cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More  ❤️

d12e8wej1fmk.jpg
prwksb8xx1dn.jpg
g337c3lf0xc6.jpg
0fwzrrmznwnt.jpgi99onw9hom4o.jpg
5ng1i1yrsu8c.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
That looks like an old voodoo card lol. Them good old days of multi chip co-processors

Wildt
Consultant

Mradr said:

That looks like an old voodoo card lol. Them good old days of multi chip co-processors

Yup. And you can run Half Life on them:
https://thegeek.games/2019/03/12/half-life-running-on-voodoo-gpus-a-modder-made-it-possible-video/
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Ok which nice rich index owner is going to host steamvr rooms so all us non index poor cv1,vive, S, WMR owners can come look around the preview rooms......i promise i won't steam anything. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Luciferous
Consultant
All round runes for a VR sleep over 🙂

Who actually owns an Index here?  Is it a step up from the Rift S or is it a huge step up from the Rift S?

Thanks.

Got both (or at least I had both - Sold my Rift S couple of weeks ago).

I think it depends on who you talk to and what they prefer. For me, FOV gain is more important than the resolution gain between the two. I hacked my Quest to do Rift S' job but with a massive FOV boost, and sold my Rift S (see my vid in this thread just a few posts above).

Sounds like you're contemplating an upgrade, so I'll mention that Index is not a replacement for Rift S. Index is a great headset, and I'm spending a majority of my VR time in it, now that I own one. But I'm not sure that it's worth the 2.5 times the price of, say, Quest (which, when fully modded, is waaay ahead of Rift S - again, see the vid I made).

Index also has glare comparable to CV1, and it doesn't look great when using ReVive. So if you decide to get one, keep your old headset. You'll need it for Oculus titles.

To answer your question - for me, Index is a step up, but not a huge one.

If you happen to be in Vancouver, consider yourself invited to come by, test my two rigs out and compare.

I am considering the upgrade.  The only thing that puts me off is the tracking.  I never want to go back to outside-in.

Thanks for the info Ivan.  Not sure how you can say the Quest is better than the Rift S - i had to sell my Quest after a few weeks - couldn't handle the downgrade in textures.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

I am considering the upgrade.  The only thing that puts me off is the tracking.  I never want to go back to outside-in.

Thanks for the info Ivan.  Not sure how you can say the Quest is better than the Rift S - i had to sell my Quest after a few weeks - couldn't handle the downgrade in textures.

Outside-in, as far as tracking goes, is better tracking. But the pain of dealing with cables and lighthouses is definitely added friction. I got mine installed in a way that hides cables but I hope I don't have to make any changes to my setup for years to come.

As far as Quest Vs. Rift S, check out the video I posted above in this very thread. Here's the link, just in case:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/733160/#Comment_733160

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

OmegaM4N said:

Ok which nice rich index owner is going to host steamvr rooms so all us non index poor cv1,vive, S, WMR owners can come look around the preview rooms......i promise i won't steam anything. lol

Lol

I hosted a room last night (two actually), and I'll do it again tonight if you'd like. Luckily I have a kick-ass connection, so it should be a smooth experience for everyone.

Side note - if you have a large playspace, try going out of bounds (walk IRL to a corner of your room, face the opposite corner, then teleport to the edge of play area and walk IRL past the edge. Then turn 180° twice - once IRL and once in VR, then rinse and repeat).

I did this yesterday, walked waaay past the available playspace and was treated with an amazing otherwise inaccessible environments.

You'll end up seeing through walls in some locations due to being on the back side of a rendered plane, but even so, the level of (and attention to) detail is astounding.

Oh, and make sure you're supersampling as hard as your headset will allow - textures are the best I've ever seen

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

All round runes for a VR sleep over 🙂

Umm, visitors? Me? Suddenly the name @Comrade_Ivan, @MowTin and @Shadowmask72 spring to mind  o:)

Haven't even tried it yet - had to do some work, then the download finished 0:09 AM - had to go to bed.

And today we've got no cable connection - the phone company has dug up the entire pavement to provide fiber internet - and unfortunately seems to have disconnected my connection. I've hooked up my Samsung S10+ and shared my 4G connection, but due to GB limitation told the kids there's no YouTube or Netflix. A technician won't be here before Monday. Signal strength in the VR man cave is quite weak.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Oh, and make sure you're supersampling as hard as your headset will allow - textures are the best I've ever seen

Better than Boneworks, when Boneworks textures are best?

Although it looks like Valve copied Dash, the new SteamVR user interface is really awesome - but not sure having a home in City 17 is ... cosy... We'll see  😄