cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
I already posted this on a Quest forum, but I thought I'd link the vid in here as well cause of the whole Index thing in the vid too (index part starts at 17:05).

TLDR: In terms of hours spent in VR, Index is my main headset. But I'll be a hypocrite and boldly say that Quest is still the best first choice for a new VR user (mainly due to its modability - e.g. the 15 degree FOV increase hack):

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Something is brewing in Mordor, or is it New Shire  😄 

Introducing SteamVR Version 1.10
"The Dashboard Update" (1.10.20)

Update Highlights

Today’s update features an improved Dashboard that gets you into your games quickly.

The new dashboard is closer and curved for increased clarity, and presents a recent games list for jumping in right away. Desktop View now features individually resizable monitors, easier access to the keyboard, and a lights-off mode for enhanced contrast.

Full Update Notes

SteamVR Dashboard:

• All-new dashboard, including an updated quick launcher.
  • Moved dashboard closer and added curvature.
  • Convenience feature: Quickly change volume by dragging left/right on the dashboard volume button.
  • Moved Dashboard Settings into Dashboard Page (advanced).
  • Added Dashboard position control (advanced)
  • Added Dashboard Settings to toggle UI elements.
  • Dashboard is re-positioned when you put on the HMD.
  • Refined keyboard appearance
  • Added a three second countdown before resetting the seated tracking origin through the dashboard.
  • Fixed face mouse on any headset using the generic_hmd controller type. (That is essentially every headset that doesn’t have a button, so Windows Mixed Reality and some others.).
  • Fix dashboard overlay tabs still showing even if vr::VROverlayFlags_VisibleInDashboard is false.
  • Fixed bug in IVROverlay::GetPrimaryDashboardDevice (returning the wrong thing when non-controller buttons brings up the dashboard for the first time ).
  • Fixed long messages sent to IVROverlay::ShowMessageOverlay cutting off the text and pushing the buttons off the bottom of the overlay for very long messages.
  • Fix list of overlays in “choose startup overlay apps” in the startup/shutdown settings.
  • Hid base station and camera rendering while the dashboard is visible.
  • Added Library welcome screen (when no games are installed).
  • Performance improvements while dashboard is visible.
  • Added haptic binding for Touch controllers in VR Dashboard.

SteamVR Desktop View:

• Split Desktop View into individual tabs for each system display.
  • Desktop View remembers the most recently viewed desktop.
  • Easier double clicking (laser mouse position is locked during clicks).
  • Added per-desktop scale control.
  • Added button to toggle keyboard.
  • Added “lights-off” mode.
  • Added support for swapped left/right primary mouse buttons.
  • Automatically detects changes in monitor topology.
  • Improved I-Beam cursor on high-DPI displays.
  • Enabled desktop view for monitors attached to a non-HMD GPU.

SteamVR:

• Restore texture size round to multiple of 4 for WindowsMR HMDs in GetRecommendedRenderTargetSize.
  • Settings UI supersample settings show the rounded resolution to match the internal behavior.
  • Fix “do not disturb” setting for notifications not taking effect until restart.
  • Fixed a bug where audio mirroring would not stay disabled after a SteamVR restart
  • Smoothed editor app connections by letting them send connection details through vr_init.
  • Lighthouse controllers and trackers can now go to the idle and standby states even if the HMD has not gone into standby. Fixed a bug where controllers could bounce between standby and active multiple times.
  • Fix a case where SteamVR would “forget” that an Unreal game was running after about a minute of playtime.
  • Added Overlay Render Quality Setting (Settings -> Video Advanced)
  • Fixed a crash bug in Room Setup
  • Fixed a crash bug in the Tutorial
  • Added cosmos support to the Tutorial
  • Updated some of the visuals and audio levels in the Tutorial
  • The Tutorial will no longer automatically start for headsets that have their own runtimes and chaperone, including Oculus Rift and Windows Mixed Reality. The Tutorial can still be started manually. Users with these headsets will instead see an overlay demonstrating how to access the SteamVR dashboard the first time they use SteamVR.
  • Performance improvements.

SteamVR Home:

• Fixed voice chat.
  • Fix for showing render models for generic tracked objects (e.g. Logitech Stylus).
  • Fixed rendering issues with the glow selection effect.
  • Fixed haptics triggered from scripts from being sent to all players.
  • Fixed missing help strings in tools.
  • Fixed some cases of unstable physics.
  • Fixed Rift-only tools crash.
  • Tools: Added option for map creators to bake lighting into textures.
  • Tools: Enabled cubemap fog.
  • Performance improvements.

SteamVR Input:

• Added “max zone” support to thumbsticks and trackpads. This is a region at the edge of the range that defines where 1.0 is.
  • Added dead zone support for trackpads to match thumbsticks.
  • Added “exponent” support for thumbsticks and trackpads. This lets a binding file control the curve of values between the deadzone and the max zone.
  • Added support for keeping a button “pressed” until the user stops touching that button. This can be useful in cases where the button needs to be pressed for a long time and holding the physical button down would cause fatigue.
  • Improved the performance of IVRInput::GetDigitalActionData and IVRInput::GetAnalogActionData.
  • Added descriptive tool-tips to multiple items in the Binding UI.
  • Added new Vive tracker roles for Knees and Elbows.
  • Added debugger to help developers and controller binding authors diagnose input issues with applications. To enable this option, turn on input debugging in developer settings, and then click the “Input Debugger” button in the controller settings.
  • Added Windows Mixed Reality controllers to the list of controller types that can be edited when the controller isn't physically present. This requires the Windows Mixed Reality driver to be installed, but does not require that any Windows Mixed Reality hardware be connected to the PC.
  • Fixed tracker positions not working for trackers that were configured to anything other than left or right hand.
  • Added ability to specify default legacy bindings via an action manifest via the boolean ‘legacy_binding_manifest’ node.
  • Fix a crash when an application manifest is corrupt.
  • Fixed applications failing to launch properly that were missing an ‘action_sets’ member in their action manifest.

Linux:

• Fixed a case where the dashboard would disappear.
  • Fixed a vrwebhelper crash on shutdown.
  • Fixed the 'Restart SteamVR' and other URL based shortcuts that are part of the new settings interface.

Index

• Max brightness extended to 160.

Oculus:

• Added headset icons for Oculus Quest.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Who actually owns an Index here?  Is it a step up from the Rift S or is it a huge step up from the Rift S?

Thanks.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Who actually owns an Index here?  Is it a step up from the Rift S or is it a huge step up from the Rift S?

Thanks.

I have the Index, but not the Rift-S - in Boneworks Index is an incredible step up from CV1 ss 2.0. Also fov is much bigger than CV1 and 120+ hz is awesome - but my GTX 1080 is too slow in most games. But of course Index will have similar restrictions as Rift-S compared to oled hmds. 

Valve - it seems according to VNN - now says new Index stock will be available Match 9th - but maybe only for a few minutes, lol  B)

fjp98ycpbdln.jpg

https://youtu.be/uVWqX1NyP-M

Search Index Reddit for Rift-S vs. Index comparisons, there are several. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Ok, it's not just VNN, it's official:

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/1234972759337230336

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

Thanks.

Got both (or at least I had both - Sold my Rift S couple of weeks ago).

I think it depends on who you talk to and what they prefer. For me, FOV gain is more important than the resolution gain between the two. I hacked my Quest to do Rift S' job but with a massive FOV boost, and sold my Rift S (see my vid in this thread just a few posts above).

Sounds like you're contemplating an upgrade, so I'll mention that Index is not a replacement for Rift S. Index is a great headset, and I'm spending a majority of my VR time in it, now that I own one. But I'm not sure that it's worth the 2.5 times the price of, say, Quest (which, when fully modded, is waaay ahead of Rift S - again, see the vid I made).

Index also has glare comparable to CV1, and it doesn't look great when using ReVive. So if you decide to get one, keep your old headset. You'll need it for Oculus titles.

To answer your question - for me, Index is a step up, but not a huge one.

If you happen to be in Vancouver, consider yourself invited to come by, test my two rigs out and compare.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
It's starting - now, guess it's 10 AM in Los Angeles right now - ok, 10:08  ❤️

Time to put the kids to bed "But hey Dad, it's only 7 PM! Yes, my sons, but you're looking so tired"  o:) 😄 (Ok, joking, I'll have to wait a few more hours  :s )

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/fdgqxx/join_me_in_the_new_alyx_home_enviornment/

y05f41ndrze3.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
PS. Dude on Reddit seemed too quick - Alyx homes don't seem ready yet - read the comments:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/fdgqxx/join_me_in_the_new_alyx_home_enviornment/

But fine with me, won't mind waiting another max. 2 hours 😉

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just got an email from Valve a few minutes ago - now it's time to consider getting extra controllers, lol

rcm3ewtacndp.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Alyx-inspired SteamVR Homes are now available:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/fdkhr7/steamvrhome_enviroments_launched_for_half_life/

kkt4nhaq4mjl.jpg
q5sr20ipa24k.jpg