New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift S stuck in software restart required loop

Comments

• TristeCielTristeCiel Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    alb1221 said:
    the update fixed the issue for me entirely on my devices, it fixed everything it seems

I was really hoping that this would work. I downloaded the last beta update, restarted my computer but it doesn't work. I still have to unplug and plug back the USB cable for the Rift S to work... :(
  • neilwatts86neilwatts86 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I SOVED THE RESTART LOOP PROBLEM. I just went back to the store and got a replacement device, the new one worked perfectly the moment I plugged it in. :/
    I'm returning mine to amazon as faulty and waiting for a replacement but it'll be a while as there are currently none in stock. I've got to the point i would have to re-plug in the rift tens of time before it would work. Latest beta update has made no difference.

Oculus claimed replacing the hardware wouldn't work so it'll be interesting to see if this does resolve the problem. I'll update either way when i get the replacement.
  • Boulder_MarkBoulder_Mark Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I’m still experiencing this problem. Constant battle of disconnecting and reconnecting the cables to get it recognised by the app. 

Now since the last update, to make it worse, I have to setup the Guardian again, EVERYTIME. 

This software is a load of £&&£!!

Have contacting support again asking if they are any closer to sorting. 

I am going to go down the same route as well. Replacement headset and if still have the same problems, full refund and I’ll get a different headset. 
  • BraverThoughtBraverThought Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Still having this issue, and i just installed the Inateck usb card that oculus recommends,  My device manager now has that yellow triangle, i have tried to do the uninstall driver/replug the usb method with no luck.  The other thing is i am still only having the 1 usb device pop up, its still missing the driver for the cameras. driver 2051.  not in registry or anything. so oculus thats where the issue is, why wont the 2051 driver install. 
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 771
    Trinity
    Have you connected the power supply to it ? How about try another slot, some setting in BIOS ?.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • BraverThoughtBraverThought Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Umpa_PC said:
    Have you connected the power supply to it ? How about try another slot, some setting in BIOS ?.
    Didnt get to troubleshooting long, so need to see if power is fully connected as the plug was shift. But it did come up as rift s. If I plug into the mobo 3.1 usb I dont get the triangle,  but still only 1 usb shows up.
  • FL-SimulatorsFL-Simulators Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited February 20
    alb1221 said:
    the update fixed the issue for me entirely on my devices, it fixed everything it seems
    Tried the Public channel update and I was hopeful because it installed new drivers and told me that I needed to restart the computer for the Oculus headset to operate correctly... but it did not solve it unfortunately :(
    NerveGear
    Atdab said:
    Hi guys, i just wanted to put an update here...as i have been facing the same issue with the "Restart Required Loop" for about a week and tried a bunch of things downgrading the firmware etc, and nothing worked. But now i have resolved the issue, with a solid green all the time even restarting etc, still solid for the past few days. 

Its seems that the USB doesn't have enough power to keep the oculus active. you will notice that when it works, in device manager, you will have two usb rift hub and when it doesn't there will be only one. 

So i went and bought a USB 3.0 powered Hub. meaning one that has external power adapter connected to it. and i plugged the usb from the oculus to that. since then NO ISSUES at all. It s been solid everytime. 

So for those facing that issue give that a try and let me know if that works for you. 

Oh just so you know i am not running the oculus with the latest updates 2.2 and also i did a clean install too . 
    Great so the solution is at our own expense. The product should work out of the box. This has been a big issue since it was released and Oculus have been quoted to say they are looking into it as a priority! Several months later still no solution and 15-20 minutes of messing around with the headset to get it recognised before I can even use it, every time, has finally pissed off too much. 

It’s poor. I purchased mine through Amazon UK. I got on to their product support (because Oculus support seem to not be addressing it) and as soon as I mentioned the problem they immediately offered to refund or replace the item. Seems they are well aware of the problem!!! So I have asked for a replacement, although have to wait a couple weeks for new stock. If a new one doesn’t solve it for me, I’ll return that one for a refund. 
  • AtdabAtdab Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    "Oh just so you know i am not running the oculus with the latest updates 2.2 and also i did a clean install too . "

Typing mistake. I meant i am using the Latest versions
  • HyperPTHyperPT Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Having same issue, will try the usb-c adapter thingy, hope it works.

Kinda tired of having to setup everyfreakingtime i restart my pc -_-
  • Cuth22Cuth22 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I received my rift s on the 19th, and I am having this issue as well, so its def not fixed with a newer batch. 
  • neilwatts86neilwatts86 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I SOVED THE RESTART LOOP PROBLEM. I just went back to the store and got a replacement device, the new one worked perfectly the moment I plugged it in. :/
    I'm returning mine to amazon as faulty and waiting for a replacement but it'll be a while as there are currently none in stock. I've got to the point i would have to re-plug in the rift tens of time before it would work. Latest beta update has made no difference.

Oculus claimed replacing the hardware wouldn't work so it'll be interesting to see if this does resolve the problem. I'll update either way when i get the replacement.
    Just updating after my previous post.

After receiving my replacement headset from Amazon I no longer seem to have the issue. I have plugged in the device about 10 times and it has worked every time. After leaving the device idle for 5 minutes i can still see the pc is still detecting 2 "Rift S USB Hubs" in device manager.

If you've exhausted all the possible software solutions it may be worth trying a replacement.
  • Leif.PedersenLeif.Pedersen Posts: 5
    NerveGear

Just updating after my previous post.

After receiving my replacement headset from Amazon I no longer seem to have the issue. I have plugged in the device about 10 times and it has worked every time. After leaving the device idle for 5 minutes i can still see the pc is still detecting 2 "Rift S USB Hubs" in device manager.

If you've exhausted all the possible software solutions it may be worth trying a replacement.
    Thanks for the update. Glad replacing the device worked for you too! :D
  • alb1221alb1221 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited February 24
    this problem just appeared on my personal headset AGAIN. Problem is shipping the thing will cost me money (I know I'd make it back) and I bought Alyx and a bunch of VR games when it was working--so I have to wait and hope this thing survives until I beat Alyx :( fml
    NerveGear
    Did anyone try rolling back the firmware? 
    See reddit.com post with title ''Rift S Display Port Not Found Fix: Driver Rollback & Detailed Instructions for Noobs''
    reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/eoy744/rift_s_port_not_found_fix_driver_rollback/

I'm trying to fix some oculuses remotely so unfortunately I can't turn off the intern which is one of the steps

• Coins135Coins135 Posts: 3
    NerveGear

THIS JUST IN EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT

FROM SUPPORT:

Thanks for your patience while I reviewed your case. I'm sorry to hear about the issue you've encountered with your Rift S, and I'm happy to help!

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that an internal team has been investigating these reports.

After some significant review, a deeper analysis has indicated that a closer look at the optical cables is warranted.

In order to determine this, we'd like to request that you ship your cable back to us, if you're willing. I'd also like to request some additional information from you regarding the timeline of your experience with this issue.

Before any of that however, let's get you set up with a replacement cable. I'll need to gather some shipping information from you first. Please reply with your:

• Full name
    • Preferred shipping address
    • Phone number

Once I have that information I will process your replacement cable shipment, and provide you with the shipping estimates.

Please also let me know if you're willing to send in your current cable.

In the meantime, if you could please let me know the following, it would be very helpful:

• The approximate date of when you first set up your Rift S
    • The approximate date of when you first encountered this issue

I'm assuming the latter is around when you first contacted us, but I just wanted to make sure.

If you'd still like to return the Rift S, please provide me with your Oculus order number, and I will see what we can do. If you did not purchase the unit from Oculus, please refer to the retailer from whom you purchased the unit to pursue your return options.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I'll be happy to help!

Kind regards,

• adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    Coins135 sorry to break it to you but support is just wasting your time. I bought a new cable in my desperate attempt to try everything to fix my rift S after their updates broke it. The one that came actually is different because it is noticeably thinner. So now with the benefit of trying both types of cables I still experience this same problem as well as the stuttering.
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • hywomanvrhywomanvr Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have experienced similar things.

in my case, The USB connection worked fine, but when I connected the DP, the Oculus app went on and off repeatedly.

I've replaced my motherboard, power, USB card, and reinstalled Windows OS dozens of times.

Finally I reinstalled Windows and tried to change my Windows account.

I was using Windows OS as an offline account, Change to an email account (Microsoft), register, and reinstall Oculus.

Oculus app worked fine.

Note that You must format and reinstall Windows OS and register your account when you reinstall. Registering an account in [Settings] without formatting Windows did not work. 

I think the Oculus app is associated with a Windows account. I still wonder why Windows accounts are important for running Oculus apps.

• TristeCielTristeCiel Posts: 2
    NerveGear

I have an important update to you all.

I decided that it was enough. I’ve tried a lot of software thing, bios, a Inateck Usb card, etc without any success. I decided to give it a last chance and still in the store return policy, I decided to take my chance to return it.

So now, my new headset is working properly, being recognize in the oculus app, all green. I did multiple reboot and shut down my system and it’s always all green…

I’m still not sure about what is the problem. My new headset is the same date on the box (2019/12). I wonder if we all got a bad patch or something or they changed something down the road in the components. If it were to be a software issue or something wrong with my computer the second headset should not have worked.

I’m only speculating now, but maybe Oculus know about it but don’t know what to do about the situation knowing that if they divulge this information it would mean a lot of replacement and a bad reputation.

I will keep in touch with you. I hope that you will all find solution. I hope my headset will continue to work as advertise. I cross my finger. I really want to love this product as I always dreamed to have an Oculus since Elite Dangerous came out.

So it seem that I’m with the ones that a replacement was the solution (for now). Oh and by the way, my new Oculus Rift S become with a loose head band, the mechanism doesn’t lock like the one I had previously… Yeah, I know…

(Sorry for my English)

B)

• adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    edited February 27
    Thank you TristeCiel. You are the first person I've heard get these kinds of problems resolved with a new headset. I'm going to request a new one as well. There's nothing left for me to try and it doesn't look like an update will ever fix this.
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
    NerveGear
    TriteCiel, so it might be a bad production batch after all. 
    Coins 123 also mentioned Oculus is looking into cable issues, so they might be on to something.
    Let's hope for a clear and permanent solution soon
    NerveGear
    Ok folks. I got a replacement from Amazon UK. No questions asked when I told them of the problem. so I reckon it is common or at least they have been made aware. 

I have used the new one several times now and guess what........it works. No restart loop problems. Long may it continue. 

However Since one of the recent software updates I am having problem now with the guardian settings not be saved. So I have to go through setting that up every time!! This was a result of the software update. Was the same on my old headset and this new one. 
  • terrycornwallterrycornwall Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    This is a copy of an emails I have sent to Oculus suppoprt, I kept calm and I must say they were really helpful I am now up and running with my Oculus running well and as it should.

1. My pc was switched off all night and when I switched it on this morning everything with Oculus was fine. Then after 3 starts of my pc just to check everything was working well back we went to the same problem.
    2. I then checked the device manager and I did ‘VIEW’ ‘SHOW ALL HIDDEN DEVICES’ and uninstalled anything that was greyed out.
    3. I then Unplugged all USB’s, I only kept for obvious reasons my keyboard and mouse and Oculus usb plugged in and closed my PC down.
    4. I then plugged in each individual usb device, 1 at a time and closed/restarted my pc for each device each time to determine if there was 1 device that was causing the problem.
    5. When I plugged in my Roccat headphones and restarted my pc I found the condition came back again.
    6. So I went to Device manager and uninstalled all greyed out usb’s indicated and closed my pc and took out the usb to the Headphones then restarted my pc.
    7. I Restarted and everything was ok. I did 3 restarts just to check and all seems to be ok.
    8. I then closed my pc for about 5 mins and then plugged my Headphone usb into another port and all was well.

Can I also bring to your attention the following as I had never used Oculus and had to start from scratch AND THIS DID CAUSE ME PROBLEMS IN THE INITIAL SETUP.  I think it would be a good idea for oculus to point these 2 items out.

1.    The Oculus App cannot be installed when a users name has a space in it i.e. A SMITH will not allow the software to be installed however the user name ASMITH can be used. It took me quite some time which indicated on the forum to figure this out
    2.    If you need to load the App onto any other disk than your c: drive you need to, for Windows 10, right click with a mouse and select the RUN command, and then type in  the following  without the ‘’    ‘’ C:\Users\xxxx\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe /drive=H ‘’
    where xxxx is the user name,
    c: is the windows os and 
    H is the disk you wish the software to be loaded.
    I had problems with an error appearing when I tried to install with my user which has a space in it and I had to create a new user.
    Also I did not have enough space on my system drive C: for the Oculus APP.
    I would suggest that the App setup gives you the option to load the App on a drive of the users choice, and also to not have the situation where you have to create a new user without a space.
    I have to be honest I have never had software behave in such a peculiar manner.

• tocaedittocaedit Posts: 3
    NerveGear

We fought with this debacle this week on a clients machine with 2 brand new units purchased from Amazon, tried all the solutions and came up empty and had to go back to CV1 for now. Seems to be a bad batch, or something introduced in the new software/firmware updates because we have some older Rift S's that work perfectly on identical hardware and Windows versions. To make things worse, Rift S's are unavailable everywhere due to Coronavirus, and the ones that are available are marked up 600+ dollars when they are normally 399.

I have hopes Oculus will resolve this in coming months, just unfortunate for those experiencing this as a new user and gives a bad look for the VR industry as a whole.

• WitgangWitgang Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    i have the same problem and i can bet it is not a hardware problem but a software one, reason being that if i restart my PC everything works fine, if i start my PC and just leave the headset plugged in for a while the white LED turns red  after that the only way to get it working is to restart pc again. the pain is that it worked just fine as  it came out of the box, but after an update or two it broke, also after the updates i get the "no audio problem"  i hope they fix this once and for all, it's been so long since this problem was reported and it's still a thing after so many updates.
  • PhantomanPhantoman Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited March 5
    This is a copy of an emails I have sent to Oculus suppoprt, I kept calm and I must say they were really helpful I am now up and running with my Oculus running well and as it should.

1. My pc was switched off all night and when I switched it on this morning everything with Oculus was fine. Then after 3 starts of my pc just to check everything was working well back we went to the same problem.
    2. I then checked the device manager and I did ‘VIEW’ ‘SHOW ALL HIDDEN DEVICES’ and uninstalled anything that was greyed out.
    3. I then Unplugged all USB’s, I only kept for obvious reasons my keyboard and mouse and Oculus usb plugged in and closed my PC down.
    4. I then plugged in each individual usb device, 1 at a time and closed/restarted my pc for each device each time to determine if there was 1 device that was causing the problem.
    5. When I plugged in my Roccat headphones and restarted my pc I found the condition came back again.
    6. So I went to Device manager and uninstalled all greyed out usb’s indicated and closed my pc and took out the usb to the Headphones then restarted my pc.
    7. I Restarted and everything was ok. I did 3 restarts just to check and all seems to be ok.
    8. I then closed my pc for about 5 mins and then plugged my Headphone usb into another port and all was well.

Thanks for sharing these steps. I followed them and figured out that the issue was being caused by my Thrustmaster GPX Controller.

Edit: Looks like I celebrated too early, the problem came back  :/ Worked fine the day before after multiple reboots, but not today.
  • freddapfreddap Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I contacted Oculus Support again. It's been a month since I contacted them. I got a reply from Oculus Suppport yesterday that they are sending me a replacement cable for my Oculus Rift S.

Meanwhile, I built my own USB 3.0 cable with ON / OFF switch:
    i.imgur.com/2oXeQ0t.jpg

I searched online but what was available was only USB 2.0 ones.

Here is a demo how it works for the ones interested:
    youtu.be/AB_YsiObeHs
  • Coins135Coins135 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.......EXTRA EXTRA READ MORE ABOUT THIS SHIT......JUST GOT THE NEW CABLE FROM SUPPORT......READ COMMENT ABOVE....I HAVE SPENT ANOTHER 2.5 HOURS RESETTING UP WITH NEW CABLE....GUESS WHAT......NO FING PROBLEM SOLVED...STILL HAVE TO DO THE USB UNPLUG AND REPLUG....THIS IS THE WORTH SERVICE I HAVE SEEN IN MY LIFE.....WORSE THAN TEMPLATE TOASTER WHICH IS IN INDIA......FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT BUY THIS......SAVE YOUR SELF SOMETIME AND HEARTACHE.....A NEW CABLE WILL NOT WORK....SUPPORT DOES NOT WORK....THIS BATCH OF THE RIFT S IS GARBAGE....STOP JERKING PEOPLE AROUND AND ISSUE RMAS....THERE'S A PROBLEM....THEY KNOW THERE'S A PROBLEM.....WHY I AM I SUPPORTING A COMPANY THAT MADE BILLIONS OFF SELLING OUR DATA  TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER.......ITS TIME TO REVOLT
  • Green-BeanGreen-Bean Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    After following this thread and trying the different methods for months now, I was sent a new cable from Oculus Support. My headset has now been working consistently for multiple days in a row after installing the cable when previously I would have to mess with it for hours to maybe get it to work. While I understand not everyone's issues are being resolved by the new cables, I would recommend trying it if you haven't.
  • freddapfreddap Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I received my replacement cable today. It solved all my problems I had before. Port Reset Failed error is gone and I don't have to use my powered usb hub anymore. Just to be sure, I rebooted/shutdown my PC several times and it still works as intended.

It must have been a bad batch of cables in my case. 

For all of you who have the same problem as me. Ask for a replacement cable. If this does not help, return the headset.