but it has decent refresh rate of 90 Hz.

5. Lightweight. Only 450-470 grams. You can play most of fast paced and physically demanding games like Thrill of fight, Creed rise to glory, beat saber etc with no problems. It doesn't feel like a brick on your head.

6. Nice headphones. (But easy to break)

7. Wire breaks after about a year of use.

Verdict: Still using

Oculus quest

1. Standalone

2. Front heavy and weights 570 grams. Made me feel sick and gave me severe headache a couple of times.

3. Only 72-75 Hz framerate. It's not that noticeable but sometimes in fast paced games literally breaks the immersion.

4. Face cover is too big and i had to tighten straps sometimes to get FOV at least of CV1.

5. Seemingly worse FOV.

6. Screen colors better than Rift S

7. Oculus Link tracking and latency felt far more inferior to me compared to CV1. Latency literally kills any competitive game.

8. Better screen resolution. More pixels than Rift S but not as much subpixels.

9. Mechanical IPD. Nothing else to add here.

10. Link's encoding gives tons of glitches especially on dark surfaces.

Verdict: sold to my friend

Oculus Rift S

1. Worse screen than Quest, but has more subpixels and refresh rate (80). But much better than CV1 except for colors. Can't give you the real "black" color in dark scenes.

2. No visual problems like glitches, encoding problems like quest had.

3. The same weight as Quest but it's not face heavy and origin is whereit's supposed to be.

4. Same tracking as quest, far inferior compared to CV1.

5. No need to install sensors (but i didn't feel it to be a big problem)

6. No mechanical IPD (I have 69 and i couldn't use it for too long).

7. The same plastic Quest had. Controllers are the same. Extermely easy to break.

8. That huge strap feels weird and gives extra weight. I had to replace it to DYI for some time.

Verdict: Sold to Avito guy

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/f8s27n/my_review_on_cv1questrift_s/

The dude forgot ss - the most important thing about CV1 is how good it still looks using ss 2.0. Or above - for the few super-ss-feinschmeckers out there - but then you'll easily end up with forcing a res like 2-3 x the Reverb lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

I get it, I just don't agree with it. My CV1 hasn't been used since gettng the S.... more than that, I've used the S far more and for longer sessions. That guy has a 69 IPD and I suspect that has a greater affect on him than other things he's listed. Either way I prefer the LCD colours than those of my Quest OLEDs slight over-saturation. He also doesn't mention lens comparisons, big reduction in rays for the S in high contrast scenes over CV1.

Big strap feels wierd? that's a new one and sounds I bit like list filler to me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I get it, I just don't agree with it. My CV1 hasn't been used since gettng the S.... more than that, I've used the S far more and for longer sessions. That guy has a 69 IPD and I suspect that has a greater affect on him than other things he's listed. Either way I prefer the LCD colours than those of my Quest OLEDs slight over-saturation. He also doesn't mention lens comparisons, big reduction in rays for the S in high contrast scenes over CV1.

Big strap feels wierd? that's a new one and sounds I bit like list filler to me.

Same here, CV1 got retired permanently one I got the Rift S.
Been using the Rift S mostly daily since getting it last May. No way could I use the CV1 again.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Agreed to some degree, I would be less happy for the CV1 if I didn't have the Index to fill the holes. In short having both a more high-res lcd hmd and a good old (Gen1) oled hmd work wonders these days. The hmd I use depends on the game I want to play. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
For me:

CV1:
1) Good built in audio
2) Comfortable but a little tight with glasses
3) Best tracking
4) Worst screens
5) Clunkiest setup
6) Too many USB ports used
7) No pass through camera

Rift S:
1) Best screens despite worst black levels
2) Pass through camera is very useful and easily accessed
3) Quick and simple setup
4) Uses single USB port
5) Generally good tracking but slightly worse than CV1
6) Uncomfortable halo design and poorly secures to head (lots of screen bounce when moving)
7) Worst audio by a huge margin (effectively unusable, might as well not have it at all)
Status: Main VR headset used (I use wireless headphones and a motorcycle helmet liner with it)

Quest:
1) Most portable
2) Most comfortable with glasses despite weight increase over CV1
3) Hilariously easy setup
4) Good screens with excellent black levels, lacks clarity of Rift S though
5) Audio is laptop speaker level and thus worse than even cheapest headphones, still beats Rift S by a lot though
6) Good tracking but worst of the lot, much better than WMR headsets
7) No pass through camera except during setup or if leaving play area
😎 Buggy with bluetooth devices
9) Truly awful game selection
Status: Collecting dust, should probably ebay it due to lack of games

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@BeastyBaiter

I found the Oculus CV1 to be extremely comfortable for those who don't wear glasses and using a PV Cover from VR cover. The setup took me no more than 10 mins on the CV1 and I haven't had to set it up again until I decided to move my sensors to a different wall. I purchased a powered USB Hub and plugged the CV1 sensors and headset USB into that, which freed up all the other USB ports on my PC.

Rift S, I found the Halo design to be really comfortable probably even more comfortable than the CV1. Found the tracking to be no where near as good as CV1 tracking due to losing tracking behind you. Agree with the other things you mention about Rift S.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
I've been bouncing between hotel rooms and my apartment for the past year, so setting up a new play area is a weekly occurrence for me. Thus 10 minute setup + 2 extra items in my carry on bag vs 1 minute setup and just a headset is kind of a big deal for me and the primary reason I bought it over the Index.

As for the halo design, it fits some people well (or people claim) but not others. For me, it puts nearly 100% of the weight + about 20x that in tensioning pressure on a on a 1 inch strip of my forehead. Obviously, that's not very comfortable. The thick helmet liner helps a little, but still not anywhere close to the Quest's comfort. And even with that much pressure, it still bounces all over the place in games like beat saber and creed. The top head strap might as well not exist, even at near full tension, it doesn't actually take any weight. Not that it would matter due to the bouncing headset issue. All the pressure is from torquing the headset down so it doesn't fly off my head or spin around sideways when slowly and gently rotating my head around.

Problem is the headset is it lacks the back of skull support the CV1 and Quest have. The CV1 and Quest have that ring/triangle thing in the back which cradles the skull, providing both vertical and lateral stability with minimal pressure. It's a design with inherit stability. The halo rides near the top of the head and relies exclusively on  tension to hold itself in place. Additionally, since it's near the top of the head, both front and rear contact points are sloped inwards on my head, thus making it so that unless extremely tight, tightening the headset tends to slide it upwards and off my head. It's a really awful design tbh and while it may work for some, it's ideal for no one from a simple mechanical standpoint.

The halo design has only a single advantage, it's ability to quickly be resized between different users. In that regard, the CV1/Quest/Index design can't compete.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

@BeastyBaiter

I found the Oculus CV1 to be extremely comfortable for those who don't wear glasses and using a PV Cover from VR cover. The setup took me no more than 10 mins on the CV1 and I haven't had to set it up again until I decided to move my sensors to a different wall. I purchased a powered USB Hub and plugged the CV1 sensors and headset USB into that, which freed up all the other USB ports on my PC.

Rift S, I found the Halo design to be really comfortable probably even more comfortable than the CV1. Found the tracking to be no where near as good as CV1 tracking due to losing tracking behind you. Agree with the other things you mention about Rift S.

I set up CV1 in 2017 and have not moved the sensors since. Once told the kids that I took a shortcut through the cemetery, and suddenly I came upon a fresh little grave. The tombstone said: "Here lies little Albert, he moved an Oculus Rift sensor"  😄 Ok, just joking - but the kids know that Dad won't appreciate if they move the sensors  😉 

I'm only fond of CV1 when using high levels of ss. I don't think I could use the CV1 if I was forced to low levels of ss (like 1.0 :# ) - so CV1 needs a lot of gpu power, I'm probably pushing my gpu using CV1 ss 2.0 more than Reverb res 100% users - or similarly... 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@BeastyBaiter - I see why setting up Oculus CV1 is a problem for you because you are moving places a lot. It's not what I would call hard to set up if you are in one place or at home though. Like I already mentioned, I have only had to set it up twice in the 3 years I've had my Oculus CV1 and that was due to me moving my sensors. 

I also find many people like the Halo design when looking at these forums and I myself found it to be extremely comfortable. I also see that a lot of people complain about Oculus Quest being uncomfortable and have modded it with different things people are selling to try and make it more comfortable. I think there's around 4 or 5 different things that people are selling to try and stop the Oculus Quest feeling too front heavy atm.

I actually found Oculus CV1 to be uncomfortable due to the material used on the face plate. It only became really comfortable for me when I purchased the PV Cover from VR cover.