cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S stuck in software restart required loop

Wilky926
Explorer
Hi all.  I bought an Oculus Rift S to replace my original Rift yesterday, set it up and played with it all day with no issues.  However today it just will not work at all!  The Oculus home keeps telling me that it requires a software restart but every time I do this it just reboots and tells me it needs to restart again.  Also windows flashes up saying the headset is not detected every time I turn my pc on now and the setup for the headset gets stuck on the sensor setup part.
I have updated all drivers and downloaded the latest Oculus software and ran the repair and nothing has worked so far.  
A google search is revealing that this has been an issue since July!  but I cant find a definitive answer as to how to fix this.
Any help is appreciated because im 2 seconds away from sending this back and getting a HTC Vive lol.
217 REPLIES 217

Cuth22
Honored Guest
I received my rift s on the 19th, and I am having this issue as well, so its def not fixed with a newer batch. 

neilwatts86
Explorer

I SOVED THE RESTART LOOP PROBLEM. I just went back to the store and got a replacement device, the new one worked perfectly the moment I plugged it in. 😕

I'm returning mine to amazon as faulty and waiting for a replacement but it'll be a while as there are currently none in stock. I've got to the point i would have to re-plug in the rift tens of time before it would work. Latest beta update has made no difference.

Oculus claimed replacing the hardware wouldn't work so it'll be interesting to see if this does resolve the problem. I'll update either way when i get the replacement.

Just updating after my previous post.

After receiving my replacement headset from Amazon I no longer seem to have the issue. I have plugged in the device about 10 times and it has worked every time. After leaving the device idle for 5 minutes i can still see the pc is still detecting 2 "Rift S USB Hubs" in device manager.

If you've exhausted all the possible software solutions it may be worth trying a replacement.

Leif_Pedersen
Honored Guest

I SOVED THE RESTART LOOP PROBLEM. I just went back to the store and got a replacement device, the new one worked perfectly the moment I plugged it in. 😕

I'm returning mine to amazon as faulty and waiting for a replacement but it'll be a while as there are currently none in stock. I've got to the point i would have to re-plug in the rift tens of time before it would work. Latest beta update has made no difference.

Oculus claimed replacing the hardware wouldn't work so it'll be interesting to see if this does resolve the problem. I'll update either way when i get the replacement.

Just updating after my previous post.

After receiving my replacement headset from Amazon I no longer seem to have the issue. I have plugged in the device about 10 times and it has worked every time. After leaving the device idle for 5 minutes i can still see the pc is still detecting 2 "Rift S USB Hubs" in device manager.

If you've exhausted all the possible software solutions it may be worth trying a replacement.

Thanks for the update. Glad replacing the device worked for you too! 😄

alb1221
Explorer
this problem just appeared on my personal headset AGAIN. Problem is shipping the thing will cost me money (I know I'd make it back) and I bought Alyx and a bunch of VR games when it was working--so I have to wait and hope this thing survives until I beat Alyx 😞 fml

FL-Simulators
Explorer
Did anyone try rolling back the firmware? 
See reddit.com post with title ''Rift S Display Port Not Found Fix: Driver Rollback & Detailed Instructions for Noobs''
reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/eoy744/rift_s_port_not_found_fix_driver_rollback/

I'm trying to fix some oculuses remotely so unfortunately I can't turn off the intern which is one of the steps

Coins135
Explorer

THIS JUST IN EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT

FROM SUPPORT:

Thanks for your patience while I reviewed your case. I'm sorry to hear about the issue you've encountered with your Rift S, and I'm happy to help!

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that an internal team has been investigating these reports.

After some significant review, a deeper analysis has indicated that a closer look at the optical cables is warranted.

In order to determine this, we'd like to request that you ship your cable back to us, if you're willing. I'd also like to request some additional information from you regarding the timeline of your experience with this issue.

Before any of that however, let's get you set up with a replacement cable. I'll need to gather some shipping information from you first. Please reply with your:

• Full name
  • Preferred shipping address
  • Phone number

Once I have that information I will process your replacement cable shipment, and provide you with the shipping estimates.

Please also let me know if you're willing to send in your current cable.

In the meantime, if you could please let me know the following, it would be very helpful:

• The approximate date of when you first set up your Rift S
  • The approximate date of when you first encountered this issue

I'm assuming the latter is around when you first contacted us, but I just wanted to make sure.

If you'd still like to return the Rift S, please provide me with your Oculus order number, and I will see what we can do. If you did not purchase the unit from Oculus, please refer to the retailer from whom you purchased the unit to pursue your return options.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I'll be happy to help!

Kind regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable
Coins135 sorry to break it to you but support is just wasting your time. I bought a new cable in my desperate attempt to try everything to fix my rift S after their updates broke it. The one that came actually is different because it is noticeably thinner. So now with the benefit of trying both types of cables I still experience this same problem as well as the stuttering.

hywomanvr
Honored Guest
I have experienced similar things.

in my case,
The USB connection worked fine, but when I connected the DP, the Oculus app went on and off repeatedly.

I've replaced my motherboard, power, USB card, and reinstalled Windows OS dozens of times.

Finally
I reinstalled Windows and tried to change my Windows account.

I was using Windows OS as an offline account,

Change to an email account (Microsoft), register, and reinstall Oculus.

Oculus app worked fine.

Note that
You must format and reinstall Windows OS and register your account when you reinstall.

Registering an account in [Settings] without formatting Windows did not work. 

I think the Oculus app is associated with a Windows account.

I still wonder why Windows accounts are important for running Oculus apps.

TristeCiel
Honored Guest

I have an
important update to you all.

I decided that it was enough. I’ve tried a lot of
software thing, bios, a Inateck Usb card, etc without any success. I decided to
give it a last chance and still in the store return policy, I decided to take
my chance to return it.

So now, my
new headset is working properly, being recognize in the oculus app, all green.
I did multiple reboot and shut down my system and it’s always all green…

I’m still
not sure about what is the problem. My new headset is the same date on the box
(2019/12). I wonder if we all got a bad patch or something or they changed something
down the road in the components. If it were to be a software issue or something
wrong with my computer the second headset should not have worked.

I’m only
speculating now, but maybe Oculus know about it but don’t know what to do about
the situation knowing that if they divulge this information it would mean a lot
of replacement and a bad reputation.

I will keep
in touch with you. I hope that you will all find solution. I hope my headset
will continue to work as advertise. I cross my finger. I really want to love
this product as I always dreamed to have an Oculus since Elite Dangerous came
out.

So it seem
that I’m with the ones that a replacement was the solution (for now). Oh and by
the way, my new Oculus Rift S become with a loose head band, the mechanism doesn’t
lock like the one I had previously… Yeah, I know…

(Sorry for
my English)

B)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you TristeCiel. You are the first person I've heard get these kinds of problems resolved with a new headset. I'm going to request a new one as well. There's nothing left for me to try and it doesn't look like an update will ever fix this.