New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift Build 14.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 279 Oculus Staff
edited February 26 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
All of these features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of February 24, 2020.

Oculus Link

• The Quest microphone has been re-enabled for use with Link.
  • A dedicated Oculus Link button has been added to the Oculus Quest menu bar to make jumping into Link quicker and easier. Similarly, a button was added to the Dash belt that allows you to quickly exit Link when using it.
  • Link audio and microphone volume controls have been added to Dash and the Oculus desktop app.
  • Moving forward, Oculus Link no longer requires that the Quest software and the PC software have matching version numbers. However, the two software versions must be within one version of the other. For example, Link will function when the Quest is on software version 14 and the PC is software version 15 or the PC software is version 14 and the Quest software is version 13. It will not work if Quest is on version 13 and PC is on version 15 or vice versa.
Miscellaneous
  • Fixed a bug that prevented Oculus Link from working when the resolution had been adjusted with the Oculus Debug Tool.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented Oculus Link from launching when the Link cable was disconnected and reconnected after ending a previous Link session.
  • Additional bug fixes and stability improvements

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,640 Valuable Player
    Great to see the mic has finally been enabled for Quest with Link. Also volume controls a nice addition.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,501 Volunteer Moderator
    Great news about the Link mic and the relaxed version-matching requirement!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 279 Oculus Staff
    Quick clarification regarding Link items: some of the new functionality listed here requires your Quest to be on v14 software. That hasn't started rolling out yet, so hang tight for that!
  • Heaney-555Heaney-555 Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    Quick clarification regarding Link items: some of the new functionality listed here requires your Quest to be on v14 software. That hasn't started rolling out yet, so hang tight for that!
    Does this include Link microphone, as in v14 will be needed on the Quest for mic?
  • suppenhuhnsuppenhuhn Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    will my USB-3 Connection work again ? because since the latest update ( PC ) oculus link doesn't work because it's only detecting my connection as USB-2.
    Did reinstall,repair updates etc. to fix this but no success
    greetings from bavaria
  • Oops01Oops01 Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    Why is this in the Rift S + Rift section as far as I can see its only for the link cable !!
    Oops01 said:
    Why is this in the Rift S + Rift section as far as I can see its only for the link cable !!
    "additional bug fixes and stability improvements"

;)
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,493 Oculus Start Member
    When? :smile:
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,533 Valuable Player
    Anyone got the Oculus Video app and can check using v14 PTC if there's sound when playing Vimeo videos? Thanks a lot!

Oculus Support asked me to check this, but it'll take hours to download v14 etc using my slow connection, sigh...
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • huliqanhuliqan Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    how to disable download oculus-worlds in each update???((( 
    I do not use the room, but with each update I have to download the extra 10 gigabytes!(((((((((((((((((((((((
    huliqan said:
    how to disable download oculus-worlds in each update???((( 
    I do not use the room, but with each update I have to download the extra 10 gigabytes!(((((((((((((((((((((((
    With each update??
    Don

RuneSR2 said:
    Anyone got the Oculus Video app and can check using v14 PTC if there's sound when playing Vimeo videos? Thanks a lot!

Oculus Support asked me to check this, but it'll take hours to download v14 etc using my slow connection, sigh...
    How in the world do you download all those games you play then?
    Don

• DaSpicDaSpic Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Is the ipd display pop up being fixed in quest?
  • SergeMeister1234SergeMeister1234 Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    Does anyone at all care about the insanely low performance of Unreal Engine games in Rift S? Seems the S has been pretty much abandoned and all focus on the quest, and in the process something has broken it
    | AMD Ryzen 3800X CPU | Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti 11G  | RAM: 16GB | PSU: 850W | W10 x64 | Simucube2 Ultimate Wheel Base | Precision Sim Engineering GT3 Wheel | HRS Xero-Play Quick Release | Fanatec CSS Shifter V1.5 | Heusinkveld Ultimate Pedals | Rift S | Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro Headphones | Sim-Lab P1 Racing Cockpit | Sparco Evo Seat
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 169
    Art3mis
    Tried V14 and all the same problems remain. Rift S is still unplayable after almost 3 months.
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • CallMeJay360CallMeJay360 Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    If V15 PTC doesn't include major fixes for the Rift S, Oculus is done for, ever since V12, people with the CV1 and Rift S have been having major issues with their HMDs, all because these people wanted to experiment merging the quest with PC HMDs, force Facebook down our throats and completely ignore anything and everything people have posted over and over, saying they've fixed or cannot replicate the issue with their stations, this is ridiculous and ever since Carmak moved on from VR, the Quality of software for VR had gone down by a lot, only remains a bunch of complacent and from what it seems, untrained workers who push out broken updates and go radio silent on their community, only focusing on the Oculus Quest.

Shame on you.
    Hiro Protagonist
    dburne said:
    With each update??
    Year! I delete 
    C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\OC_ASSET_FILES
    and
    C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Content
    folders and replace file Home2-Win64-Shipping.exe on homeless file
    after each update and oculus soft restores deleted files :(((((((((((((((((((((
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,255 Valuable Player
    To startup in homeless just go to your pc Oculus desktop app settings/ general and at around the bottom disable the start in oculus home slider.  Next time you startup you will be homeless.  I’ve been using it that way for +2 months and it works great.  Faster startup and fewer pc resources.  If you ever want to see your home you can press the house icon on your dashboard.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,190
    Wintermute
    If V15 PTC doesn't include major fixes for the Rift S, Oculus is done for, ever since V12, people with the CV1 and Rift S have been having major issues with their HMDs, all because these people wanted to experiment merging the quest with PC HMDs, force Facebook down our throats and completely ignore anything and everything people have posted over and over, saying they've fixed or cannot replicate the issue with their stations, this is ridiculous and ever since Carmak moved on from VR, the Quality of software for VR had gone down by a lot, only remains a bunch of complacent and from what it seems, untrained workers who push out broken updates and go radio silent on their community, only focusing on the Oculus Quest.

Shame on you.
    Interesting...
    • I have no major issues with my Rift S.
    • I don't seem to be having Facebook Stuffed down my throat
    • In general the quality of updates appear to be well executed
    Of course, I may just be the exception >:)

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 364
    Trinity
    RattyUK said:

Shame on you.
    Interesting...

Yep, same for me. I have had no problems since they fixed the 'white static flashes' way way back. :)
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
    RattyUK said:

Shame on you.
    Interesting...

Same here.
    Throughout each version change my Rift S has been working beautifully.
    Not to take anything away from those users who are experiencing issues as I am sure it is very frustrating, just to say it may not be quite as widespread as it might seem.
    Don

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 526
    Neo
    @RattyUK: While I don't have any issues at all with my Rift, we can't deny that the attention of Oculus VR shifted almost 100% towards the Quest and Facebook features. The very last real update we had on PC VR was the introduction of Dash, and that was more than 2 years ago. After that, ALL updates have been about social features (which do require a Facebook account, it's a fact) and Quest features. When it comes to PCVR, improvements were minor, and we got no new features at all.

That said, Link has the potential to be great, so I'm glad that they're focusing on that for now. The problem is we've been hanging on for way too long on the PCVR side. It's retarded that they didn't work on a performance mode that allows to run VR apps with the absolute minimum.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    @RattyUK: While I don't have any issues at all with my Rift, we can't deny that the attention of Oculus VR shifted almost 100% towards the Quest and Facebook features. The very last real update we had on PC VR was the introduction of Dash, and that was more than 2 years ago. After that, ALL updates have been about social features (which do require a Facebook account, it's a fact) and Quest features. When it comes to PCVR, improvements were minor, and we got no new features at all.

That said, Link has the potential to be great, so I'm glad that they're focusing on that for now. The problem is we've been hanging on for way too long on the PCVR side. It's retarded that they didn't work on a performance mode that allows to run VR apps with the absolute minimum.
    While you are quite welcome to your opinion on all this, I kinda disagree with most of them.  Again, just my opinion(s).

First of all I think that Oculus has done a very good job improving pcvr over the past couple of years.  For me (Rift cv1) up until ~1.38/1.39 I think that the performance/features improved quite a bit and the platform was very stable. Once v12 software was introduced it's been downhill.

I blame their need to make the Quest Link (which is still in beta btw) work at all costs.  Very silly imho and Oculus should have just kept separate software app for Rift (S and cv1) and the Quest Link.  At least until the Quest Link was stable and out of Beta.

As far as making pcvr work on the lowest PC specs possible by providing a performance mode that's just about the worse thing to do because it will do nothing but induce motion sickness and poor visual results.  If you want good pcvr then you need a good pcvr PC (even with the Quest Link).  WMR already has a low 60fps performance mode that you can even run with an integrated cpu.  Try it and I assure you will not like it (I tried this a long time ago btw).

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth.  I still have not got the v14 update but I suspect it isn't going to float my boat, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 169
    Art3mis
    RattyUK said:
    Interesting...

You are not the exception but if you research this issue you will find that there is an absolutely massive amount of people who have been unable to reliably use their Rift S since the version 12 driver release in December. Probably 50 posts here about it, even more on Reddit, some developers have even complained, and now Tech websites are publishing articles about it. Read some of the reviews on Amazon in the last couple months. The S is seriously p*ssing people off. Most people have no idea that the problems were introduced through an update, they just assume the hardware is flawed. 

Since I am one of the ones effected I am obviously not a big fan of Oculus anymore and the frequent updates for Quest or for silly additions (avatar features, etc..) are frustrating when they continue to ignore such a huge problem that renders our product useless.

Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 26
    TomCgcmfc said:
    To startup in homeless just go to your pc Oculus desktop app settings/ general and at around the bottom disable the start in oculus home slider. 
    No,it constantly keeps the dash running with grid and dash-panel ! And with oculus homeless file i have no dash and no room(home) !!!
    With oculus homeless file more performance !!!
    huliqan said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    To startup in homeless just go to your pc Oculus desktop app settings/ general and at around the bottom disable the start in oculus home slider. 
    No,it constantly keeps the dash running with grid and dash-panel ! And with oculus homeless file i have no dash and no room(home) !!!
    With oculus homeless file more performance !!!
    Ok, if you say so, lol!  I'm not sure why you would not want to be able to call up your dashboard when you need it?  Dash will still run in any case because it's the backbone of Oculus runtime.  Anyway, if you think it's doing you a lot of good, that's great imho.

• VampirePancakeNekoVampirePancakeNeko Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Will i be able to still buy an rift s or is it discontinued?