cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you regret buying an Oculus VR headset?

AllUpInYoFace
Honored Guest
I don't personally (Go & Quest), but I know lots of people who tried VR and couldn't get comfortable, so quickly stopped using their headsets. 
I guess fewer people around here are going to regret the purchase for that reason (!), but perhaps some wish you'd chosen an alternative headset?

I don't love that Facebook owns it/it's so locked down. 
31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

No regrets at all, particularly with the Rift S. It's a large step up from the Rift in terms of clarity, larger than I expected, and is sooooooooooo much more comfortable than the Rift that it's just plain ridiculous.

I'm really hoping that the Rift 2 will also have the Halo head strap because it's nothing short of incredible imo.

Agreed.

RattyUK
Trustee
No, not at all 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

MarZeloFdez
Protege
I have go, quest and rift and I love it 🙂
CEO y Fundador 

bunynin
Honored Guest
кирпич с момента распаковки, ни кто не помогает (((

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I don't regret buying an Oculus CV1, but I'm waiting for a proper updated Oculus VR headset now. I would probably have to purchase a used Oculus CV1 if this one becomes faulty. I'm not sure how long Oculus will continue to support outside in tracking, I just hope they support CV1 until a proper upgrade comes along.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

bunynin said:

кирпич с момента распаковки, ни кто не помогает (((

01hwg6viz81e.jpg
tqgozec00trd.jpg

https://support.oculus.com/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - Спасибо за разъяснение.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
@RidRizla - pa panse anyen sou li, mwen tap vwayaje desann sou wout sa de tout fason!

This is *ermnm* getting ... silly  😄  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

I don't regret buying an Oculus CV1, but I'm waiting for a proper updated Oculus VR headset now. I would probably have to purchase a used Oculus CV1 if this one becomes faulty. I'm not sure how long Oculus will continue to support outside in tracking, I just hope they support CV1 until a proper upgrade comes along.

Emm - they are moving away from outside in tracking - so you can pretty much call it "ended" already. They might continue "supporting" it in the future in terms of CV1 - but it's more of a "support it till it breaks - never to improve it". 

I dont regret buying Oculus stuff so far. At this point - most are just waiting for the next headset to come out... Rift S wasn't the upgrade everyone was hoping for - still a good purchase don't get me wrong. For me, Quest was the next step in purchasing anything after CV1 over Rift S - and I know a lot of people did the same. Still waiting for the true CV2 though - so whatever they come out with next (and not a GO replacement) should be what will respark the flame again.

Personally - so far - even though it does have its pros/cons - having FB own both its store and control has made Oculus VR still the better choice with good reason over others. Would I still like them to open up the store/software a little better - sure! but over all - with a bit more control on where the money goes - it does help in how the platform will fold out. If you look at other headsets that don't - you can see - it doesn't hold well either in pricing or its platform support very well. VR still pretty young - but it should start to see some maturity soon for all companies either at the end of this year or next with support from 3rd super platforms that should blur the line between it all.

As for some people not able to get into VR - you will have that with almost anything. Even games today can cause a lot of people not to "feel well" and give up the gaming. VR still even lacks lots of comfort controls that looking promising in the lab (such as eye tracking, auto IDP, auto eye relax, and auto focus). Some of that should be in the next headset release (hopefully), but still requires a new way of thinking on how something should work such as transparent glass thus wont be a simply "add in" that we hope it can be. Other things still also need to come out of the lab from Video Card makers such as RT and VFOV that help some of these hardware features into software either for performance reasons or overall compatibility.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

I'm really hoping that the Rift 2 will also have the Halo head strap because it's nothing short of incredible imo.

Given the new headset prototype designs we've been seeing lately, I hope the next Oculus headset has more of a "glasses" form factor rather than a bulky head strap.

httpsmk0uploadvrcom4bcwhjkinstacdncomwp-contentuploads201909Half-Dome-3-1jpg
Image result for vr glasses prototype

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo