New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Do you regret buying an Oculus VR headset?

AllUpInYoFaceAllUpInYoFace Posts: 2
NerveGear
I don't personally (Go & Quest), but I know lots of people who tried VR and couldn't get comfortable, so quickly stopped using their headsets. 
I guess fewer people around here are going to regret the purchase for that reason (!), but perhaps some wish you'd chosen an alternative headset?

I don't love that Facebook owns it/it's so locked down. 
Tagged:

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,033 Valuable Player
    edited February 25
    I bought the Rift CV1 in Jan 2017.
    I bought the Rift S in May 2019.
    I bought a Quest a 2-3 months later, and added the Oculus Link cable when it was available.

I have zero - and I mean zero - regrets on any of the above purchases. In fact I have been so thrilled with Oculus and their system, I stuck with them when many of my flight sim comrades were going Reverb and Index, or Pimax.

Rift CV1 is officially retired and back in it's original box for nostalgia purposes.
    Rift S is being used daily with my flight sims and other Oculus games. No telling how many hours I have in on that Rift S now (I am retired). The dang thing just works, and no muss or no fuss, every time.
    Quest is being used on occasion, both as stand alone in another room and also as a PC-VR device connected to my PC with Oculus Link. Just depends on the mood I am in and how dark the game is. ( dark looks better to me in Quest display).

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,764 Volunteer Moderator
    DK1, DK2, CV1, Go, Rift-S, Quest. All cool. I'm disappointed in the Rift-S (mainly sound and the controllers), but I don't regret it.
    Gear VR for Note 7 - now that's a regret. I only got to use it a couple of times then the Note 7 got recalled due to being a potential bomb. No later Note phones fit it, so it sits here unusable. It also just felt cheap, no match for a Go.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 946
    3Jane
    I have no regrets going from the DK2 to the CV1, and i even have a Go.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,388 Valuable Player
    I own:
    • Rift CV1
    • GO
    • Quest
    Zero regrets. They all have a purpose. In fact, I'll be traveling soon and look forward to having my GO on the plane.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,217 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 26
    DK2, CV1, S and Quest. No regrets at all and every headset I buy gets used more than the last.

Wasn’t sure how much use I'd get out of the Quest but turns out quite a lot. Am away from home more than I’d planned to be.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
  • AllUpInYoFaceAllUpInYoFace Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Interesting! 

Also second the comment about regret buying a Gear VR headset in the past - should have saved more at the time and gone for something better/more 'real'. Definitely Quest gets the most use for me. 
  • TUBSKEYTUBSKEY Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    At this point I regret it

Setup.exe just crashes cant even install software. Nothing has worked for me. Biggest waste of money. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,290 Valuable Player
    Owned DK2 and CV1.
    My only regret is not going in on the KSer for DK1.

I dont have any interest in "upgrading" to a RiftS or getting a quest however..... but I have high hopes for a quest version 2 hopefully next year
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,624 Valuable Player
    Rift cv1 w/2x sensors and Go.  Luv them both, esp. the Go for Travel.  I have no desire to get the current Quest right now.

My only recent regret is buying a Vive Cosmos, lol!  However, I'm still pretty happy with my Vive Pro.  I just wish Valve would start shipping Index controllers to Australia.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 946
    3Jane
    Owned DK2 and CV1.
    My only regret is not going in on the KSer for DK1.

I dont have any interest in "upgrading" to a RiftS or getting a quest however..... but I have high hopes for a quest version 2 hopefully next year

Unless there is a CV2 with the same comfort as the CV1 but with better lens, res per eye, same great audio, similar VR controllers and with external tracking, then i think i am done with FB VR products as none of their present VR devices tickle my fancy, BUT! you just never know what is around the corner, so who knows. ;)
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,545 Valuable Player
    No my CV1 has been great. Do I regret not buying an Oculus headset recently, then no. If the CV1 broke at this moment, damn I would be in a pickle.  I may have to buy a Rift S but it would be begrudgingly as a temporary measure whilst I wait for the next generation.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,427 Valuable Player
    TUBSKEY said:
    At this point I regret it

Setup.exe just crashes cant even install software. Nothing has worked for me. Biggest waste of money. 

Unless you have the same problem using the Oculus hmd on several compatible PCs, I'd think your problem isn't Oculus, but your PC. If the hmd is faulty, contact Oculus Support. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,972 Volunteer Moderator
    I placed day-one pre-orders for DK2, Rift CV1, Touch, Go, and Quest. Don't regret any of them (although I haven't touched my Go in ages, it was cheap, so whatever). I've been very happy with all of my Oculus hardware, and look forward to whatever comes next.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • VR2018FRVR2018FR Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 26
    YES ! Since   december 5yh  i'am stuck with an oculus rift-s stuck in that install software loop and display port not detected !
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 349
    Trinity
     DK1, DK2, CV1, Gear VR and Quest  Also Vive and HP Reverb. No regrets 
    Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,994 Valuable Player
    DK1, DK2, CV1, now the Rift S.  Gear VR Innovators Edition, Gear VR consumer edition and Oculus Quest.  

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,922 Valuable Player
    No regrets at all, particularly with the Rift S. It's a large step up from the Rift in terms of clarity, larger than I expected, and is sooooooooooo much more comfortable than the Rift that it's just plain ridiculous.

I'm really hoping that the Rift 2 will also have the Halo head strap because it's nothing short of incredible imo.
  • soulburn74soulburn74 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I've had the CV1 since '16 and loved its progression!! I use it regularly still! 
    snowdog said:
    No regrets at all, particularly with the Rift S. It's a large step up from the Rift in terms of clarity, larger than I expected, and is sooooooooooo much more comfortable than the Rift that it's just plain ridiculous.

I'm really hoping that the Rift 2 will also have the Halo head strap because it's nothing short of incredible imo.
    Agreed.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    No, not at all :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • marcelofdezmarcelofdez Posts: 35 Oculus Start Member
    I have go, quest and rift and I love it :-)
    CEO y Fundador 

• bunyninbunynin Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    кирпич с момента распаковки, ни кто не помогает (((
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,785 Valuable Player
    edited February 27
    I don't regret buying an Oculus CV1, but I'm waiting for a proper updated Oculus VR headset now. I would probably have to purchase a used Oculus CV1 if this one becomes faulty. I'm not sure how long Oculus will continue to support outside in tracking, I just hope they support CV1 until a proper upgrade comes along.
    edited February 27
    bunynin said:
    кирпич с момента распаковки, ни кто не помогает (((

https://support.oculus.com/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,785 Valuable Player
    @RuneSR2 - Спасибо за разъяснение.
    @RidRizla - pa panse anyen sou li, mwen tap vwayaje desann sou wout sa de tout fason!

This is *ermnm* getting ... silly  :D  

• MradrMradr Posts: 4,159 Valuable Player
    edited February 27
    RedRizla said:
    I don't regret buying an Oculus CV1, but I'm waiting for a proper updated Oculus VR headset now. I would probably have to purchase a used Oculus CV1 if this one becomes faulty. I'm not sure how long Oculus will continue to support outside in tracking, I just hope they support CV1 until a proper upgrade comes along.
    Emm - they are moving away from outside in tracking - so you can pretty much call it "ended" already. They might continue "supporting" it in the future in terms of CV1 - but it's more of a "support it till it breaks - never to improve it". 

I dont regret buying Oculus stuff so far. At this point - most are just waiting for the next headset to come out... Rift S wasn't the upgrade everyone was hoping for - still a good purchase don't get me wrong. For me, Quest was the next step in purchasing anything after CV1 over Rift S - and I know a lot of people did the same. Still waiting for the true CV2 though - so whatever they come out with next (and not a GO replacement) should be what will respark the flame again.

Personally - so far - even though it does have its pros/cons - having FB own both its store and control has made Oculus VR still the better choice with good reason over others. Would I still like them to open up the store/software a little better - sure! but over all - with a bit more control on where the money goes - it does help in how the platform will fold out. If you look at other headsets that don't - you can see - it doesn't hold well either in pricing or its platform support very well. VR still pretty young - but it should start to see some maturity soon for all companies either at the end of this year or next with support from 3rd super platforms that should blur the line between it all.

As for some people not able to get into VR - you will have that with almost anything. Even games today can cause a lot of people not to "feel well" and give up the gaming. VR still even lacks lots of comfort controls that looking promising in the lab (such as eye tracking, auto IDP, auto eye relax, and auto focus). Some of that should be in the next headset release (hopefully), but still requires a new way of thinking on how something should work such as transparent glass thus wont be a simply "add in" that we hope it can be. Other things still also need to come out of the lab from Video Card makers such as RT and VFOV that help some of these hardware features into software either for performance reasons or overall compatibility.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,972 Volunteer Moderator
    snowdog said:
    Given the new headset prototype designs we've been seeing lately, I hope the next Oculus headset has more of a "glasses" form factor rather than a bulky head strap.

httpsmk0uploadvrcom4bcwhjkinstacdncomwp-contentuploads201909Half-Dome-3-1jpg
    Image result for vr glasses prototype
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    I may be wrong and sincerely hope I am, but it would not surprise me to see the Rift S being the end of the line of Rift product and all the focus on Quest going forward.

Oculus recently stated they had more big news for VR coming later in the year so I am remaining hopefull the Rift line will be included in that news. I love my Rift S and very much want to see it improved on. I would be happy with a little larger FOV and a little better resolution. What I do not want to see is more talk of Half Dome 4, 5, and 6 with nothing ever coming to fruition...
    Don